Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can see Houghton Quitting before next season......

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have nothing against Hughton but was not over enamoured by getting him in as manager. After Gus every manager has been a little slide further down the ability scale, we have been on a mission to become "Ordinary " over the last 3 seasons and Hughton has maintained that descent.[/QUOT

I think we gave found a manager who will do as he is told and not cause waves.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Hughton wouldn't have taken the job without some sort assurance of support from Tony Bloom for recruitment in the summer. Even the Sky commentators were saying that at the start of the evening.

His current selection policy seems to be giving him a chance to have a look at the squad.

...and come to the same conclusion as the rest of us - that there's only about half a dozen players worth keeping.

Tony really needs to dig deep this Summer and the scouting staff unearth some real gems or else we're going to come up well short on quality players again next season. A major major rebuild is needed due to the negligence on signings this season.

D

Deleted member 2719

I will say ever since the hughton chap started there has been much more room in the stadium.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I can see Bloom not investing any more in players than we did this season but I think Hughton is just glad to have a job, so I doubt he'll walk.Not sure he's in big demand.

Totally! TB will provide a decentish enough budget but I'm not sure if Hughton will make the most of it or that he will wring the very best performances out of what he's got.

He was about as good as we could get at the time but if he doesn't make this work he could well disappear into oblivion

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
No chance, he will not want (another if you believe the Norwich fans) failure on his hands at his age.
Big job on his hands though, we seem to have gone backwards recently

You think so?? Only recently?...........

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Will he be here long enough for everybody to figure out how to spell his name correctly?

That's why Sami Hyypia had to go.

was on the bus from Park and Ride in one of his first games, and the woman I was next to was Irish, called him one of their own, but kept calling him Houghton, wondered if she was confusing him with Ray, them both being from true Irish stock !!

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
There is no way Hughton will walk - if he did it'll be the end of his managerial career. I still trust in him but put it this way - we didn't have to fight to get to the front of a long queue to get him in December, did we?

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Not sure if he can spot a good player. look at best, look at the benchwarming loanees.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Another thing for the Hughton doubters: Is it not fair to say that he has almost completed the first stage of his remit, which was to keep us in the Championship? We were only out of the bottom 3 on GD when he joined and only 3 points ahead of 2nd bottom. With a similar squad, we've since picked up 22 points in 17 games that sees us 9 points clear (for now) and that will most likely be enough.

Time to be optimistic that TB will back him in the Summer window. The signing of Kayal shows that he knows how to spot a good player.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Shit happens. As long as we stay up he has done his job (& not very well). Maybe we can find a better than average manager. Everyone's a winner

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
There is no way he can sell and get his money back. Even if we were promoted, the club would not be worth the £200 million he's invested.

Didn't Palace make a £23m profit last year? What would be the capital value of a company with high quality fixed assets and annual profits of £20m plus?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I can see Bloom not investing any more in players than we did this season but I think Hughton is just glad to have a job, so I doubt he'll walk.Not sure he's in big demand.

Wasn't he out of work for 18 months prior to us? You're probably correct.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
There is no way he can sell and get his money back. Even if we were promoted, the club would not be worth the £200 million he's invested.

Didn't Palace make a £23m profit last year? What would be the capital value of a company with high quality fixed assets and annual profits of £20m plus?

Annual profits of £20m would probably equate to a value of £80m for a normal business; however, the realistic potential for relegation every year would reduce that. Difficult to put a value on the Amex as it has limited use; it's not going to bring the value up to £200m.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here