Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] cannabis stink

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
what would you do
Next door neighbour is absolutely stinking out my loft and one of my bedrooms with the smell of cannabis that isn't coming through the windows but must be coming through the cavities of the walls and stinking out my clothes etc.
I live in semi detatched private house attached to council house
Which would you do to get it sorted 1/ tell the police
2 / tell the council

3/ go round and have it out with them myself

This. But politely.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
what would you do
Next door neighbour is absolutely stinking out my loft and one of my bedrooms with the smell of cannabis that isn't coming through the windows but must be coming through the cavities of the walls and stinking out my clothes etc.
2 / tell the council

There isn't much benefit to falling out with your next door neighbours. I'd also wouldn't use the tactic of threatening them with the law, because they don't care now.

I'd start with an dis-honest empathy approach.

Explain you have no problem with cannabis legally, think it's terrible it isn't available on the NHS (less harmful than alcohol etc..) , but personally you are one of the few who react badly to it. Don't touch the legal / moral issue, they won't listen.

Make up some rubbish about having friends who smoked it in the past, but you had to stop going out with them because cannabis made you very very nauseous. "I'm just one of those people etc..." and you recognised the smell immediately. The trick being that you have as good an understanding as cannabis as they do.

Don't use the word "allergic" because your neighbours will think you are lying.

Lay it on thick. As much as the cannabis is making your neighbour happy, it's making you very miserable in own home.

When you smoke loads (like I did in my early 20s), you tend to surround yourself with people who do the same. You quickly loose track of what it's like not to smoke it and empathy with others who don't. I'd imagine your neighbours are in a world of their own and it wouldn't be a bad thing for them to be reminded they aren't.

For the record, I think it should be legalised on balance, but like anything you don't inflict it on others. Lastly let's face it smells.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Dig your Floyd long players out and invite yourself round for a sesh.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
You don't even need to lay it on thick, just say "the smell of weed is coming through the walls, I don't smoke so could we try and stop it".

If they're reasonable they'll help, if they're an ******** then complain to the council. OB won't do anything and you'll have to declare it if you want to sell.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Pop round and explain the situation. From personal, but different, experience with neighbours this has worked....primarily because they didn’t fully appreciate the annoyance they were causing. I’m sure you can sort this out sensibly and/or come to some agreement.

Denis

Mar 25, 2013
Portslade
If it's really important to you that it's a semi-detached private house that is connected to a semi-detached council house, maybe you shouldn't have bought a discounted house on a council estate

That’s a bit mean to assume that. Where I live they were all privately owned semis, then during the last property slump, my previous neighbour sold out to ‘social housing’, for a quick sale. Now I’m lumbered with a family next door with an untidy front garden, (even had a car parked on the front lawn for a few months), loads of cars, belonging to them, parked all around the cul-de-sac. Kids all have different fathers and god knows how many people live there. Rant over!

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Just go on-line to the Council Environmental Health department and report a foul odour emanating from that address.No need to specify what the odour is,they have to investigate.They should reply within 5 days,and get it sorted out.If another neighbour reports it independently it would help.Good luck.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
War

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Of course the alternative solution is to knock on the neighbours door and ask for a % of the profits :)

Known as a joint venture, I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
what would you do
2 / tell the council

He’s clearly a criminal so call the Police. End of the matter.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Just go on-line to the Council Environmental Health department and report a foul odour emanating from that address.No need to specify what the odour is,they have to investigate.They should reply within 5 days,and get it sorted out.If another neighbour reports it independently it would help.Good luck.

He’s clearly a criminal so call the Police. End of the matter.

Any good solicitor will tell you that starting a war with a neighbour is the last resort. It might make you feel better for a short period of time, but you can end up with months and months of grief.

I'm coming from the perspective of the original poster, not their stoner selfish neighbour.

An intelligent conversation is more likely to stop it quickly than the authorities. If they are just smoking too much they will wake up fast. If they are growing on mass, someone complaining is going to frighten the shit out of them.

Alternatively, do as you both suggest. Let everyone including the local newspaper know that you bought a house next to a cannabis farm. Brilliant.

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Any good solicitor will tell you that starting a war with a neighbour is the last resort. It might make you feel better for a short period of time, but you can end up with months and months of grief.

I'm coming from the perspective of the original poster, not their stoner selfish neighbour.

An intelligent conversation is more likely to stop it quickly than the authorities. If they are just smoking too much they will wake up fast. If they are growing on mass, someone complaining is going to frighten the shit out of them.

Alternatively, do as you both suggest. Let everyone including the local newspaper know that you bought a house next to a cannabis farm. Brilliant.

Authorites are going to escalate any dispute, and ask awkward questions, like how you know it smells of cannabis and not curry? Neighbour disputes can be hell. Even without the guards ganging up against people they don't like.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here