Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Can you get CDs cleaned / scratches removed anywhere

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
... in or around Brighton?

I know CDs are "old hat" nowadays but I've some limited edition cds with a few marks, light scratches (still play perfectly. There's loads of music you still can't stream on spotify, tidal etc.

Cex used to clean discs for £3 but they stopped I believe.

Anybody know of anywhere? Cheers.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
I used to take them to Tomorrows World, Video Box or Blockbuster back in the day.

You can probably take them CEX or any other store that buys used games and DVDs, as they must clean up discs before they sell them on.

herecomesaregular

Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I used to take them to Tomorrows World, Video Box or Blockbuster back in the day.

You can probably take them CEX or any other store that buys used games and DVDs, as they must clean up discs before they sell them on.
Fair enough back in the day :lol:. Last time I went into Cex they said it costs them too much, they only do their own discs, you can't take in some to be cleaned. Just find it odd that while cds are understandably "on the wane" you can't seem to get rare ones cleaned up.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I remember when the first CDs came out and we were told they were indestructible.

My memory was it was actually the non playing side that people didn't care about. Scratch that and you remove the mirror.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm not sure the places you'd take them do a better job that you can do yourself

herecomesaregular

Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I'm not sure the places you'd take them do a better job that you can do yourself
Cex used to have an industrial machine and liquid that span for a minute or two and the disc came out unmarked but the chap i spoke to a few years ago back there said the lease price and cost of liquid was extortionate. Perhaps no where owns one anymore.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
These guys claim to have the kit

Looks like someone doing at home according to the address.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Fair enough back in the day :lol:. Last time I went into Cex they said it costs them too much, they only do their own discs, you can't take in some to be cleaned. Just find it odd that while cds are understandably "on the wane" you can't seem to get rare ones cleaned up.

Yeah I still buy/collect CDs. It's annoying that so many artists don't bother releasing music on that format these days!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Five minute job

1693862146768.png

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Can’t you sell them to CEX, let them clean them for resale and then buy them back for 50p each?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You can purchase CD repair kits from
Amazon for about £15

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Cex used to have an industrial machine and liquid that span for a minute or two and the disc came out unmarked but the chap i spoke to a few years ago back there said the lease price and cost of liquid was extortionate. Perhaps no where owns one anymore.
I get discs from Cinema Paradiso, and I imagine they go through a machine clean, but sometimes they don't play perfectly when I get them, so I clean them myself, which usually fixes the issue.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Top tip: go into CEX with a pile DVDs/games to ‘exchange’. Tell them you’re going to have a browse at what they’ve got whilst they sort through your gubbins - any disks that have scratches on they will clean up enough to ensure that they can actually trade it in.

Once they’re done, tell them you’ve not seen anything you fancy and don’t want to trade anything after all. Scratch free disks at no charge.

Obviously this tactic would only be used by unscrupulous people and I do not condone it/haven’t done it frequently at all.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
I used tooth paste for light scratches.

A bit on a cotton cloth, with a bit of luke warm water, and they were as good as new.

Thank me later.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
True, on the wane they may well be, but there are still loads about, I have quite a collection of them even though l hardly ever play them now.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
... in or around Brighton?

I know CDs are "old hat" nowadays but I've some limited edition cds with a few marks, light scratches (still play perfectly. There's loads of music you still can't stream on spotify, tidal etc.

Cex used to clean discs for £3 but they stopped I believe.

Anybody know of anywhere? Cheers.
Why don't you burn them onto new CDs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here