Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Can we talk about Sanchez ?

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
Yes. He'll be going. He's been visibly unhappy about playing second fiddle.

As ever, hope we can extract a good price
Our group stayed after the Wolves demolition and were outside the North when the players were coming down.

Undav, Gilmour, Enciso were all smiles as the fans chanted for them.

Sanchez walked past everyone not pausing for any photographs or signings while everyone was chanting his name.

Ike and Tina Burner

Mar 22, 2019
He's too good to be our second choice and obviously De Zerbi doesn't fancy him but selling him now would be a big mistake I think. I have a feeling we'll loan him out to a competetive European club to build up his value a bit and then reassess next summer.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
Never been confident watching Sanchez at corners or with crosses, even before the Palace fiasco. I think RDZ is clearly thinking about mentality as a big factor as well, Steele spent so much time as number two and seemingly never threw his toys out the pram. Big Bob is dropped for ten games and he already seems like he’s given up.
The same Sanchez who since he's come in has statistically been the best keeper in the league at dealing with corners and crosses?

That Sanchez?

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
Do you have a link to those statistics?
They were from a GK focused twitter account a little while ago.

I don't have twitter anymore so can't search for the tweets but he has consistently been the best at claiming crosses in the PL.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
They were from a GK focused twitter account a little while ago.

I don't have twitter anymore so can't search for the tweets but he has consistently been the best at claiming crosses in the PL.
This disagrees and has him at only 7.4%. Several with double figure % ahead of him.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Sanchez is a very good keeper, being kept out by one that suits De Zerbi slightly better. Personally, I like the switching up of the keeper, keeps the opposition guessing a bit, so I hope all is good long term with Sanchez, and any unhappiness is short lived.

est.83

Dec 6, 2003
Estonia
How do those stats compare with other keepers in the PL? 89.2% seems v good , although most are only 5 yard passes,but the save% perhaps a little low compared to the top keepers, I am guessing?

Steele's stats are edersonesque, I would say. And I think that is what de Zerbi wants from his keepers.

Steele's save % is average but mostly keepers playing for teams that are sitting deeper, allowing more opponent possession and shots have better save % stats as shots made from outside the crowded penalty area probably easier to save..

Do you have a link to those statistics?

Stats for all goalkeepers can be found here: https://fbref.com/en/comps/9/keepers/Premier-League-Stats
Plus Advanced goalkeeping link (you probably have to uncheck "Hide non-qualifiers" checkbox to see Steele stats as well).

Mar 4, 2023
The same Sanchez who since he's come in has statistically been the best keeper in the league at dealing with corners and crosses?

That Sanchez?
1684229738944.png

Fair enough, certainly was the best last season and is still up there this year as well.
Still never felt comfortable though, especially from corners, I shall try not to let my nerves get in the way of the stats next time 🤷‍♂️

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Rushworth and McGill are quality. Why do we need Kelleher?
Wouldn’t they be a bit further down the line? With loans to Championship clubs first.

A big ask to play at PL stadia with all that pressure, with their lack of experience.
Sanchez didn't need a season in the Championship. Not sure if McGill's had a meaningful loan at all, so it might be good for him if we are keeping him.
Don't forget Scherpen and Beadle as well. We are well stocked with decent young keepers.
Not sure about Scherpen. Beadle is still very young (even by De Zerbi's standards!)

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Feels like a big risk, we’ve never even seen Colwill between the sticks
But we need a ball playing keeper its a totally logical step in the De Zerbi Revolution of Premier League Football.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
He's being sold; I'm almost certain of it. If RDZ had any thoughts of integrating him back into the team, it'd have been after the Chelsea and Man U games, where he didn't do much wrong and made a superb save from a deflected Rashford shot late in the game. And if not then it'd have been after Steele conceded 5 goals, including an OG and 2 at the near post.

It's a shame, as I think that at 25 he has so much talent and potential. His time at BHA seems to be being defined by a small number of errors that have cost us goals, in particular the Palace away game, rather than some of the saves he's made or the way he's been able to use his size and athleticism to dominate his box making us instantly less susceptible to set pieces than we were with Matt Ryan.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
I wonder if losing Sanchez could prove to be De Zerbi's first big mistake? I only watch us on MOTD, highlight reels, and the occasional free-to-air televised match, but I'm sure I've seen Sanchez pinging out some damn decent passes, both short and long - was that passing level really bad enough to drop him? I realise Steele is doing well, but I'd rather have Big Bob's stopping and dominating his area ability - is Steele's footwork really that much better?
You haven’t seen enough then as Steele is the much better shot stopper and is far better with the ball at his feet. Sanchez is far too casual and at times sloppy who you know has a mistake in him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here