[Albion] Cancelled Season Tickets

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
If you change the pricing as discussed, then I don't think anyone would do it - there would be little benefit. At the moment somebody (the mate) can have the benefit of reduced ST prices but only go when he wants, so long as the ST holder has the extra child ST ( bare in mind that in some parts of the ground this U10 ST is less than £100). At the suggested 'full' upgrade cost there is no incentive at all to play the system like this.

If someone was willing to pay the £100 to reserve a particular seat, rather than looking at it as a way of purchasing a cheaper seat, they might do it.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I think the club are spot on with this, if you buy your kid a ticket then you buy it in the expectation and knowledge that a certain amount of games are night matches and unfortunately a few will be moved from 3pm Saturday to other times on other days.

The six upgrades to cover this is more than fair, if you require more than six for your child's season ticket you should think about whether you buy them a season or not.

Also HKFC was spot on in saying charge the full price for the upgrade.

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
I agree it's a "superb" solution, but...totally unworkable irl. How would the club know if a child actually attended? Presumably you'd have to have the stewards actually check each time a child ticket pinged to see if it were actually a child.

They already do this, assumedly in an attempt to catch adults who go through on a child's ticket. At least they do in the ESL.

There'd then need to be a feedback loop into the club's computer system where the steward went "yep, it's a kid" necessitating each steward to have a wireless smart device linked to the system.

Does the barrier not already talk to the computer system? I can't believe that a system put in place only a few years ago wouldn't be doing so. Aren't the "thank you for attending" emails that show up after matches triggered off this, for example?

In fact, it's even harder than than that - the steward would need to assess whether the child was under or over the age of 10 (that's a break point in ticket pricing, right?).

Yeah I have no idea how they handle the break at 10.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I tell you what I'm worried about after this thread.

Just how long will the email be that I get?

Why do you think I'm posting?

Payback for the comment on the Restaurant 2016 thread about the Chilli Pickle. You thought I'd missed it? Mwah ha ha!

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Yep. And that is clearly completely wrong, and no one will disagree. But it's a different matter completely to the upgrade debate.

Yes, you are quite right in that adults going through on a child's ticket is a separate issue, and I had not meant to lump it together with the matter in hand. But combined with the issue of upgrading being clearly abused by a "significant minority", which I think is how the club described the numbers, it may well have pushed the powers that be to take action.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
If any other fans feel this way (about any issue) then I actually recommend that they email Paul Barber. Not only is he a massively fair man, but he understands more than most the 'real fan/corporate monster' arguments and above all, he is somebody who can make things happen. If he feels there has been an injustice he like look to redress the issue.

I do concur with this 100% - I had an issue with season tickets which I brought to his attention recently and received a sympathetic reply within 25 minutes and am waiting for things to progress further,

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
i didn't comment on it when first posted, but will do so now.

I agree it's a "superb" solution, but...totally unworkable irl. How would the club know if a child actually attended? Presumably you'd have to have the stewards actually check each time a child ticket pinged to see if it were actually a child. There'd then need to be a feedback loop into the club's computer system where the steward went "yep, it's a kid" necessitating each steward to have a wireless smart device linked to the system. In fact, it's even harder than than that - the steward would need to assess whether the child was under or over the age of 10 (that's a break point in ticket pricing, right?).

Can you imagine the queue lengths as all that was going on. Imagine too the reaction to the club saying "if your child is aged between 8 and 12, bring his/her passport so we can check their age. Oh, do the same if they're aged 15-20, and 18-23. Oh, and between 60 and 70, while we're at it"? The more concessionary pricing bands there are, the more generic a solution you are forced to implement in order to keep the crowds moving.

Or.... have I got this wrong?

Well, I think you're just taking it from the point of view of 'everyone's a fraudster unless proved otherwise'. I would merely suggest that if a ticket registers as a child, the club assumes it was actually used by a child. Random spot-checks would do the rest.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
I must be slow I never knew the upgrade was cheaper than a full paying adult ticket.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
i didn't comment on it when first posted, but will do so now.

I agree it's a "superb" solution, but...totally unworkable irl. How would the club know if a child actually attended? Presumably you'd have to have the stewards actually check each time a child ticket pinged to see if it were actually a child. There'd then need to be a feedback loop into the club's computer system where the steward went "yep, it's a kid" necessitating each steward to have a wireless smart device linked to the system. In fact, it's even harder than than that - the steward would need to assess whether the child was under or over the age of 10 (that's a break point in ticket pricing, right?).

Can you imagine the queue lengths as all that was going on. Imagine too the reaction to the club saying "if your child is aged between 8 and 12, bring his/her passport so we can check their age. Oh, do the same if they're aged 15-20, and 18-23. Oh, and between 60 and 70, while we're at it"? The more concessionary pricing bands there are, the more generic a solution you are forced to implement in order to keep the crowds moving.

Or.... have I got this wrong?

I have a senior ticket and noticed, up to this season, that two lights came on as I scanned my ticket. I presumed that it highlighted the concession ticket. I know stewards have glanced at me to presumably check that I am senior? I have been disappointed that no-one has actually told me I look too young!!

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I think a different colour light shows with a childs ST as opposed to an adult ST.
I have seen a few adults caught out at the ESU turnstile trying to enter on a junior ticket, and the watching steward has refused them entry and sent them to the ticket office.
My solution is instead of only allowing 6 upgrades per season, is to only allow them for evening kick-offs, that stops the excuse that its too late before a school day.
Daytime kick offs will not allow upgrades unless at full match ticket price difference.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Yep. And that is clearly completely wrong, and no one will disagree. But it's a different matter completely to the upgrade debate.

I guess adult fans entering the stadium using a child's, or concessionary pass, is a nigh on impossible task for the stewards to police on the day, especially with all passes looking identical.

Maybe in order to make the job easier, adult passes could be one colour, and child/concessionary passes be another. It would stand out then like a sore thumb, if an adult was trying to enter using a cheaper ticket.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I guess adult fans entering the stadium using a child's, or concessionary pass, is a nigh on impossible task for the stewards to police on the day, especially with all passes looking identical.

Not at all - the entry gates have coloured lights on them and they light according to the status of the ticket presented. Stewards beyond the barriers are able to determine whether the card matches the punter. I've seen adults sent back to the ticket office for entering with a child ticket.

Maybe in order to make the job easier, adult passes could be one colour, and child/concessionary passes be another. It would stand out then like a sore thumb, if an adult was trying to enter using a cheaper ticket.

Not required due to the above.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
The fact that this is about the fifth thread from people whinging makes me think the club are right to put a stop to this, I wonder how many others not on NSC were taking part in this little scam to pay less over a season?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Not at all - the entry gates have coloured lights on them and they light according to the status of the ticket presented. Stewards beyond the barriers are able to determine whether the card matches the punter. I've seen adults sent back to the ticket office for entering with a child ticket.

Modern technology huh!

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
I have supported the Albion for 40 years and I have held at least two season tickets since 1984, with the only break being the Archer years at Gillingham. I have held a season ticket for myself and my twins boys since moving to the Amex; my boys are now aged 7. I had hoped, over the years for my children to attend more and more matches but alas they are not keen. I upgrade my sons tickets when they do not attend and bring guest, some of whom have since become Albion fans. However, this season the club have limited me to 7 upgrades per season and this is a problem as I cannot now use my sons tickets when they do not attend. I approached the club to reconsider this position. I tried to explain to my predicament and they refused to help.In the end I was left with no choice other than to cancel all the tickets and now have the club threatening to take me to court. A sorry tale and I now no longer attend matches and in light of my treatment as a point of principle I will never go again. This is another example of the club being a cumbersome corporate entity with no regard for their real fans and I know other feel like this, if you feel this way too I strongly recommend you let the club know.It is a shame as if we go up and the club find themselves at the wrong end of the table with dwindling crowds, I would have be one of he ones to stick with them; I wonder how many of the new Amex fans would do this?

Don`t worry we will not be going up any time soon we will be relegation fodder again next season, the board still think the shiny new stadium and having lots of season ticket holders will get us promoted.

Last edited:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The fact that this is about the fifth thread from people whinging makes me think the club are right to put a stop to this, I wonder how many others not on NSC were taking part in this little scam to pay less over a season?

The fact that this is about the fifth thread of this nature makes me think the club definitely should have communicated the change before renewals.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
In my opinion you are taking the piss. Taking two Under ten tickets and expecting to upgrade when you want. These seats could be sold to adults paying full fare. Seven upgrades is nearly one third of the games. Generous I`d say.

Does the barrier not already talk to the computer system? I can't believe that a system put in place only a few years ago wouldn't be doing so. Aren't the "thank you for attending" emails that show up after matches triggered off this, for example?

I think those emails are sent out whether you use the seat or not. I get them and because I live a broad don´t go to many games. A friend uses the ticket sometimes but a lot of the games the seat will be empty but I still get thank you for coming

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011

It`s not policed me and my 18 year old daughter have used each others tickets by mistake a few times, the stewards never look at the lights

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports