Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Car Insurance cost

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I think stupid panoramic sunroofs must be playing a role in this (combined with the terrible condition of the roads). Mine just got cracked (it's covered via the windscreen insurance), but I'm told it'll cost them so much to replace that it's effectively a write off - and my car must still be worth around £2.5k! Still waiting for the final word on it, as Autoglass called me to say I wasn't insured, and Admiral then assured me that I was.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
My renewal went from £370 to £650 with the unbelievably crap Aviva Zero. I thought 'Zero' just meant they would plant a tree or something, turns out it means you get zero customer service. Literally. Tried getting it cheaper elsewhere 3/4 weeks before renewal but comparison sites were coming out with £800+.

Three or four days before renewal I managed to get cover with LV for £550- slightly better but still irritating. Is there any rational reason for it? Or just 'cos we can'?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I think stupid panoramic sunroofs must be playing a role in this (combined with the terrible condition of the roads). Mine just got cracked (it's covered via the windscreen insurance), but I'm told it'll cost them so much to replace that it's effectively a write off - and my car must still be worth around £2.5k! Still waiting for the final word on it, as Autoglass called me to say I wasn't insured, and Admiral then assured me that I was.
its a theme for some time, ridiculous prices for basic part like headlamps. if i were inclined to conspiracy, they make it expensive to end of life cars earlier.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The statistics show huge increases in repair costs over the last couple of years and I am aware that car parts from abroad are now far more expensive and taking longer to ship, leading to longer repair times and increased car hire costs, whilst the UK inflation rates effect everything.

But the one thing I am assured regularly isn't responsible for any of this

:wink:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
its a theme for some time, ridiculous prices for basic part like headlamps. if i were inclined to conspiracy, they make it expensive to end of life cars earlier.
Yes, very likely. I've been waiting two weeks for Admiral to get back to me. Think they may be trying to avoid paying out!

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Bloody hell, more than £2.5k to replace a sunroof! What car is it? I've an e220 with one of them, never really gave it much thought

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Bloody hell, more than £2.5k to replace a sunroof! What car is it? I've an e220 with one of them, never really gave it much thought
Just a Toyota Verso, but it covers most of the roof (not my photo):
lterm-verso-8.jpg

They're about £400 second hand on Ebay.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
Admiral put ours up by a bit. We called and asked them not to. They said OK.
Me too with Admiral. And I had to change from paying for full year to monthly this time as my boiler broke at the same time, so thought it would go up with interest on monthly payments. Total cost ended up around £100 cheaper for the year

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
If you can, bin the courtesy car option.
Was an absolute waste of time for me when I needed it last year. Had the catalytic converter nicked from my car whilst parked on my drive. Was quoted £1150 at "mates" rates to fix so it went through insurance and therefore I had to use who they told me to which was some big multi national company who had a branch in East Grinstead. The issue was they couldn't fit me in for 6 weeks. I thought no probs I pay for a courtesy car. That courtesy car was provided by the garage and not the insurance company and as my car wasn't booked in for 6 weeks they had no obligation to provide me with a car. Which meant 6 weeks over the Christmas period (which included a week off work) with no motor. As it was Christmas the price of hiring a car was eye watering (£2-3k for a little hatchback).

In the end I had the courtesy car for the day it took them to fix my car.

My premium is due at the end of December I'm dreading what it's going to be this year given I've now made a claim despite it being through no fault of my own and I have protected NCD. This thread and the horror stories on it hasn't helped either.

Sea Cider

Dec 27, 2012
Mine just went from £570 to £960, that was after 4 hours banging away at price comparison sites :cry:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
My car insurance went up from £160 to £220 for no obvious reason. I thought that was quite expensive, but maybe not 😇

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here