Can we win promotion in the Sheffield Wednesday game?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I selfishly hope not, as the Brighton Marathon is the next day so I won't be able to join in the celebratory drinking :drink: :cry:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I seflishly hope not as well. I am hoping for the Walsall game.

To win promotion with 7 games to spare would be ridiculous.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Think my maths is correct-Sheff Wednesday is the earliest game we can be promoted and champions. Cannot get promoted at Rochdale by 1 point!

HOWEVER THIS IS RELYING UPON HUDDS,SCC AND POSH LOSING PRETTY MUCH EVERYTHING BETWEEN NOW AND THEN (AND US WINNING EVERYTHING BETWEEN NOW AND THEN). Highly unlikely.

Therefore much more likely scenario is promotion Dagenham (H)/Walsall and Title at SCC or Colchester.

How to prepare for a fall-lesson 1.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
The earliest date we can win promotion is Tuesday 5th April when we're not even playing.

It won't happen, because it involves our rivals losing every game and us winning every game!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
The earliest date we can win promotion is Tuesday 5th April when we're not even playing.

It won't happen, because it involves our rivals losing every game and us winning every game!

Not strictly true. Hudds would have to lose all there's and Peterboro draw one and lose two. Very unlikely as you say tho.

If both Peterborough and Huddersfield lose just one game each before we play Sheffield Wednesday AND we win all four games up to and including the Wednesday game, then we will have 89 points ... and promotion, because, by then, only Southampton can touch us. I'm assuming that Peterbough's vastly inferior goal difference will put them out of the race for automatic promotion. If Huddersfield drop 3 points and Peterborough drop 4 points by then, promotion will be certain, without goal difference being a factor.

Bearing in mind that Huddersfield play Peterborough on the day we play Sheffield Wednesday, we can be certain that some points WILL be dropped.

Games to be played before we play Sheffield Wednesday and Huddersfield play Peterborough (on Saturday 9 April):

Bristol Rovers v Peterborough
Huddersfield v Notts County
Peterborough v Bournemouth
Tranmere v Huddersfield
Dag & Red v Peterborough

Three draws would be enough for us to be promoted on 9 April (if we can win our next four games):-

Peterborough v Bournemouth
Tranmere v Huddersfield
Huddersfield v Peterborough

On the other hand ... if we drop the odd point or three, we might have to wait until Leyton Orient get a point or three against Peterborough on Friday 22 April.

There's something rather unsatisfactory about getting promoted when we're not even playing. But it's happened before.

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
Five wins and a draw guarantees promotion - six wins and a draw guarantees the championship.

Deduct from this all the points dropped by others and the points required by us also reduces.

We cannot mathematically finish below tenth even now. This does not take into account "dog eat dog" games.

Seagull1967

Aug 8, 2009
Barnsley
I would be amazed if Brighton won the next four games to take us to 89 points and if we did it would take the pressure off which would enable us to have a relaxed run in. :laugh:

robbie c

Jan 30, 2008
Leighton buzzard
Q. what does the following sequence represent 85/87/80/83/76/79/82/83

A. the number of points 3rd placed team have accumulated over the last 8 seasons. We could have 83 by Tuesday night meaning that with our goal difference we would be promoted in 6 out of the last 8 seasoins.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports