Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can anyone remember the shops in the old Churchill Square?

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Anyone recognise the location in the picture?

file0001.jpg

Lewes Road tram (now the bus) depot just south of Preston Barracks. ( Brighton Tram 53 Society - BCT History )

I have posted this several times but have not yet had an answer - what was the name of the shop on the LHS as you entered - downstairs was records but upstairs was toys and models - I am sure it became HMV. I have seen several mentions of Beatties but I thought their shop was over on the Dyke Road corner on the opposite side to the arcade that has (had?) Gamleys in it?

Aug 21, 2011
I have posted this several times but have not yet had an answer - what was the name of the shop on the LHS as you entered - downstairs was records but upstairs was toys and models - I am sure it became HMV. I have seen several mentions of Beatties but I thought their shop was over on the Dyke Road corner on the opposite side to the arcade that has (had?) Gamleys in it?

Sorry cant answer your question but can agree that beatties was opposite IMPERIAL ARCADE, I think where Pizza Hut is.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Had a girlfriend in high school who lived for laura ashley and habitat... while I went into HMV and met celebrities ( ok, met Chritopher Timothy there ONCE)

Had a girlfriend in high school who lived for laura ashley and habitat... while I went into HMV and met celebrities ( ok, met Chritopher Timothy there ONCE)
I had a friend who was manager of Habitat in its early days in Brighton, long before it became a huge empire. Terence and Caroline Conran were always popping in to see how things were going.

spellfast

Jul 14, 2011
Stone Cross
Model Shop

Does sound familiar. Still there as a poncy model shop. Modelzone.

The Model Aerodrome was at the end of Cranbourne Street and Beatties was in Churchill Square itself.

Last edited:

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
I guess that's the coffee shop a few people referred too, what was the name again?

enhanced-buzz-4731-1376991056-4.jpg

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Wasn't it called the Solarium?

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
Was there a tie shop?

Tie Rack was on the outside, where the pie shop is now- opposite WHSmith.

I recall going for a job at office angels, who were upstairs in the spaceship thing, on main concourse.. Fosters(?) clothes shop around the back, about where the jewellers are now inside the new CS.

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
I remember being in the old Churchill square once when the Red Arrows were doing Brighton - it was quite scary the noise was deafening. It was the year one of them flew too low, hit the top of a boat mast and had to ditch in the sea.

Ceej

Feb 1, 2013
Manchester
Did you use to skate the concrete bowl wall that was over the wall behind the Lamb & Flag pub ?

Yes. A jump up and grab scramble over the wall with the small black railings on top of it past Bullock's the butcher at the top of Cranbourne Street. Skate the bowl for a while then down past Family Fun at the bottom of West Street to grab the spare pennies (!) from the "tilt" ledge on the Avalanche machine then on to the ramp between there and the West Pier. Happy Days :lolol:

By the way, what was the name of the shop at the back of Churchill Square past the Habitat that used to sell clock radios and other "modern stuff". Mini TVs too. I used to stare in that shop window for ages. Ha ha.:rock:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here