Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can you help me out? - Forced Entry to Property

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
There is no way that they can force entry, then bill you for the new locks.
They would have to give you at least four weeks intended notice, you could easily have been abroard on holiday when they informed you of their intentions.

SeagullSarge

Jul 8, 2012
Think you might have just lost the NSC dressing room here Sarge :lol:

Standard... I'm not very good at these forum things...

I'm just concerned/worried/cautious that next week my flat will be forcefully entered without my consent and just wondered where I stand when it comes to who is allowed to do this and whether or not I have the right to deny them entry.. I have done nothing wrong and feel like I'm being essentially bullied by the PM company

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I'm just concerned/worried/cautious that next week my flat will be forcefully entered without my consent and just wondered where I stand when it comes to who is allowed to do this and whether or not I have the right to deny them entry.. I have done nothing wrong and feel like I'm being essentially bullied by the PM company

See posts 13 & 17 by happypig. Tell the company that you know they have to get a warrant to force entry and change the locks, and that you will contact the local magistrates court to oppose any such warrant. Then repeat the fact that you can be there the following week for access.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Fair enough mate, and plenty wise words up top on this thread. Seems like the worst thing that can happen - without knowing the finer details - is you have to take a day off work that you hadn't planned to (or send a family member/mate to fully represent you if you genuinely can't be there). Either way, nobody's just going to steamroll into your home/property without you having the opportunity to have some proper dialogue about the matter and to hopefully reach a compromise.

SeagullSarge

Jul 8, 2012
See posts 13 & 17 by happypig. Tell the company that you know they have to get a warrant to force entry and change the locks, and that you will contact the local magistrates court to oppose any such warrant. Then repeat the fact that you can be there the following week for access.

You guys are stars... thanks for the advise, it can just all be a bit daunting when you have a company applying pressure like this and I have honestly done nothing wrong, your help is very much appreciated!

Jan 30, 2008
Evening all,

I wouldn't normally reach out like this for help, being a Seagulls forum an all...

I have a bit of a situation with my Flat in Southampton, and wonder if anyone else has had a similar problem or know the law on forced entry to a property.

I own a flat in Southampton and have moved out to live back in Brighton, leaving the flat for sale and vacant. The property is serviced by Geothermal hot water, this system is billed and managed by a property management company. They have sent me a letter through this week informing me that they are coming to inspect the system as they suspect there is something wrong with it as the readings are low (no surprise seeing as though I have left the property vacant). They have informed me that they are coming on Monday/Tuesday next week and require access to my flat, if I am not there (which I won't be as I am at work and cannot get to Soton) they will force entry and change the locks at my cost! Also claiming that they will have the Police with them!

Please can some one help me with where I legally stand, presumably they can't just go waltzing into any house they feel like? in my mind this would be criminal damage, breaking and entry, and also trespass..

I thank you all for your help
NEED A WARRANT, NORMALLY ACCESS GAINED BY A LOCKSMITH, POLICE WOULD ONLY GET INVOLVED IF ACCESS WAS STILL REFUSED WHEN THE PROPERTY IS OCCUPIED AFTER THE WARRANT WAS ISSUED
regards
DR

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
You guys are stars... thanks for the advise, it can just all be a bit daunting when you have a company applying pressure like this and I have honestly done nothing wrong, your help is very much appreciated!
happypig's advice is sound. He is in fact a magistrate himself.

Good luck.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here