Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Car accident advice

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
This looks like the most likely explanation, and is far too common. Hopefully people reading this will leave that extra bit of space on the road to avoid exactly this situation.

I rather doubt they will, but it's a nice sentiment :)

Dan The Man

Sep 27, 2011
Mile Oak
I've just a re read of the thread in case I missed something and seen this.

It's comments like this that make this board so frustrating at times.

If we had been talking face to face as a group I'm betting Dan "the man" wouldn't have said that oh so very sarcastic reply. And if we had indeed been face to face is the kind of shitty comment that would get Dan "the Man's" teeth punched straight down his throat.

The anonymity of a keyboard.... CJTC.

Oops...apologies, didn't meant to offend...

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Or, quite possibly, his wife simply wasn't paying attention, and was driving too close to the vehicle in front, thus being unable to stop when the situation demanded it.

This is indeed exactly what happened. Your bog standard roundabout scenario.Car in front went, the missus started going as well, gave another look over her shoulder, car in front stopped and she drove into the back of it whilst still looking over her shoulder. Luckily, as she didn't see it she wasn't on the brakes so the headlights/bonnet/grill/slam panel have all survived intact. Her number plate and a bit of grill is broken on ours, but it seems new Micras have rear bumpers made of cheese, it has an almighty dent in it and pushed it up into the bootlid.

We're not claiming for the missus, a new number plate holder and a t-cut and it will look pretty respectable, if not there is certainly no shortage of silver mk4 Vauxhall Astras on the road so a replacement will be cheap as chips and easy to source and fit.

The gentleman in front was of a more mature nature and seemed well enough to stand around and chat afterwards and seemed pretty friendly and honest according to the missus so it's just a case of him claiming off us.

I just had the hump yesterday and was running every possible option through my mind to try and save her NCD and try to minimise the financial hit for us. although we're not totally skint things have been a bit tight since baby came along.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
I rather doubt they will, but it's a nice sentiment :)
While coming home this evening around 17.25 I was turning left into Coombe road from Lewes road when all traffic ahead of me stopped as a police car siren and lights flashing came down the centre of Coombe road I stopped but the guy behind didn't it was only a small bump but when the traffic ahead cleared I pulled over a few yards up Coombe road but to my amazement the **** behind skirted round me gave me a dirty look and shot off up Coombe road, I didn't get chance to get his number as as soon as he was past so my vision was blocked by other vehicles passing me which blocked me in so I did not have the opportunity to follow him I think he was driving a silver vw golf but not 100% sure. As I said it was only a small bump and the only damage to the vehicle I was driving (transit tipper truck) was the electric connection for towing which is split and bent beyond repair so replacement will only be £10-20 but bloody annoying any advice Edna?

Last edited:

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
While coming home this evening around 17.25 I was turning left into Coombe road from Lewes road when all traffic ahead of me stopped as a police car siren and lights flashing came down the centre of Coombe road I stopped but the guy behind didn't it was only a small bump but when the traffic ahead cleared I pulled over a few yards up Coombe road but to my amazement the **** behind skirted round me gave me a dirty look and shot off up Coombe road, I didn't get chance to get his number as as soon as he was past so my vision was blocked by other vehicles passing me which blocked me in so I did not have the opportunity to follow him I think he was driving a silver vw golf but not 100% sure. As I said it was only a small bump and the only damage to the vehicle I was driving (transit tipper truck) was the electric connection for towing which is split and bent beyond repair so replacement will only be £10-20 but bloody annoying any advise Edna?

Unfortunately nothing you can really do.
The law states that you must stop if you are involved in an RTA.
He obviously hasn't done this, so without any Reg, you have no information to forward your Insurers or the Police.
You could ask around for CCTV but unfortunately, I doubt you'll have any luck.

I know this is in hindsight, but dashcams are a good investment for times like these.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Unfortunately nothing you can really do.
The law states that you must stop if you are involved in an RTA.
He obviously hasn't done this, so without any Reg, you have no information to forward your Insurers or the Police.
You could ask around for CCTV but unfortunately, I doubt you'll have any luck.

I know this is in hindsight, but dashcams are a good investment for times like these.

Yes I thought that, thing is I will recognise him if I see him again and I don't live too far from that junction so I will look out for him, I hope he suffered a little more damage then the plastic socket on my works truck as the tow ball is only inches from the socket. Thanks for responding.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
You should report it anyway as, whilst the police vehicle isn't directly involved, the prang has occurred as a result of you taking steps to move out of the way (thank you!).

As you say, there probably isn't going to be a lot they can do without a means to identify the 3rd party vehicle, but no harm in getting it logged and recorded anyway. He's broken the law by not stopping, the obnoxious tosser.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here