[Albion] Can we talk about Sanchez ?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Again with the " Always has a mistake in him" comments.

Yes the way he plays makes me nervous. That isn't because he makes loads of mistakes, it's because he plays incredibly difficult passes frequently.
He has been asked to play that way and he pulls it off consistently.

I would guess put us under pressure 2 or 3 times by getting it wrong.
He makes 30 passes a match.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Yes the way he plays makes me nervous. That isn't because he makes loads of mistakes, it's because he plays incredibly difficult passes frequently.

Exactly this. Same goes with his distribution - overhits one or two per game that sail into touch so he gets criticised but it’s because he’s aiming at a target about a square metre or two 60 yards away (and more often than not is bang on).

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
He's looking a lot more comfortable under RDZ recently. Always a big change for GKs with any management change and he's being seriously pushed by RDZ. Still well on his way to being well and truly World Class.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Every goal Bazunu concedes is insane, they've been incredibly generous there just saying 1 goal was an error. Presumably that's his pathetic attempt at stopping Lallana's header against them but there are probably a dozen goals this season you'd look at and be reminded of Maty Ryan after his form had fallen off.
You need to look into more detailed stats for that kind of data (PSXG - GA for example, Where Bazuno is bottom and Rob is 9th, slightly ahead of WC winner Martinez).

Data here and can be filtered/sorted as you wish

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
@DAZZA I can't see Bob's name
Care to explain why ? 🤔😉
It's just a vibe, duhh!

Seriously though, it's difficult to overstate, especially watching that clip from the Liverpool game, just how important a role he plays for us as a sweeper keeper. Having to assess all your options in a nano-second, with 3 opponents pressing high on the edge of your box, and continually select the right (and often very risky) pass to essentially set the tone for your entire team's performance. There can't be many out there with the ability to do that to such a high level.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Yes, this. He's not just a good goalkeeper, he's a great footballer. Was worried he might be missing Roberts but I don't think he is now.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
No Brighton player is as far as I know yet to have a 100% pass completion rate in any game, meaning the entire squad is filled with players that always have a mistake in them. Get rid of everyone.
I reckon if anyone did get 100%, it would more likely indicate they were just playing the safe pass every time, leading to a bollocking

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
If Rob Sanchez reaches his full potential and turns into one of the top 10 keepers in the world = £50m+ sale to some dirty good team somewhere. Would be ok.
If Rob Sanchez merely remains a slightly above average PL keeper (= top 30-ish keeper in the world) = goalie position secured for the next 10 years. Would be fine.

Not a terrible position to be in.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yes, this. He's not just a good goalkeeper, he's a great footballer. Was worried he might be missing Roberts but I don't think he is now.
Yep…….lucky to have him, being a keeper he’ll always be well in scope for those looking for anything negative to jump on. Not sure who they think we should have instead - he’s perfect for DeZ’s style of play.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
But his spectacular errors are probably the reason why the bigger teams haven't been sniffing around him. So that's the positive spin.
But if you believe the papers (and who doesn't) Utd are interested and see him as the keeper to replace De Gea

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
2 behind me and two next to me doing the same.
Followed by a shout of "get into them" while our perfectly set defensive shape forced Liverpool to pass the ball repeatedly
Round WSU block A 'close him down' is our 'get into them'. I think that message is fine, and the players even indulge it for much of the game, but one of the key aspects of the current game is, if you play the high intensity 'close him down' and 'get into him' game throughout, energy levels will seriously begin to lag relatively early on in the second half.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I think, whilst Sanchez is obviously good enough to be number 1 at the club, he suffers from a lack of concentration at times. I'd like to see the club bring in some serious competition for him - not to replace him, but to put a bit of pressure on him. There's no jeopardy for a bad run of form currently.
When he has this bad run of form, we can start looking at wasting money on a decent back up.
Chances are none of them will sign for us though, because our number 1 is Rob Sanchez.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
We've certainly had central midfielders whilst we've been in the pl who i don't have Robbies range of or consistency of passing

It does make me think, the way the role of keeper is changing, will they be increasingly drawn from outfield players? So at the moment a keeper will decide to be a keeper quite early on. In years to come it's easier to teach outfield players to be keepers than keepers to be outfield players

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
It's just a vibe, duhh!

Seriously though, it's difficult to overstate, especially watching that clip from the Liverpool game, just how important a role he plays for us as a sweeper keeper. Having to assess all your options in a nano-second, with 3 opponents pressing high on the edge of your box, and continually select the right (and often very risky) pass to essentially set the tone for your entire team's performance. There can't be many out there with the ability to do that to such a high level.
Difficult to underestimate surely? Thought that was the football pundit/expert terminology.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports