[Albion] Can we talk about Sanchez ?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Thanks for underlining the fact you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

With that I bid you good day.

Despite initial amusement at the (absolutely correct) statement that very few young keepers make it while at the same time categorically asserting that this one has/will/can’t fail, I agree with you and I’m out :thumbsup:

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
The chances of any of the three goalkeepers you mention becoming a top PL goalkeeper are very slim - its the nature of underage football. Bazunu is 20 years old (2 years younger than the Dutch keeper you mention) and is already going to be a starting keeper. Sanchez will be gone before too long (probably for big money) - and the club will then have to find a replacement ( and it will be very unlikely it will be one of the 3 you mention) - Bazunu could have been that keeper - he could have been bought for a bargin basement prive and sold for a huge fee in 3/4 years time.

You do realise that Bazunu has been at Man City for the past 4 years and you are aware of what Man City goalkeepers are expected to do. - Bazunu played the role you are talking about at Man City in their underage teams - and at Rochdale and Portsmouth while on loan (it was a stipulation of the loan agreements). Southampton got Bazunu for a bargain because Ederson is only 27 - if they held onto Bazunu he would have walked at the end of his contract. Instead they made £10m profit and inserted a buyback clause just in case anything happens to Ederson.

I would point out that I have been pretty much spot-on when I talk about Irish players (three years ago I said that Connolly was behind Parrott, Idah and Obafemi - practically everyone on here attempted to ridicule me - and I have been proven right). Bazunu is going to be a world class goalkeeper for the next 15/20 years - and he always was going to be from the day he made his debut for Shamrock Rovers at 16 (I was standing behind the goal during his second ever LOI game - and everyone at the match could see that this kid was going to be special - his anticipation was second to none - he was great with the ball at his feet - he never got ruffled or fazed by anything he faced).

Southampton have got him on a five year contract and Bazunu will pretty much guarantee their PL status for however long he is there - and they will probably end up getting at least £50-60m for him when he leaves.

Man City inserted a buy-back clause in the contract so £50-£60m is unlikely to say the least.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
For the 2030 world cup - probably a good bet -

Bazunu
Kelleher
Collins
Omobamidele
O'Shea
Ebosele
Ogungbo
Furlong
Adaramola
Garcia McNulty
Knight
Smallbone
Ferry
Moran
O'Neill
John Joe
Noss
Nzingo
Hodge (assuming England don't poach him)
Parrott
Ferguson
Obafemi
Idah
Fitzgerald
Odubeko
Nunn (again assuming England don't poach him)

My old friend Patrick is another Irish one who will be watching that World Cup on the telly so you could add him to the list.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Much as I loved FDM Sanchez is way, way better IMHO
de Gea is a great shot stopper but absolutely dreadful with his feet and because of this, top level football has passed by him in the last few years. As another great fan of FDM can you remind me what his biggest single weakness was ?

Big Bob is a Top keeper in 2022, 'nuff said (y)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Quite amusing that every time De Gea comes up against Big Bob, there's only one keeper that looks like a serious contender for the Spanish numero uno slot. That won't have gone unnoticed in the Spanish squad selection upper ECHELONS. Maybe this WC might come just that bit too soon, but make no mistake, our keeper's a keeper for those guys

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
de Gea is a great shot stopper but absolutely dreadful with his feet and because of this, top level football has passed by him in the last few years. As another great fan of FDM can you remind me what his biggest single weakness was ?

Big Bob is a Top keeper in 2022, 'nuff said (y)
I thought FDM was a bit iffy with the ball at his feet and his judgement was sometimes a bit off. Good shot-stopper though and always felt he had a chance when facing penalties

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Ah Kuipers then?
Whoever was running the Swedish Brighton fan-site back in the early 00s was obsessed with that man, he got like 9/10 every game.
Arguably, before the GP era, if I randomly met a Brighton fan, Kuipers, Zamora and Vicente would be pretty much the only ones I'd be able to talk about.

No idea he was called FDM though.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Best keeper we've had since FDM :bowdown: I reckon...
I thought Kusczak was a better keeper.

But I'm one of those who has to wear a tin hat when he suggests that Sanchez makes too many mistakes to be more than an average keeper at this level.

I can remember one Kusczak mistake (doubtless there were others) but lots of MOM performances. I can remember a lot of Sanchez clangers that have cost us. He makes me very nervous at set plays in our third. I can't believe he is the best Spain has.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Ah Kuipers then?
Whoever was running the Swedish Brighton fan-site back in the early 00s was obsessed with that man, he got like 9/10 every game.
Arguably, before the GP era, if I randomly met a Brighton fan, Kuipers, Zamora and Vicente would be pretty much the only ones I'd be able to talk about.

No idea he was called FDM though.
FDM CHEF

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

Attachments

• 816402C7-1087-4C8E-AFE5-4B68161B6EB7.jpeg
    816402C7-1087-4C8E-AFE5-4B68161B6EB7.jpeg
    452.7 KB · Views: 27

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports