Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Can anyone recommend a good property solicitor in Brighton?

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
I'm probably going to be buying in the next little while so the above thread has been helpful.

Before I start phoning solicitors, does anyone have any advice about what would be a reasonable solicitor's fee for a straightforward purchase ?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
THats the numbers I've been quoted also, am dealing with an estate and using Robert Simon in Shoreham. ST holder Of many years.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Don’t necessarily go with the cheapest though. I’d use the price above as a guide to not being ripped off. If you can find a recommendation around that price go with it. Property is a stressful enough business without adding a lousy solicitor into the mix. If anything a good solicitor might be helpful.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
We used Bennett Oakley in Burgess Hill and no real issues. They were good at getting back to us after enquiries and pretty much everything could be handled over email. Only went there once in the whole process, to drop off some papers.

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
Don’t necessarily go with the cheapest though. I’d use the price above as a guide to not being ripped off. If you can find a recommendation around that price go with it. Property is a stressful enough business without adding a lousy solicitor into the mix. If anything a good solicitor might be helpful.
Absolutely ! Going with a recommendation at about the right price is my intent. Through this whole thread Dean Wilson have had four recommendations and no negatives. But I am quite swayed towards Albion STHs........

Bod

Dec 8, 2015
We used Bennett Oakley in Burgess Hill and no real issues. They were good at getting back to us after enquiries and pretty much everything could be handled over email. Only went there once in the whole process, to drop off some papers.
Seconded. You will also be allocated a dedicated solicitor.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
I used her a few years ago. After my (now) ex-wife and I seperated, we did at least come to an amiccable agreement that I could stay in the house and buy out her share for a very reasonable price (there were reasons for this, taking into account our financial contributions towards paying off the mortgage while we were together - I'd pais all the repayments, and used my entire pension lump sum to finally pay it off).

Jane Cole, engaged by me to handle the conveyancing, and therefore acting for me nevertheless wrote to my wife to tell her she could take me for more money, and even when told by my wife that the arrangement was agreed and satisfactory, she still didn't seem happy - my solicitor, supposedly acting for me, still felt impelled to go back to the wife to check was she really, really sure she didn't want to rinse me some more? Instead of just sending back the signed documents, IIRC the wife finished up writing to her to confirm in writing that she didn't want my solicitor to to get more money from me!

Heaven help me if my then wife and I hadn't agreed the terms amiccably!

If the events were as you say, which would be very surprising, however I am not suggesting they were not, then that is a breach of the SRA regulations (code of conduct for firms and for solicitors). You can report a breach of the code directly to the sra. You can also raise a complaint with the firm, if your not happy with the response you can escalate to the legal ombudsman.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
One thing I will say is never ever ever use a solicitor recommended by the agent especially if your the buyer. Agents act for the seller and the solicitor will likely pay a kick back to the agent.

One classic way of getting a solicitor that doesn't have your best interests at heart.

It makes my blood boil and I have seen so many buyers fall foul of the trap believing the garbage sales lines the agents spin them.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
I’ve used Trossards previously, based near to Sussex University with a sub office in Lancing. They seemed good at the time but without warning they just upped sticks and moved to apparently a bigger premises in London and just dumped their loyal local clients. Not impressed tbh, I’m hoping to hear that their new venture falls flat (no pun intended) on its face.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If the events were as you say, which would be very surprising, however I am not suggesting they were not, then that is a breach of the SRA regulations (code of conduct for firms and for solicitors). You can report a breach of the code directly to the sra. You can also raise a complaint with the firm, if your not happy with the response you can escalate to the legal ombudsman.
As you say, it was very surprising - we were surprised! I'm sure I could have taken it further. Fortunately my ex competely ignored her advice (and also, like me, wandered wtf she was playing at) and the deal went through as we had previously agreed - all her job was to do the conveyancing, and that's all we allowed her to do (not for want of trying though!)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here