Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Car Help Please! Ford Fiesta, petrol cap / flap jammed? Thanks

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Thats EXACTLY how she likes it.

I found it's easier to use the special tool though TBH. Especially if there's a risk of being shouted at on the forecourt.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
lilac_30.jpg

8U5Z17B068D_1.jpg

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Never has a mobile phone caused a fire in a petrol station
Yes they have,due to electromagnetic radiation
And they can cause explosions due to them not being intrinsically safe.
The biggest cause of gasoline ignition is usually static from peoples clothes.
It's common in the States where people have bigger tanks so set the pump running and walk away,then return and touch the handle of the dispense pump or the vehicle and create a spark ignitiing the vapour.
It's not so common here because we tend to not let go of the dispenser handle but there is a small risk that someone on a phone may keep switching hands whilst using the phone increasing the risk of a static spark from their clothes.
They are also using a non intrinsic battery operated device in a non spark zone.
They are also not fully focussed on what is a potentially lot more hazardous task than people realise.
You also don't want to transfer any petrol or diesel from the pump handle to your device as it's a major cause of psoriasis and potentially cancer.
There is good reasons why we told not to use the mobile phones at the petrol station.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It's common in the States where people have bigger tanks so set the pump running and walk away,then return and touch the handle of the dispense pump or the vehicle and create a spark ignitiing the vapour.
It's not so common here because we tend to not let go of the dispenser handle but there is a small risk that someone on a phone may keep switching hands whilst using the phone increasing the risk of a static spark from their clothes.
They are also using a non intrinsic battery operated device in a non spark zone.
They are also not fully focussed on what is a potentially lot more hazardous task than people realise.
You also don't want to transfer any petrol or diesel from the pump handle to your device as it's a major cause of psoriasis and potentially cancer.
There is good reasons why we told not to use the mobile phones at the petrol station.

Yes you're right it is static and static only. When refuelling aircraft you have to earth the aircraft and bowser this doesn't stop the static inside the tanks. Boeing used to show a film inside a fuel tank as it was being filled, it was like a firework display.

However you are more likely to to cause a fire wearing nylon

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
Back on topic, surely you only need to Porsche it in a bit harder if it's a tight Fiat....

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016

Can you advise how much 'electomagnetic radiation' is required to ignite petroluem vapour? And how much is emitted from a typical mobile phone, please?

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Can you advise how much 'electomagnetic radiation' is required to ignite petroluem vapour? And how much is emitted from a typical mobile phone, please?

No I'm sorry I don't know the answer to that.
I think it's minimal and unlikely to cause ignition.
But if the LEL of the Gasoline vapour is reached then it could be a possibility albeit a small one.
The electromagnetic signal from a mobile being a potential source of ignition has been questioned but it detracts from the other big problem with mobiles in an explosive environment which is they batteries and electrical components and are not intrinsically safe and carry an EX rating.
Therefore DSEAR regulations say they should not be in a zone where there is gasoline vapour present because the phone is a potential source of ignition.
Petrol forecourts will need to be DSEAR compliant and as far as I'm aware DSEAR still says"no mobile phones"so forecourts have to enforce that and the public should be adhering when on the forecourts.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Yes you're right it is static and static only. When refuelling aircraft you have to earth the aircraft and bowser this doesn't stop the static inside the tanks. Boeing used to show a film inside a fuel tank as it was being filled, it was like a firework display.

However you are more likely to to cause a fire wearing nylon

Yes, static is most likely to cause ignition of vapour and can come from many sources.
As you say static from wrong clothing, running water,someone with a sack barrow walking past or also as you say the actual tank being filled.
But mobiles still present a risk albeit a smaller one than static.
I certainly wouldn't use a mobile around forecourt petrol or AVGAS.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
No I'm sorry I don't know the answer to that.
I think it's minimal and unlikely to cause ignition.
But if the LEL of the Gasoline vapour is reached then it could be a possibility albeit a small one.
The electromagnetic signal from a mobile being a potential source of ignition has been questioned but it detracts from the other big problem with mobiles in an explosive environment which is they batteries and electrical components and are not intrinsically safe and carry an EX rating.
Therefore DSEAR regulations say they should not be in a zone where there is gasoline vapour present because the phone is a potential source of ignition.
Petrol forecourts will need to be DSEAR compliant and as far as I'm aware DSEAR still says"no mobile phones"so forecourts have to enforce that and the public should be adhering when on the forecourts.

Yes, static is most likely to cause ignition of vapour and can come from many sources.
As you say static from wrong clothing, running water,someone with a sack barrow walking past or also as you say the actual tank being filled.
But mobiles still present a risk albeit a smaller one than static.
I certainly wouldn't use a mobile around forecourt petrol or AVGAS.

Please, just stop.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here