Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Can you really make offenders attend sentencing?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Typical gesture policy from a desperate government. Unless you're going to knock people out and carry them in BA Baracus style, the only thing you can do to non-conformists is additionally charge them with Contempt of Court and add an unpayable fine or unservable time to their sentence.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
This kind of smacks of grandstanding politics.

Can’t see how you can make people do anything short of putting them in a Hannibal suit.

I'm not sure why this is required.
My assumption is that they are in attendance for the verdict, in most cases.
Why should they have to come back to the court after that?
Surely the verdict is the most critical point of the case?
That is the point justice is served.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
No you can't. The manpower required to forcibly pick someone up and drag them into court and then keep them there will be expensive and disproportionate. And what if they decide to scream and shout, kick off, spit, etc how will that be managed? Do we really want to add this burden to the courts and police?

Its cowardly and disgusting but if the person knows they are getting banged up I can see why they would not want to attend. What does forcing them to attend achieve? If they don't want to listen to the bereaved families or similar they'll just put their fingers in their ears and ignore.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not Listening La La GIF by Ranveer Singh

…coming soon to a courtroom near you.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
I haven't read the link, but are they saying they will allow prison and GeoAmey (privatised prison transport) staff to use force to bring them into the court room, or are they going to do it by saying that if you don't attend sentencing your sentence will be increased/greater?

If it's the former, I can't see it working as the defendant could just be completely disruptive in the court room leading to them needing to be removed again.

I've also heard them say a possibility could be that they will live stream the sentencing into prisoners cells. I don't see that working either because firstly what would it achieve (they still won't be present in court), and secondly they could just stand with their fingers in their ears shouting so they can't hear what's being said.

It's a good headline, but from a practical point of view I don't see how it would work.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
It’s a nothing policy to attract the Daily Mail / Express readers.
If you are getting a whole life sentence what difference would it make if they extended your sentence? That is even before the sentencing panels get involved with the lesser crimes

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Rules made in haste off the back of emotionally charged news stories seldom achieve positive results

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
This kind of smacks of grandstanding politics.

Can’t see how you can make people do anything short of putting them in a Hannibal Lector suit.

Well, you can make them go to prison so I don’t see why you can’t make them go into a courtroom ?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I was more concerned to read recently 7 out of 10 officers in the Met haven't made a proper arrest in the last 12 months.

This country is truly going to rat shit before our eyes.
I expect they’ll get their figures up this December *taps nose*

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It’s a nothing policy to attract the Daily Mail / Express readers.
If you are getting a whole life sentence what difference would it make if they extended your sentence? That is even before the sentencing panels get involved with the lesser crimes
and was drummed along by opposition after the last high profile case. what's the government doing, when will they do something? gov not strong enough to say nothing needs to be done. judgement is close of the case and sentancing is a formality, seems many groups have decided its important for some personal remorse statment from the criminal, overlooking to obvious issues that will arise.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well, you can make them go to prison so I don’t see why you can’t make them go into a courtroom ?
How is that going to help victim's families? Defendants have stared at families, sworn at them, and it puts the security guards at risk.
I've seen nonsense about tasering them, adding to their sentence; how is that going to affect someone with multiple whole life sentences?

It has happened for years, so this is just a knee jerk reaction from the Home Office to distract from their dreadful human rights abuses.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I was more concerned to read recently 7 out of 10 officers in the Met haven't made a proper arrest in the last 12 months.

This country is truly going to rat shit before our eyes.
Too busy stalking/sexually assaulting women, or sending racist/sexist 'bantz' to their mates?

The 'canteen culture' seems to be stuck in the 1970s.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
How is that going to help victim's families? Defendants have stared at families, sworn at them, and it puts the security guards at risk.
I've seen nonsense about tasering them, adding to their sentence; how is that going to affect someone with multiple whole life sentences?

It has happened for years, so this is just a knee jerk reaction from the Home Office to distract from their dreadful human rights abuses.
I was answering a question about whether it is possible to force criminals to be present in court for sentencing. Clearly it is. I have no idea whether or not it helps victims’ families. Olivia Korbel’s family clearly think it will, hence their campaign. They have been speaking eloquently about how the current system made them feel. I am inclined to listen.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I was answering a question about whether it is possible to force criminals to be present in court for sentencing. Clearly it is. I have no idea whether or not it helps victims’ families. Olivia Korbel’s family clearly think it will, hence their campaign. They have been speaking eloquently about how the current system made them feel. I am inclined to listen.
I'm more inclined to listen to those who work regularly in the courts and in the police/prison service.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here