Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Car insurance For young drivers

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
I don't want to encourage speeding but they don't know where you are so nothing less than 70mph should be an issue with a black box. It's more to do with harsh acceleration and cornering I believe.

I'm sure the black boxes are all different but my son's one definitely did know the speed of the actual road (like a sat nav would). One plus of this is that, in the event of your car being stolen, the insurance company can use the black box as a tracker. Also some companies will ring the emergency services if they detect you've been in an accident (read about this on some websites but it's not every company).

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My 17yo has just started learning. I didn't go for the cheapest learner policy, but the one that would be cheapest once he's passed. Admiral offered the best deal, about £700 on a provisional, rising to £1700 on a full, both with a black box. His car is a 1.25 fiesta, 2007 reg (had to get him his own as me and the mrs both drive autos)

All the blurb from Admiral, and more importantly (for me) what the bloke fitting it said, points to avoiding speeding (it works like a satnav, so can track you through speed limits) and particularly driving late at night repeatedly

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Wouldn't third party only be cheaper if they are just driving an old banger (can you still do that?). I'm more surprised a Peugeot lasted 16 months before falling apart let alone 16 years.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Pass Plus doesn't bring down premiums by much

As a driving instructor, I have to agree with this. The scheme had never really worked as insurance is too competitive and they undercut each other to buy in the business. You might get one company reducing their quote because you have the pass plus and still get a cheaper quote from another that ignores it. Government keep threatening to revamp it but haven't done so yet successful.

Surely this is ok until you need to make a claim and then the insurers have a get out clause due to false information provided?

All well and good if you haven't injured someone in a crash. Believe that the insurers are duty bound to deal with the claim even if you have provided false info but can then recover costs from you!!!

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Surely this is ok until you need to make a claim and then the insurers have a get out clause due to false information provided?

And when we void your policy due to application fraud, you'll find it very tricky to get another policy that costs less than a Zamora's weekly wage.
Oh, and you'd have to make it crystal clear that you've had a policy voided for fraud each time you take up any other insurance policy in the future.
Fail to do that and you're on the very naughty list.

:wave:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Wouldn't third party only be cheaper if they are just driving an old banger (can you still do that?). I'm more surprised a Peugeot lasted 16 months before falling apart let alone 16 years.

Makes almost no difference to cost, as the compulsory excess on young driver policies tends to be high anyway. A broker pal told me that it's actually cheaper to insure a newer (more expensive) car......

johnjim

Sep 2, 2008
bexhill
Cheapest car insurance for my 17 now 18 year old son was through " drive like a girl " he is a bit miffed by company name but at 750 and no black box it seemed a goodish deal. We put two other named adults on policy as additional drivers , which reduced it a bit, but too many extra drivers can put price up. Policy is in his name and he is building up N.C.D.
Choice of car is v important he has a V W fox group one. There is a web site that will give you a list of every cars insurance group.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Makes almost no difference to cost, as the compulsory excess on young driver policies tends to be high anyway. A broker pal told me that it's actually cheaper to insure a newer (more expensive) car......

Think you will find that the insurance costs associated with young drivers are those relating to third party damage and in particular injury. Hence the reason that the car the youth drives doesn't make too much difference to the premium unless of course it is a powerful car where it could cause more damage/injury!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here