Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can we all please just take a moment?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Agree with almost every point the original post makes - impossible not to.

But it is natural and pretty much unavoidable that fans will be frustrated or disappointed from time to time regardless of how lucky we are to have a nice stadium, our recent history etc.

And one consequence of being a bigger club - and it is probably also fair to say to an extent, a consequence of higher ticket prices - is surely that expectations increase. Sometimes the team won't meet them. And fans will be disappointed.

I would be more than happy with a top half finish this season. We are on course for that. In general, all is good as far as I am concerned.

But I can appreciate where some people are coming from - even if I don't share their opinions. The club has said it is looking for promotion, targeting the play offs etc and that the playing budget has gone up. Ticket prices are among the more expensive in the division. I can see how that would translate to some people having high expectations which the team cannot always match.

Last edited:

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
I suppose some people just like to moan for the sake of moaning. I am happy with the way things are going, with all thats happened during the summer, to be 4pts of the play-offs is nothing short of a miracle in my eyes, top it off with the injuries we have had as well.

Im 100% in the positive camp.

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
We are currently placed as the 28th best team in the country.
We are only 4 points off the play offs with a game in hand.
We have just been knocked out of the FA cup at the FIFTH round by a solid Premier League side in a 2-1 loss after them forcing a replay at our place.
We have the AMEX.
We seem to be one of the few top teams in the Championship to be trying to stick to FFP.
We have, for the second season in a row, one of the tightest defenses and arguably the best keepers in the league.
We now have players coming through the youth academy which are now regular 1st teamers, with Ince in contention for player of the season.
We all (99%) want to get to the Premier League, so we have to have this balance of club and business.
We are a bigger club than we have been for the past 30 years, that comes with consequences.
We do not have a divine right to win every game of football we play.
We, like every other club in the world, have our off days and sticky patches.
We have to remember how turbulent the last 12 months (losing the biggest game of the last 10 years against our fiercest rivals, new manager, injuries galore) and how well we have got through it.

We all signed up to this website because we are fans and support the club. We can be disappointed when we lose, but when every thread on the first page is us bemoaning some tiny aspect of the club it makes me sick. Yes we just lost 2 games back to back, but against 2 very good sides. Yes they weren't our best performances, but we lost both by only a goal.

We have 15 games left of the league season which could quite easily turn into 18. 4 points, that's the gap, with some massive games coming up.

Sorry for the long post, but think some people should try the supporting part a bit more.

If I ever meet you I will personally buy you a pint for this post. Well said. I will be mostly supporting from
now on.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Just imagine what it would be like on here if we took a real thumping at home a 0-3, or 0-4 or 1-4. Bozza would have to get a link to the Samaratans up as a Sticky.

We've never had it so good (well at least not since the early 80's), we just need to have a bit of patience. No one ever said this road wasn't going to have a few bumps in it.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
We have just been knocked out of the FA cup at the FIFTH round by a solid Premier League side in a 2-1 loss after them forcing a replay at our place.
We have the AMEX.
We seem to be one of the few top teams in the Championship to be trying to stick to FFP.
We have, for the second season in a row, one of the tightest defenses and arguably the best keepers in the league.
We now have players coming through the youth academy which are now regular 1st teamers, with Ince in contention for player of the season.
We all (99%) want to get to the Premier League, so we have to have this balance of club and business.
We are a bigger club than we have been for the past 30 years, that comes with consequences.
We have to remember how turbulent the last 12 months (losing the biggest game of the last 10 years against our fiercest rivals, new manager, injuries galore) and how well we have got through it.

We all signed up to this website because we are fans and support the club. We can be disappointed when we lose, but when every thread on the first page is us bemoaning some tiny aspect of the club it makes me sick. Yes we just lost 2 games back to back, but against 2 very good sides. Yes they weren't our best performances, but we lost both by only a goal.

We have 15 games left of the league season which could quite easily turn into 18. 4 points, that's the gap, with some massive games coming up.

Sorry for the long post, but think some people should try the supporting part a bit more.

Very well said - so much common sense and wisdom. No curmudgeons on this thread (yet) either.

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
We're allowed a moan , was so disappointed and wanted so much to play Sunderland at home . By the end of the week though I be back to supporting and backing the players , even if they play Brez in goal I will support him .

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
We have the AMEX.

Very much what he said (and what I thought).

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Quite - well said by the OP. No need to man the lifeboats just yet.

I guess we are victims of our relatively quick success both on and off the pitch - as a result many fans have heightened expectations and the odd hiccup like last night feels bad. Some fans too easily forget where we have come from over the last 20 years - and our current 'predicament' is hardly a cause to panic.

You only have to look at the bigger picture to realise that things are quite rosy - and largely only fine tuning is required to make the next step.

Oscar has only been with us for two thirds of a season and has been hampered by long term injuries to key players plus some significant departures. Judge him when he has a fully fit squad to select from - and less need for loanees.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
We have the AMEX.

I am sure the majority of fans will agree with most of what you say. However, some things that happen do rightly annoy users of this site.

1. Dropping a very good keeper and replacing them with a poor one. This only happens in cups, but do I now accept that we will never have the chance of reaching the latter stages of the two cup competitions because the manager decides that we should always handicap ourselves by playing our second choise keeper. Maybe one day we might have two great keepers and this wont be a problem.

2. Our recruiment policy seems to lack direction. Most of the fans I speak to like the idea of the manager selecting the players he wants. It seams that OG has very little input into player recruiment. This is why we keep getting plays on loan and then not playing them.

3. Whilst we do try to play football the right way, it is not proving to be very affective at the moment. The lack of goals is a real concern.

4. Fans do love the Amex, they do love the fact that we are curently the 28th best team in the country. We are all delighted that there is a new training centre opening and all the other points that you raise. Just don't expect them to be mentioned when results don't go our way. Especially when defeat against Hull could have been avoided when the goal keeper sitting in the stands is far better than the bloke on the pitch flapping at every cross.

Last edited:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
all correct
very good thread
positive and all that

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Maybe one day we might have two great keepers and this wont be a problem.

2. Our recruiment policy seems to lack direction. Most of the fans I speak to like the idea of the manager selecting the players he wants. It seams that OG has very little input into player recruiment. This is why we keep getting plays on loan and then not playing them.

You need to grasp that virtually no clubs will have two great keepers now, because any great keeper who finds himself on the bench will request a move to a club that plays him regularly. It's not like the pre-Bosman days where players will happily sit on the bench for years (well, not unless you're Steve Harper, and I didn't think he was a great keeper when he played for us anyway). Footballers hold all the cards, and if they have the talent to match their ambition, pretty much control their own destiny.

Clubs will have one great keeper, and one ordinary to mediocre one who might do a job occasionally if called upon but will never be up to the standard of the first choice. The only time this might not happen is in the case of a brilliant young keeper coming through the ranks. And in that case, you won't know he's brilliant until you play him. Then another club will try and sign him anyway. If you never, ever play that keeper (ie in cup/less important league games), then he'll ask to leave and you're back to square one.

We are simply not going to get someone of Kuszczak's standard as a reserve.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Well said the OP.

When we lose, many 'positive' supporters avoid NSC because of the unreasonable binfest it becomes. This makes the 'moaners' a majority and creates a vicious circle. The Oscar out? poll that Ernest posted shows the true temperature (9:1 in favour if you haven't seen it).

PG

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Lots of good points but doesn't change the fact our approach to a big cup game was wrong from outset, and didn't demonstrate full commitment to making next round. Doesn't make me a whinger (quite happy with general direction and not really expecting a genuine playoff contention this season).

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
You need to grasp that virtually no clubs will have two great keepers now, because any great keeper who finds himself on the bench will request a move to a club that plays him regularly. It's not like the pre-Bosman days where players will happily sit on the bench for years (well, not unless you're Steve Harper, and I didn't think he was a great keeper when he played for us anyway). Footballers hold all the cards, and if they have the talent to match their ambition, pretty much control their own destiny.

Clubs will have one great keeper, and one ordinary to mediocre one who might do a job occasionally if called upon but will never be up to the standard of the first choice. The only time this might not happen is in the case of a brilliant young keeper coming through the ranks. And in that case, you won't know he's brilliant until you play him. Then another club will try and sign him anyway. If you never, ever play that keeper (ie in cup/less important league games), then he'll ask to leave and you're back to square one.

We are simply not going to get someone of Kuszczak's standard as a reserve.

I agree with you about not being able to have two great keepers. The point I was trying to make was that you should always play your best GK unless he is injured or out of form.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here