Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Canada

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Oh, and Granville market on a sunday morning.

footychick

Nicola
Dec 8, 2005
Soham, United Kingdom
I lived there 82-16. Book a flight. Stay in a hotel 'downtown'. Take a walk in Stanley Park around the sea wall. Hire a bike, even. If its winter and you ski, there are 3 local mountains ( us ride). Hire a car and book some skiing at Whistler/Black combe. If its summer, hire a car and visit Horseshoe bay. Drive to Tsawassen (spelling) and get a ferry to Vancouver island,. Visit lakes. Swim in them. If you are a naturist, visit wreck beach. If not, try sunset beach. It is Heavenly in BC

www.katcam.ca

You're so lucky, it's a beautiful place.
I was there in 86 but I stayed with family in Port Coquitlam.
What is public transport like there?

footychick

Nicola
Dec 8, 2005
Soham, United Kingdom
Whatever you do, hire a car as nothing is within walking distance! I went around 10 yrs ago in March I think it was and it's sucha gorgeous city. There's the zoo in Stanley Park which is worth a visit, and even a walk around the park around the sea shore if the weather's nice.

Also worth driving to north Vancouver to walk across Capilano bridge (if you don't mind heights!) Also take the cable car up to Grouse Mountain, and drive up the other mountain (Cypress mountain) in North Vancouver.

If you've got a spare day then it's worth driving the "sea to sky" highway from Vancouver to Whistler, a beautiful ski resort but plenty to do up there even in summer. Takes around 2 hours to get there and it's all on one road so you can't get lost!

Also if you have time take the ferry to Vancouver Island and see the world famous Buschart gardens.
I remember that bridge in 86, I also went up Grouse mountain and I remember going temporarily deaf when I got to the bottom [emoji53]

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You're so lucky, it's a beautiful place.
I was there in 86 but I stayed with family in Port Coquitlam.
What is public transport like there?

Public transport is nowhere near as bad as the locals think. The transit is better than buses in much of the UK. Vancouver, I mean. Po Co is a little bit quieter ;-)

Dec 15, 2014
Here
It depends when you are going but I have been to BC loads of times and spent a month there this summer.

Vancouver itself has loads to do and see including Stanley Park - suggest you hire a bike from near the Waterfront and take a leisurely 2 hour ride. The Float plane ride around the harbour was just incredible and not too expensive with todays exchange rate.

As others have said the drive up to Whistler is beautiful including going through a place called Squamish where you can 'Hike the Chief' which is a great if you fancy a bit of an exhilarating walk with fantastic views at the top - if you are peckish afterwards there is a fantastic fish & chip restaurant called the Wigan Pier which is run by an English bloke with superb grub and just as superb beer.

Get across to Vancouver Island - the ferry ride itself is great - and if you like beaches go to Tofino - it's a long drive but worthwhile and lots of inexpensive places to stay with a great buzz about the place.

All is all you can't go wrong

Apparently a whale watching boat near Tofino off Vancouver Island wasn't so nice Sunday evening. Just reported that the boat with 27 people on board sunk and four are dead.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2298459/b...-board-sinks-near-tofino-multiple-fatalities/

Dec 15, 2014
Here
I had no idea that the five who died were British. I knew they would be tourists but no idea it would hit so close to home. When I saw the report on telly I heard it was off Vancouver Island and that there had been a thread about Vancouver on NSC.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I’ve done Vancouver and Toronto, liked them both but have to say I prefer Vancouver. Toronto seems to have modeled itself on New York whereas Vancouver had an almost European feel to me – must be the French influence. Agree with other posters about there being plenty to see and do with a very diverse cultural vibe. I went in winter and some of the views across to Vancouver Island were stunning.

Tomo1794

Apr 7, 2009
Leighton Buzzard
There's plenty to do in Toronto, but make sure you pack for all weather, at the moment it can be anything from -5C to +20C (it was snowing last week, today it's sunny and I didn't even need a coat when I went out). I'd recommend:

- Kensington Market, it feels a bit like The North Laine with interesting little shops, bars, restaurants from around the world
- CN Tower, hard to knock the view from the top
- Niagara Falls needs to be ticked off, it's about 2 hours away. Make sure you go to the vineyards and Niagara-on-the-Lake (much better than the slightly tacky town where the falls are)
- Take a boat to the islands
- The Distillery District
- If you want to get out of the city and like the outdoors I'd recommend going to the Blue Mountains, or even better Algonquin Park (although it's about a 4 hour drive from the city)

Cheers for this. A mate in Ohio has warned about the varying weather there so can imagine what it's like as you go further north. I'm staying in Niagara (Canadian side) for two nights, which I hope isn't too long, so can tick the falls off before arriving in Toronto.

Definitely want to do the climb around the CN tower.

The Maple Leafs are playing while I'm there which I'm on the fence about whether to go to or not.

Will look into the Blue Mountains, Algonquin may be a bit far with my travel limitations ha!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
The Maple Leafs are playing while I'm there which I'm on the fence about whether to go to or not.

Tickets are stupidly expensive ($65 for the cheapest ticket, STANDING right at the top) and the Maple Leafs WERE LOOSE. It's cracking entertainment though.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Thinking of going to Vancouver end of May so any recommendations on areas to stay in the city ?

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Useful! I booked Vancouver up last week for July. What kind of temperatures can I expect? Fitting it in with Seattle San Fran La Vegas

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Useful! I booked Vancouver up last week for July. What kind of temperatures can I expect? Fitting it in with Seattle San Fran La Vegas

Have been to Canada in July, and reckon it's about the same here - early to mid 20 degrees.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here