Car Insurance

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

adammicheal

Jan 3, 2006
I have to put my car in the garage to get some work carried out on it

Im insured fully comp which allows me to drive somebody else car with their permisssion

My cousin has a car that is taxed and registered to her but isnt insured ( it is also mot'd)

Can i drive it on my insurance i know i will only be covered 3rd part

I have asked some people they think no
I haveasked others they think yes

So come on NSC, can I or not

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
If you don't plan on leaving it anywhere, yes, otherwise the vehicle itself has to be insured.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I'm pretty sure that the car in question has to be insured for your insurance to count 3rd party.

Suggest you ring your insurers?

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Superphil said:
I'm pretty sure that the car in question has to be insured for your insurance to count 3rd party.

thats correct

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
S143 Road Traffic Act
(1) Subject the provisions of this part of the Act

(a) A person must not use a motor vehicle on a road or public place unless there is in force in relation to the use of the vehicle by that person such a policy of insurance or such a security in respect of third party risks as complies with the requirements of this part of the Act.

(b) refers to causing or permitting the use of the vehicle.

So as far as I can tell, you'd be insured to use the vehicle, ie drive it.

However, your cousin is committing an offence the second he takes it off his driveway ie private land, and on to the road or any other public place. He would be guilty of using the vehicle while uninsured, even if he just left it parked on the public footpath outside his house.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I used to work in a motor Claims and Underwriting area.

Your own existing motor policy will cover you for Third Party whilst driving other vehicles. Simple as that.

If you have an accident and it's your fault(ie you hit someone from behind) you will have to pay for the repairs to the car you're driving out of your own pocket. however, your motor insurers should cover the cost of the other drivers uninsured losses such as excesses, hire cars etc if they are insured fully comp.

Does that make any more sense?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
So it appears that all of the time he is driving the vehicle he is insured but as soon as he parks it on a public road he is not. So if he drove it to work and parked it on land owned by his employers he would be ok and insured.

I know it was some years ago now but I was told at a meeting, that had an insurance expert giving a talk that the insurance taken out by somebody who owns a motor bike insurers the rider but that taken out by a car driver insures the vehicle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports