[Albion] Can we talk about Sanchez ?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
This isn’t an ideal situation for any top player wanting to play football rather than gather splinters for the sake of it but for a GK it’s worse as coaches rarely sub GKs off the bench unless for injury.

Sanchez has been a great stopper for us and served us well for several years in the PL2 and in 2021/22 as our first team no.1, with 11 clean sheets in 37 league appearances, a record high in the Premier League for an Albion keeper:

Until that is with the continuing development under RDZ which increasingly required a GK who was happier in possession and more adept at playing with his feet - that’s not Sanchez’s fault (other than the few costly clangers he’s made) nor certainly not the manager’s but it’s just a case that he ceased to be RDZs first choice for our style of play. For a young first choice no1 (in GK years) stopper, to almost overnight, finding himself ‘relegated’ to the bench and in the humiliating position of watching someone else take his place week in and week out, including watching his replacement concede 5 goals at Everton - well that cant be easy, so we need to cut him some slack, shirley. He hasn’t stormed off or had his agent tweeting rumour deals with other clubs to hold TB at ransom, nor done a sulky runner to Spain but has stated (according to RDZ) that he would rather not travel having been told he would not be playing. GKs are the only position are unlikely to be subbed during a match (bar injury) since the position hardly effects tactics and the role is generally not energy intensive enough to require a rest inside 90mins so I can understand why Sanchez requested to be left out of the named squad given the way things have be going. Yes, it’s a bit sulky. Yes he’s getting 50 grand a week but that’s to play football which he’s not getting to do.

I agree, that it is likely he will move on over the summer (for a decent fee) and Sanchez not wanting to be named in the squad knowing there’s next to zero chance of him playing is not ideal but we don’t know what’s going on behind closed doors or in closed training or what Sanchez’s mental state is so it’s unfair to judge him so harshly imo.

Last edited:

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Was told he fell out with De Zerbi months ago and has been sulking since. Quite a row by all accounts
About the time he was dropped?

The other thing that needs to be addressed is how disrespectful it is to Steele. The goalkeepers code dictates you help the other keeper even if you have to bite your lip as it happens to everyone at some point.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
This isn’t an ideal situation for any top player wanting to play football rather than gather splinters for the sake of it but for a GK it’s worse as coaches rarely sub GKs off the bench unless for injury.

Sanchez has been a great stopper for us and served us well for several years in the PL2 and in 2021/22 as our first team no.1, with 11 clean sheets in 37 league appearances, a record high in the Premier League for an Albion keeper:

Until that is with the continuing development under RDZ which increasingly required a GK who was happier in possession and more adept at playing with his feet - that’s not Sanchez’s fault (other than the few costly clangers he’s made) nor certainly not the manager’s but it’s just a case that he ceased to be RDZs first choice for our style of play. For a young first choice no1 (in GK years) stopper, to almost overnight, finding himself ‘relegated’ to the bench and in the humiliating position of watching someone else take his place week in and week out, including watching his replacement concede 5 goals at Everton - well that cant be easy, so we need to cut him some slack, shirley. He hasn’t stormed off or had his agent tweeting rumour deals with other clubs to hold TB at ransom, nor done a sulky runner to Spain but has stated (according to RDZ) that he would rather not travel having been told he would not be playing. GKs are the only position are unlikely to be subbed during a match (bar injury) since the position hardly effects tactics and the role is generally not energy intensive enough to require a rest inside 90mins so I can understand why Sanchez requested to be left out of the named squad given the way things have be going. Yes, it’s a bit sulky. Yes he’s getting 50 grand a week but that’s to play football which he’s not getting to do.

I agree, that it is likely he will move on over the summer (for a decent fee) and Sanchez not wanting to be named in the squad knowing there’s next to zero chance of him playing is not ideal but we don’t know what’s going on behind closed doors or in closed training or what Sanchez’s mental state is so it’s unfair to judge him so harshly imo.
I could not disagree more. He is a professional footballer, so he should behave like one.

If he is refusing to travel with the squad and refusing to sit on the bench, then I hope the club hit him with the maximum fine possible and ship him out in the summer.

Downing tools becuase the manager has decided to pick another player in his postion is a disgrace.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Absolutely amazing for both parties if true. Clearly RDZ doesn't fancy him, clearly he doesn't fancy fighting for a place. I actually think he might be shown up at a "bigger club" but wish him the best.

figgis

Mar 23, 2012
Worthing
Hope after like the rest of us if he didn't want to work he don't get paid. Steele moving forward is a likeable guy. But BIg Bob is and has proved to be a disaster waiting to happen. Shame really by Bob!

figgis

Mar 23, 2012
Worthing
Hope after like the rest of us if he didn't want to work he don't get paid. Steele moving forward is a likeable guy. But BIg Bob is and has proved to be a disaster waiting to happen. Shame really by Bob!
Steele long term is not the answer. Look at his fringe for christ sake.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Will be interesting if Steele is injured before the end of the season (not that we want that to happen) does McGill start?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Top post.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Bob won’t go before the season ends so will still have a chance of game time and impress any suitors. The money being talked about for him is all very well but a PL ready replacement won‘t be cheap.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
There's a reason they say you have to be crazy to be a goalkeeper.

One wrongly positioned limb and your team is down a goal. It's incredibly unforgiving.

But either you have the mentality to deal with pressure or you don't, I was a decent keeper because I didn't let pressure get to me.
I'm sure you were - and so was/is Sanchez, but now he's the bad guy it's just a sign that he's too laid back, eh?

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
About the time he was dropped?

The other thing that needs to be addressed is how disrespectful it is to Steele. The goalkeepers code dictates you help the other keeper even if you have to bite your lip as it happens to everyone at some point.
More to do with the reasons / mistakes at the time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports