Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Car Insurance

Mar 13, 2008
Passed my test today and cannot find a quote for less than £3500. Looking to insure a vauxhall corsa or a peugeot 106, which are supposed to be the cheapest cars to insure for young drivers.
Pretty miffed at this point. :tantrum:

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Well done for passing your test. One bit of advice can you insure one of your parents on the car with you? May make it cheaper,

Alan P

Bouncy
Oct 17, 2010
COOP insurance do a 'black box' for young drivers which tracks your driving and reduces the insurance if the driving is good. Still worked out expensive initially for my daughter but it may be cheaper for you.

Alan P

Bouncy
Oct 17, 2010
The only issue with the new driver being added to insurance as a named driver is that they will not accumalate no claims discount.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Saw an article on young persons car insurance on some program a few weeks ago now. One thing that I thought was a good idea was a few insurance companies are fitting black boxes to young drvers cars. They transmit data, on the driver, and insurance is adjusted accordingly. If you stay below 30mph, and acceleration is reasonable, you get a reasonable deal. Can't remember the companies but seemed a good option.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
My daughter passed her test last year and we found the cheapest way of insuring her was with Churchill. I put myself as the car owner and had my daughter as a named driver! Perhaps not the best way to do it, but was definitely the cheapest.

Almost certainly not the best way of doing it, as I'm fairly sure you'll find that the insurance is not valid.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
get a bettle (or possibly a MKI golf or even MKII, i believe they qualify), phone round the classic car insurers to find one that will cover as a classic with NCB accumulation. set limited mileage to 5k, which unless you travel long way to work/college (in which case just use what ever method you use now) is loads, should keep the premium down too. you get cheapo motoring, and a decent beetle locked after wont depreciate. and no tax if older than 1972 L reg.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Why would the insurance not be valid? Of course it is!!

She is also accumulating her no-claims discount.

From CarInsuranceExplained.co.uk....

This is a common trick used among new and inexperienced drivers to bring down their insurance quotes. A few years back this was very popular, however nowadays the insurance companies have cottoned on and sometimes it doesn't work out as planned.
In this case you insure your car in your parents name so that the insurance policy isn't in your name. You then get them you add you as a named driver. Although technically this is legal, if you are the main driver of the car you could be found out and have your insurance voided.
The reason insurance works out cheaper this way is the main risk is based on your parent who is a lower risk to insurance companies than you are. We do not recommend this technique as you could end up having you insurance cancelled, the other downfall is that you don't accumulate any no claims bonus as it is in your parents name.

Alan P

Bouncy
Oct 17, 2010
Below is an extract from question and answers re no claims. Named drivers MAY only qualify for an introductory discount if they can prove they have driven on anothers policy. As a rule the policy holder receives the no claims bonus.

I have been driving on my partner's insurance policy but now have my own car can I get a discount?
If you can prove a good driving record as a named driver under someone else's policy, you may be eligible for a discount.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
£3500 a year? Jeez i feal bad for you, I'm 32 and driving for 14 years and I don't really remember my first insurance deal but i'm certain it was nowhere near that amount! I'm having to chop in my 1.6 (after already doing the same to a 1.8) as it's now costing me nearly 4k a year just to get to and from work in fuel alone! Bollocks to everything car related, bollocks bollocks bollocks

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It's called "fronting", Glenn Murray, and could result in any claims your daughter makes being invalidated

If they find out she is the main user of the car- and they have ways and means of verifying that, should she make a claim- they will refuse to pay out. You can legitimately be a named driver on her policy but not the other way round.

:shrug: Don't shoot the messenger (s)

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I sympathise with 'good' young drivers wishing to accumulate their own no claims discount.

Why not simply go fire and theft only for a few years, surely that quote was for comprehensive, thus reducing the premium very substantially but also encouraging even more careful driving !

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
get a bettle (or possibly a MKI golf or even MKII, i believe they qualify), phone round the classic car insurers to find one that will cover as a classic with NCB accumulation. set limited mileage to 5k, which unless you travel long way to work/college (in which case just use what ever method you use now) is loads, should keep the premium down too. you get cheapo motoring, and a decent beetle locked after wont depreciate. and no tax if older than 1972 L reg.

All very good, but let's face it, the chances are a new young driver will prang their first car, and a nice classic will become a crushed cube of scrap metal ???

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
At that price its not surprising that some young drivers are tempted to go without insurance but its not worth the risk. It is so easy to be caught out by the pollce using the insurance database.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
All very good, but let's face it, the chances are a new young driver will prang their first car, and a nice classic will become a crushed cube of scrap metal ???

actually the chances are a new driver wont prang their car (majority dont), and in the event you have a fender bender in a beetle it'll cost about £15 for a replacement wing. (i assume FPFT is still the norm for young drivers). im talking about scruffy 2k not concourse. Golfs for under well 1k.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here