Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Can we win promotion with this squad?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Course we can. Our squad is stronger now (other than LB) than it was at the beginning of last season and we still have more signings to come, apparently.

This is the key for me, we are miles ahead of where we were this time last year. I can see us doing a fair bit of business before the deadline. LB does appear to be a worry.

What about the comparative strength of the league though? I think alot depends on how the 5 remaining sides relegated from the PL in the last 2 years do. Bolton, Blackburn & especially Wolves under-achieved massively last year.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Can we? Yes. Worse sides have got promoted than this.

Will we? Not without an extra few additions and even then it is difficult to say without seeing how other signings bed in at other clubs etc.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Hmmm

If Kemy and Dave are in..

If we get a good LB in

and if we stay reasonably injury-free then we should be there or thereabouts

But not champions material.... more play-offs again.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
No. People don't realise how well GP did here and what he built IMO. Mid table this sdeason - lower half mid table - and it won't be good enough for some (idiots) i'm afraid. Just my opinino - of course hope i'm WELL wrong.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
IF Oscar is the real deal and can improve on what Poyet started then with a few player additions I'd say definitely, we could even challenge for top spot.

The unknowns are basically how good is Oscar, who are the new additions and how long will it take for the players to adjust to playing the Oscar way?

I am cautiously optimistic that this season can be as good if not better than last season.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I don't see how anyone can acurately predict how our season will go when we've not even played a single competitive match. There are just too many variables:-

-decent manager, but only managed 24 league matches as a full time coach in Tel Aviv
-manager not used to Championship (works both ways, as the oppo won't know what to expect)
-new players, some won't be signed until after the season starts - bedding in period can vary, if we don't get off to a good start, it will make it much harder to finish in the top 6.
-amex factor - will we still get close to 30k for the big matches? really not sure, could this affect us in any way? Maybe, maybe not
-other clubs - last season, everyone beat everyone else, meaning we finished 4th without winning that many games - will it be the same this year? no idea?

So lots of variables, I am confident we have a good set of players and what looks like a decent manager, so top 10 feels do able - more than that, I have no idea!

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
We're not going to draw many if OGJ sets up like he did with Villareal. Got a sneaky feeling that CMS might flourish under a more direct manager and Leo's hold up play. Upson was a really big signing, he was class against the Spaniards. Definitely there or thereabouts.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Did the oppo work out Leo a bit at the end of last season? If so, who do we have who can exploit any gaps defenders may be leaving whilst they are focusing on negating Leo? We need CMS back and we need him firing I think to give us some variation (or Hoskins.....but I suspect we'll never see him at 100%).

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Our style of play is incredibly reliant on strong full backs. I've not seen us play under Garcia yet but I don't imagine it'll be a million miles from the Poyet way. When we walked league one it's because Gus bought in Painter and Calde. In the championship we instantly upgraded to Bruno and Bridge.

I'm not saying we won't do it, but we really need to sign a MUCH more assured LB in my eyes. At least if we want to mount a serious challenge.

Also worth remembering a season is a marathon, I think we're too light in midfield to go the distance at the moment. A tough run of games or an injury to Bridcutt and we're looking to the Development Squad.

Although obviously having Ulloa from the outset will be a massive plus and I'm certain he'll make waves this year.

But promotion? Not a chance until we sign more CMs and an experienced and assured LB.

Also, the harmony of the backroom staff is important as it effects the whole atmosphere around the club. I'd say Garcia has a job on his hands with that side of things. Happenings are not over-positive behind the scenes at the moment.

All good until you suggested negative happenings in the backroom staff. What are you talking about? They are ALL OG's picks, two of whom are his most trusted aids from MTA!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
We'll be there or thereabouts, but we MUST sign a more experienced Championship-standard LB soonest.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Course we can. Hull showed that it can be done without any star players at all.

But we will improve further.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Don't forget there was a quite a bit of turmoil at the likes of Bolton, Blackburn, Leeds and Forest though, all of which had good squads underneath the management shambles. That looks sorted at at least two of those, if not the lot. Leicester and Watford were good sides last year who have stability and will surely strengthen further, and the teams that came down - QPR could unravel if Harry leaves, but equally they could destroy the division. Reading and Wigan look well-placed to challenge.

So I make that at least six sides, and possibly nine, who appear stronger than us to me. Boro can never be ruled out and both Ipswich and Millwall seem to have something good going on. Can Powell continue the Charlton rise and will Wednesday be stronger this year? At least there appears to be nothing special about the teams coming up.

I think it will be just as fluid a division as last year and unlike last year I think we 'll be caught up in the maelstrom in the middle of the pack, I couldn't guess which way we'll be spat out at the end.

an excellent post.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Don't forget there was a quite a bit of turmoil at the likes of Bolton, Blackburn, Leeds and Forest though, all of which had good squads underneath the management shambles. That looks sorted at at least two of those, if not the lot. Leicester and Watford were good sides last year who have stability and will surely strengthen further, and the teams that came down - QPR could unravel if Harry leaves, but equally they could destroy the division. Reading and Wigan look well-placed to challenge.

So I make that at least six sides, and possibly nine, who appear stronger than us to me. Boro can never be ruled out and both Ipswich and Millwall seem to have something good going on. Can Powell continue the Charlton rise and will Wednesday be stronger this year? At least there appears to be nothing special about the teams coming up.

I think it will be just as fluid a division as last year and unlike last year I think we 'll be caught up in the maelstrom in the middle of the pack, I couldn't guess which way we'll be spat out at the end.

Spot on - tougher league this year - please note @D Block Blue

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Spot on - tougher league this year - please note @D Block Blue

The same thing is spouted year after year after year. The division is almost always exactly the same, relegated teams struggle and big teams underachieve. I do think Reading and Wigan will be strong but guarantee a few of the Leicester, Forest, Leeds etc will go nowhere.

Our side is MUCH better now than it was at the same point last season.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
All good until you suggested negative happenings in the backroom staff. What are you talking about? They are ALL OG's picks, two of whom are his most trusted aids from MTA!

I suspect Biscuit will know what he is talking about.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The first XI are good enough except left back but the general; squad is not good enough or deep enough if we get injuries or suspensions at the moment, but the transfer window doesnt close for another 5 weeks so we may improve the squad.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Ask again end of October.. suspensions injuries and lady luck all play a part.. if the league is as crazy as last year anything could happen

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Can we win promotion with this squad?

Simple answer is NO.

1: Too many teams like Wigan Ath, Reading, Leicester, QPR, to name but a few have stronger teams.
2: We do not have a manager with experiance of and who knows what is required in the English league.
3: QPR, Reading, Wigan Ath and few other teams have more money at their disposal if required.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here