Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Car maintenance website?

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Are there any good car maintenance websites out there?

There are loads with the basic stuff, like checking the oil and changing a tire.

I want to knwo about changing a driveshaft!

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Are you kidding? Do what I do: buy a Haynes manual in Halfords, read it thinking "christ, that looks complicated" (but still examine all those little mechanical details in fascination), then take it to a garage and get them to do it. Sorted.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Gazwag said:
Have you tried google

I would even know where you would buy a replacement drivesharft in the first place

No I never thought of that!

:rolleyes:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Lammy said:

There are loads with the basic stuff, like checking the oil and changing a tire.

on what sort of car?

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Lammy said:
Audi A6 2001

Wouldn't attempt that myself - but why would you think it need replacing? Just the UJ's maybe or has something more sinister gone wrong...

Just googled it - seems quite a common problem!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Lammy said:

what is a tire?

Do you mean Tyre?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Re: Re: Car maintenance website?

Dave the Gaffer said:
what is a tire?

Do you mean Tyre?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

That's why I write software and not books...

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Re: Re: Re: Car maintenance website?

Lammy said:
That's why I write software and not books...

blimey.......

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
tedebear said:
Wouldn't attempt that myself - but why would you think it need replacing? Just the UJ's maybe or has something more sinister gone wrong...

Just googled it - seems quite a common problem!

I have a split CV gaiter. This has since been replaced and packed with freash lube. However, I'm still getting a grinding noise when cornering. This means the CV joint/driveshaft has worn and needs replacing.

I can get a new drive shaft for £120 but it will cost me another £120 to have it fitted. This is after shelling out £130 to have the gaitor fixed (among other bits and bobs).

It doesn't seem like a big deal to be honest. One end fits into the transmission and the other end bolts onto the wheel. But I'm aware that nothing is ever as simple as it first sounds and so I'm looking for a website that might detail the process.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Lammy said:
I have a split CV gaiter. This has since been replaced and packed with freash lube. However, I'm still getting a grinding noise when cornering. This means the CV joint/driveshaft has worn and needs replacing.

I can get a new drive shaft for £120 but it will cost me another £120 to have it fitted. This is after shelling out £130 to have the gaitor fixed (among other bits and bobs).

It doesn't seem like a big deal to be honest. One end fits into the transmission and the other end bolts onto the wheel. But I'm aware that nothing is ever as simple as it first sounds and so I'm looking for a website that might detail the process.

No - its not a big deal in itself - most things aren't! But the problem isn't doing the actual job but having the tools and space to do it... Can you get your car up in the air high enough to get under it safely (trolley jack mightn't be high enough, nor safe enough, since you'll be there a while? Have you got all the requisite spanners/sockets sizes and torque wrench? and that sort of stuff - if you get my drift...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here