Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Car Purchase.. HELP!?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Thinking about the fact that you won't be doing too much mileage why not look at an Alfa 159 3.2 V6 :drool:

Why limit yourself to relatively gutless Eurobox? :smile:

:

Last edited:

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I just bought a new Golf SE 1.6 TDi

Picked it up a couple of days ago.

Loving it so far and would recommend...!

I went for the GTi version with the DSG gearbox and flappy paddle gear change. and the wife's commute in it is only 2 miles each way. :)
Had to go petrol as for a diesel model that commute would have destroyed the DPF.
absolute joy to drive. You cant go wrong with a Golf.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Get a civic or ibiza, each for about a grand (both reliable).....and spend 5 grand going around the world for a year when you have time.

How are you going to go around the world for a year on a poxy 5k.
Cost more than that for a 2 week family holiday. (school holidays)

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
Check out the ads on the forum. Some bloke going under the name of SouthCoastOwl is selling a really lovely BMW 120d.

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
Just bought my wife a little Kia picanto. It's a great car, cheap to run and has everything you would need. You also get a 7 year warranty

Ceej

Feb 1, 2013
Manchester
For that money and that mileage, go petrol. How about a Mazda 3 Sport with Bose stereo. Really really nice to drive, fantastic sounds, never goes wrong (VW/Audi TSI engine great but one or two potential problems). Whatever you get, enjoy it :)

I went for the GTi version with the DSG gearbox and flappy paddle gear change. and the wife's commute in it is only 2 miles each way. :)
Had to go petrol as for a diesel model that commute would have destroyed the DPF.
absolute joy to drive. You cant go wrong with a Golf.

When/if you've got the engine in economy mode and you're using the automatic gears, do you find the gearbox a bit slow to downshift when you need power?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Why would you want to spend all that money on a 10 mile round trip?

Why shouldn't he spend that much if he wants to? He obviously has the money to spare and wants to drive something half-decent, I don't see the problem with that.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Go for a Golf 1.4 TSI. Performance of a 2-litre, economy of a 1.4. Brilliant, brilliant engine, and car.

110% in my top 2. As it stands, it's currently the 1.4 TSI (absolute beast for a 1.4 engine!!) or 1.6 A3.

For that money and that mileage, go petrol. How about a Mazda 3 Sport with Bose stereo. Really really nice to drive, fantastic sounds, never goes wrong (VW/Audi TSI engine great but one or two potential problems). Whatever you get, enjoy it :)

I don't know much about Mazda's at all, the 3 fits into my budget and looks nice enough, I'll have to do a bit of research! Thanks for the suggestion.

Why shouldn't he spend that much if he wants to? He obviously has the money to spare and wants to drive something half-decent, I don't see the problem with that.

:salute:

JBenno

Jun 29, 2011
Upper Beeding
I have all 3 on my rental fleet. All have pros/cons.

The 1 series is probably the most fun, but is relatively uncomfortable at times. Suspension is hard and so are the seats. Also the boot is strangley small. BMW have a slightly offset driving postion (pedal alignment to seat postion) and for that reason I can never get comfortable driving a manaul one, although the automatic versions are fine.

As previously mentioned, The A3 and Golf are very similar - even down to the switches and dashboard systems they share alot of the same features. The Audi does look great though, especially the S-line version with sport trim/wheels etc.

If you were to buy s diesel version, you do have to think about the Diesel Particular filter (DPF) as it can get blocked if the car doesn't have a decent blast on the motorway every week or so. But I would recomend the diesel engine over the petrol as all 3 cars are fairly heavy and feel under-powered with 1.6 petrol engines in them.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
110% in my top 2. As it stands, it's currently the 1.4 TSI (absolute beast for a 1.4 engine!!) or 1.6 A3.

Well then it's a no-brainer – Golf all the way.

I guess everyone is different, but if you REALLY want to go down the Audi route, at least go for an A3 with the same engine (TFSI), as opposed to the older and inferior 1.6.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
If anyone is interested in buying my Peugeot 107 ('13 reg, 3000 miles), I'll be selling it next month as I need the extra cash for uni. Sorry for piggybacking on this thread.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I have all 3 on my rental fleet. All have pros/cons.

The 1 series is probably the most fun, but is relatively uncomfortable at times. Suspension is hard and so are the seats. Also the boot is strangley small. BMW have a slightly offset driving postion (pedal alignment to seat postion) and for that reason I can never get comfortable driving a manaul one, although the automatic versions are fine.

As previously mentioned, The A3 and Golf are very similar - even down to the switches and dashboard systems they share alot of the same features. The Audi does look great though, especially the S-line version with sport trim/wheels etc.

If you were to buy s diesel version, you do have to think about the Diesel Particular filter (DPF) as it can get blocked if the car doesn't have a decent blast on the motorway every week or so. But I would recomend the diesel engine over the petrol as all 3 cars are fairly heavy and feel under-powered with 1.6 petrol engines in them.

I would only consider a petrol as I might not take it out for a proper run out more than once a week or so.
I'll be going for a 1.4 or 1.6 petrol engine so it depends what deals I see between now and January.

Which petrol car in the 1 series would you recommend?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
When/if you've got the engine in economy mode and you're using the automatic gears, do you find the gearbox a bit slow to downshift when you need power?

No because the DSG gearbox is effectively two gearboxes is one unit.
One does 1st 3rd & 5th and the other 2nd 4th & 6th.

So when in 3rd 4th gear is already spinning waiting for the change so its seemless. None of the lag tradionally known with automatics.
Is so refined that in a drag race between the auto & manual variants the auto won due to the fact a human drive cannot physically change gear are quick as the auto and it already spinning up to speed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here