Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Can anyone recommend a good property solicitor in Brighton?

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
I've used Mayo Wynne Baxter and Lewis Denley before and found both to be quite tedious to deal with. Each time things took way longer and were made more complex by constantly having to deal with different people within the company, rather than just one person who was on top of things resulting in multiple crossed wires, needless delays and mistakes.

I've done some online research and Sherwood Solicitors seem to be the stand-out ones in town, but unfortunately, they're not taking on any more work at the moment.

Can anyone recommend a good, small local firm?

Cheers!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
There is absolutely zero concept of customer service with property solicitors , go with whoever is localish and reasonable price

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
We worked with Richard Woodley at Engleharts for our flat sale / house purchase:

Nice bloke, got the job done which was tricky as it was lockdown and then the stamp duty deadline and the poor sod caught COVID in the middle of it all.

Albion fan too.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Dean Wilson LLP conveyed my property - Annie Fitzpatrick and Siobhan Cox 01273 249 200 - based at 7 Dials

I found them to be very thorough and reliable. You have to push all solicitors to get a move on but they were not bad at all (much faster than either of the other two firms on each side of the chain.)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Dean Wilson LLP conveyed my property - Annie Fitzpatrick and Siobhan Cox 01273 249 200 - based at 7 Dials

I found them to be very thorough and reliable. You have to push all solicitors to get a move on but they were not bad at all (much faster than either of the other two firms on each side of the chain.)
I second Dean Wilson LLP. I have used them numerous times for a variety of property related issues; I wouldn’t use anyone else.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Yeah I'd recommend Dean Wilson LLP, we used them and recommended to others and they were fine.

And I'd always recommend David and David estate agents but you may be past that point

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I've used Jane Cole, owner of Sussex Law here in Patcham several times. All good.

http://sussexlawsolicitors.com/

However, expecting a single point of contact may be aiming a bit high.
I used her a few years ago. After my (now) ex-wife and I seperated, we did at least come to an amiccable agreement that I could stay in the house and buy out her share for a very reasonable price (there were reasons for this, taking into account our financial contributions towards paying off the mortgage while we were together - I'd pais all the repayments, and used my entire pension lump sum to finally pay it off).

Jane Cole, engaged by me to handle the conveyancing, and therefore acting for me nevertheless wrote to my wife to tell her she could take me for more money, and even when told by my wife that the arrangement was agreed and satisfactory, she still didn't seem happy - my solicitor, supposedly acting for me, still felt impelled to go back to the wife to check was she really, really sure she didn't want to rinse me some more? Instead of just sending back the signed documents, IIRC the wife finished up writing to her to confirm in writing that she didn't want my solicitor to to get more money from me!

Heaven help me if my then wife and I hadn't agreed the terms amiccably!

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I used her a few years ago. After my (now) ex-wife and I seperated, we did at least come to an amiccable agreement that I could stay in the house and buy out her share for a very reasonable price (there were reasons for this, taking into account our financial contributions towards paying off the mortgage while we were together - I'd pais all the repayments, and used my entire pension lump sum to finally pay it off).

Jane Cole, engaged by me to handle the conveyancing, and therefore acting for me nevertheless wrote to my wife to tell her she could take me for more money, and even when told by my wife that the arrangement was agreed and satisfactory, she still didn't seem happy - my solicitor, supposedly acting for me, still felt impelled to go back to the wife to check was she really, really sure she didn't want to rinse me some more? Instead of just sending back the signed documents, IIRC the wife finished up writing to her to confirm in writing that she didn't want my solicitor to to get more money from me!

That's an interesting one!

My initial reaction was real surprise. But I then ran it past my wife (who also knows the solicitor) and she had a different perspective:

We don't know the sums involved, and perhaps Jane was alerted by the very reasonable price, and was being thorough and professional in checking (and getting it in writing) that your (now) ex-wife was happy with the arrangement, and there was no coercion. I'm not suggesting for a moment, that there was anything untoward, just that the solicitor was covering her rear. A solicitor friend of my sister was once (mistakenly) involved in a conveyancing fraud, and came close to being struck off. They have to be really, really careful.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I've used Jane Cole, owner of Sussex Law here in Patcham several times. All good.

http://sussexlawsolicitors.com/

However, expecting a single point of contact may be aiming a bit high.
I've used Jane Cole over the years and generally thought her service was OK but did gradually get worse. I'm currently selling four properties and her service has been dire - so much so I've removed two of the sales from her when they feel through. If the other two fall through I will remove those from her as well.

She's often away and her locum is generally unavailable ( and that's when she bothers to put the locums details in her Out of Office ). I've had several queries on these sales and I often have to chase - and sometimes she says "please could you re-send your question as I can't find it". The selling estate agent almost cheered when I told them I was changing solicitor for two of the properties.

I'm now using Goodlaw - https://www.goodlawsolicitors.co.uk/ - and they seem pretty good. That said, I'm not the biggest fan of property solicitors anyway.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I've used Jane Cole over the years and generally thought her service was OK but did gradually get worse. I'm currently selling four properties and her service has been dire - so much so I've removed two of the sales from her when they feel through. If the other two fall through I will remove those from her as well.

She's often away and her locum is generally unavailable ( and that's when she bothers to put the locums details in her Out of Office ). I've had several queries on these sales and I often have to chase - and sometimes she says "please could you re-send your question as I can't find it". The selling estate agent almost cheered when I told them I was changing solicitor for two of the properties.

I'm now using Goodlaw - https://www.goodlawsolicitors.co.uk/ - and they seem pretty good. That said, I'm not the biggest fan of property solicitors anyway.
I suspect she has taken a step back since she and her husband (the office manager) got Covid at the height of the pandemic.

But you are the second person on here with a different opinion than mine. I'll have a house to sell in the next tax year and you've got me thinking.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
From the opposite side, we sold a house last year and they used Nigel Brazier at GWCA Lancing and found him on the ball and dealt with matters fairly quickly. For a solicitor that is.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
This might be the time and the place to remind those selling residential property (eg BTLs, Investment properties etc) that you MUST file a Capital Gains Tax Return AND pay any CGT due within 60 days of the completion date.

These arrangements do NOT apply to the sale of a property that has been your main residence.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
From the opposite side, we sold a house last year and they used Nigel Brazier at GWCA Lancing and found him on the ball and dealt with matters fairly quickly. For a solicitor that is.
He was a shocker in my last property sale, needed constantly chasing and difficult to get hold of. Chain nearly collapsed due to his lack of proactiveness

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Based in Eastbourne but I have used Stephen Rimmer a couple of times over the past year once for a residential sale in Hove and another time for commercial lease renewal.
Roy Bridge dealt with the residential sale and Stephan Banks with the commercial lease renewal. Both seemed good.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

Sounds like a man hater

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018

assuming you asked her why she engaged with your ex wife in this manner when not instructed to do so? Bizarre behaviour and I wonder a liability event had your ex wife taken her unsolicited advice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here