Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Car insurance recommendations...

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Whatever you do, don't go third party with Elephant.co.uk as they are worse than useless.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Whatever you do, don't go third party with Elephant.co.uk as they are worse than useless.

I went to a broker who asked me if I would like to insure with Elephant...I said, not on your nelly!

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Tried all the online ones, phoned up loads too, all coming in about the same price (£800) :rolleyes: but it was Aviva who smashed my van renewal quote (was direct line) - nearly halfed it in fact.

Go online for extra discount too - i needed to phone them and they still applied discount :)

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I always used confused.com as their adverts aren't annoying. If you use gocompare,comparethemarket, etc then you're frankly a bastard for encouriging them.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
The chances are Direct Line will be the cheapest if you're not already covered by them and have a clean bill of health. I used DL for many years until our house was burgled and they swines made off with the gear in my car too.

I have to say DL's service was excellent and they paid up in no time at all. However, they have really tried to cane me with the premiums since. It seems a bit shortsighted to me, as they're not gaining a £100 here or there by raising the premium but losing £500 by getting nothing at all when I walk.

Admiral have since come in best offering the same standard of cover. Definitely helps if you can offer them more than one car too.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Cheapest quote I got (25% less than anybody else) was confused.com and yes I did try most of them.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Esure have been good for me, but I swopped to Aviva this year. Also got back £70 cashback from using topcashback – took six months to pay out, but it all helps.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Tried all the online ones, phoned up loads too, all coming in about the same price (£800) :rolleyes: but it was Aviva who smashed my van renewal quote (was direct line) - nearly halfed it in fact.

Go online for extra discount too - i needed to phone them and they still applied discount :)

Halfed ?? Is that approximately halved ?

Kenneth Wattle

Aug 31, 2007
I always used confused.com as their adverts aren't annoying. If you use gocompare,comparethemarket, etc then you're frankly a bastard for encouriging them.

True, but the best trick is to use those annoying-advert sites to find out who the cheapest is, then go to that company direct. Then the annoying little bastards don't get their commission fee to spend on adverts (and I have found it is in fact cheaper still going direct!)

Aviva don't do price comparison websites and saved me about £200 this year. Bell were also quite good, ring them and tell them you have been quoted less somewhere else and they will usually (as if by magic) match it if it is sensible...

bathseagull

Apr 18, 2004
St. Anmore
Well, after two and a bit days of solid searching on t'internet, 2 main comparison sites, half a dozen or so enquiries direct to the main players and two seperate brokers valiant efforts...

My renewal quote is the best offer out there.

Apparently all car insurance has gone up recently due to a major increase in claims over the past 12 months and all the companies are bumping their premiums up. The brokers said I've got off lightly with only an £85 rise...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here