Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can anyone tell me...

Fridge Man

Aug 31, 2003
Burgess Hill
Who it is who makes the parking restrictions around Withdean and who closes tongdean lane and eldred avenue on match days. Also who closes off the withdean nature reserve.

Is it the council or the club?

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
only the council can close roads! Although I think the parking attenants are employed by the club.

These restrictions are laid down by the Council as a condition of the planning permission that was granted to allow Withdean to be used as the Albion's stadium.

The Council also required the Albion to sign an agreement that makes the football club responsible for enforcing the restrictions.

If they are not enforced properly, the Club have to make a penalty payment to the Council - and, in the worst case scenario, permission to use Withdean could be withdrawn.

A small number of local NIMBYs, of course, keep their beady eyes on what is happening, and would like nothing better than to see the arrangement terminated.

Fridge Man

Aug 31, 2003
Burgess Hill
Cheers for that guys, its for my a level coursework

Last edited:

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
That's bascally the long winded version of what I said ;)

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Lord B - Do the official road closures include stopping pedestrians from using Station Road to get to the ground from Preston Park station? The 'way to Withdean' leaflet makes no reference to this road but there are stewards with 'No access to Withdean Stadium' signs at the entrance to this, the most direct route from station to ground. They are studiously ignored by about 99% of those getting off the train, unless it's rained heavily.

By using this route are we giving the NIMBYs possible ammo to get us out of Withdean? If so, why do the police only ever stop us going down there so that they can use it to send away fans to the ground that way?

I'm not sure of the precise details. But I think there is some sort of official restriction that prevents Station Road being used for pedestrian action to and from the ground.

This will take the form of a requirement that the Club's stewards direct people to use another route. If the police choose to over-ride this and allow (or direct) visiting supporters to use this route, it won't be a contravention of any condition imposed on the Football Club.

Fridge Man

Aug 31, 2003
Burgess Hill
One more thing guys..

Do u know how long the road closures last for on match day eg 1 O'clock till 6 O'clock

The Mill Road closure lasts until two hours after the final whistle.

In practice, most road closures will be lifted once things have quietened down. In the case of Mill Road, that means when the last parked car has left (or has been towed away). Some of the other closures probably don't last much longer than 30/45 minutes after the end of the game.

The official hours for Saturday matches are:-

Mill Road, Brighton
Road closed for football at Withdean
11:00 hrs to 19:00 hrs

Tongdean Lane, Brighton
Part of road closed for football at Withdean
14:00 hrs to 17:30 hrs

Withdean Road, Brighton
Part of road closed for football at Withdean
14:00 hrs to 17.30 hrs

(from a City Council press release)

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Theatre of Trees said:
I think Station Road (or Snakey Lane) is actually a private road so restrictions will be enforced.

Sorry to go on about this but it has always confused me. The roadsign says Station Road, the map says Station Road so why is it referred to as Snakey Lane, if indeed this is the road referred to? Also there is no sign anywhere along the route that indicates that it is a private road. This particular restriction has always puzzled me.

Fridge Man

Aug 31, 2003
Burgess Hill
why is mill road closed thats nowhere near the ground? Is that where the park and ride is or something or does it just stop people going the back way into Withdean

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here