[Albion] Can we talk about Sanchez ?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Don't know how 'friendly' the agreement between RdZ and Sanchez not to travel and be on the bench is - but it does look as if Sanchez has rather been chucked under the bus.
My way or the highway - does that look a bit like RdZ's strategy? Well, that's fine - strong management .................

.............. up to a point. Webster next?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I think De Zerbi was probably a dick head as a player, and had rows with his coaches, so he gets it when players lose their shit a bit. He is just saying it isn't personal, he gets why Sanchez is pissed off, but he is the boss and Sanchez needs to respect that.
If the problem with Sanchez is that he just doesn't have the desire to play with the ball at his feet as much as is being asked of him, there is not much that can be done. If he can get good with his feet though, he will be a more in demand keeper than if he is just a good shot stopper.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
You can dislike the managers position. You can think he's full of crap, and you can hate not seeing a pathway to the first team but he simply has to be there for the team. He's made himself unavailable for selection for the remaining games. Including Newcastle, Man City and Arsenal. Hes also saying to his colleague Steele. There's no way I can be even near a squad that might think you are better than me.

If Steele gets an injury in a warm up in any of these - literally era defining - games. Then we play some of the best teams in Europe with a kid in goal when as a CLUB we are on course for a historic season. A club that has made Sanchez into a senior professional and supported him.

All because one bloke, for a short period of time, is a bit fed up.

I applaud your ability to try and be open minded enough to see things from his perspective but I don't think even after a pint of ayuasca (if you can get it in pints!?) I'd have enough of a 3rd eye to give him the time of day.
Firstly, I’m the other end of the spectrum to this. Clubs, including our own, show zero loyalty to players when it suits, and players have very short careers that can be ended in an instant, so I’ve no issue with players aggressively going after what they want. It’s life - we all do it in our day jobs, so why shouldn’t football players do it?

Also, we’ve been throwing kids into our first team all season… what’s one more. Sanchez himself was a kid when he got thrown in, after all.

From a personal perspective, I think it’s a huge loss assuming he does go. Steele doesn’t fill me with confidence at all when it comes to any of the actual goalkeeping stuff, and last night was another example of that. Hopefully we can find a goalkeeper that marries Steele’s ability with his feet with Sanchez’s size and goalkeeping ability, because I worry for us long term if we’re putting all our eggs into the Steele shaped gloves.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Firstly, I’m the other end of the spectrum to this. Clubs, including our own, show zero loyalty to players when it suits, and players have very short careers that can be ended in an instant, so I’ve no issue with players aggressively going after what they want. It’s life - we all do it in our day jobs, so why shouldn’t football players do it?

Also, we’ve been throwing kids into our first team all season… what’s one more. Sanchez himself was a kid when he got thrown in, after all.

From a personal perspective, I think it’s a huge loss assuming he does go. Steele doesn’t fill me with confidence at all when it comes to any of the actual goalkeeping stuff, and last night was another example of that. Hopefully we can find a goalkeeper that marries Steele’s ability with his feet with Sanchez’s size and goalkeeping ability, because I worry for us long term if we’re putting all our eggs into the Steele shaped gloves.
Depends who replaces him. Given the club's recruitment over the past few seasons, I'm excited!

Adiós Big Bob and thanks for the memories :bigwave:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

He isn't 'aggressively going after what he wants'. That would be working his arse off and forcing his way into the side and getting all the big clubs to take notice and come for him. He is throwing his toys out the pram like a spoilt child, and in the process is disrespecting his team mates, thousands of fans who pay to see him play, and the guy who pays him tens of thousands of pounds a week. The are 4 games to go for God's sake, is it really that much to ask for him to make himself available, as per his contract?

Bizarrely he is literally outside my window right now, I just saw as I was typing this. That is extremely weird.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
He isn't 'aggressively going after what he wants'. That would be working his arse off and forcing his way into the side and getting all the big clubs to take notice and come for him. He is throwing his toys out the pram like a spoilt child, and in the process is disrespecting his team mates, thousands of fans who pay to see him play, and the guy who pays him tens of thousands of pounds a week. The are 4 games to go for God's sake, is it really that much to ask for him to make himself available, as per his contract?

Bizarrely he is literally outside my window right now, I just saw as I was typing this. That is extremely weird.
Can you ask him what the story is?

We need to know his side :D

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Can you ask him what the story is?

We need to know his side :D
He was in his car. Concerned he's just parked up and is coming up to get me.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

This is how I feel about Steele. He's great when we're in control of the game and the defence is confortable, but not so good as a last line of defence when it all goes wrong in front of him. This is sort of reflected in the scorelines in the games he's played where it's either a clean sheet or we concede a load of goals.

Still a decent back-up to have, but I hope that a new first-choice keeper is a priority this summer on the basis that Sanchez has played his last game for us.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Which of last night’s goals are you putting down to Steele’s keeping ?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

What's a GK supposed to do to get back in the side though? Not much you can do sitting on the bench.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
What's a GK supposed to do to get back in the side though? Not much you can do sitting on the bench.
It's an odd kind of relationship tho. You're supposed to pretend to be totally supportive of the guy keeping you out of your job. Must be a bit like going into shared ownership of a property with a stranger. You must be secretly wishing they fall under a bus :lol:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It's an odd kind of relationship tho. You're supposed to pretend to be totally supportive of the guy keeping you out of your job. Must be a bit like going into shared ownership of a property with a stranger. You must be secretly wishing they fall under a bus :lol:
Youre right; it must genuinely be really hard to sit there and support your own team. At least when you're an outfield player on the bench, you've got a very good chance of getting on for 30 mins to prove your point due to either a tactical change or fatigue or injury to a starting player. Goalkeepers never get subbed off tactically, and they rarely get injured. I can imagine that training 5 days a week for the purpose of 5-6 cup games every year would be a bit disheartening to a 25 year old keeper.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
What is any player meant to do?

Knuckle down, show a good attitude, support your fellow teammates, work on your weaknesses, impress in training and be ready when the time comes.

i.e. exactly what Jason Steele did to get his chance in the side..

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
fairly scathing article on Bob in The Athletic

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports