Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Can Anyone Explain this Point?

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
It is strange. I feel like palace have had a much better season. They were very unlucky at the beginning of the season especially when we mugged them at selhurst. They are also in the fa cup semis....

In our last 7 games we haven't particularly been unlucky, just plain crap.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just human thickness and inability to see the wider picture. When you win people think you're always going to win and that it will just get better and when you lose people think you're always going to lose and that it will just get worse. Nothing new.

This.

I have always maintained that football is two things: a vehicle for a bit of local pride and snook-cocking (especially at one's nearer neighbours) that can morph into a real community fee in times of duress (e.g., during our dark days) and..........panto!

Boo! Man on! "You're sh1t, and you know you are". Who's the W&nker in the black?

There is too much intellectualizing about football these days. Leave that to the coaches and owners. XG is important for them and their attempts to get an edge over an opposition using data (which is absolutely sensible). I don't give a flying **** about it.

And there are far too many knowall fans who think they could do a better job than the owner, the CEO and, yes, sometimes even the players :lolol:

Humans are a funny old lot.

On the plus side, this is football so, at the end of the day, none of it matters (except to those who earn a living from it).

(Perhaps I'm not ideally suited to a football forum where partizanship and howling-at-the-moonery are de rigueur, but, sorry, I enjoy it. Some lovely, funny and kind folk on NSC, and even some amusing and interesting comment on football and The Albion from time to time. However other opinions are available :wink:)

Last edited:

boik

It is strange. I feel like palace have had a much better season. They were very unlucky at the beginning of the season especially when we mugged them at selhurst. They are also in the fa cup semis....

We didn't mug them at Selhurst. Their fans were excited because they played better then they had against us for ages and were 1-0 up. We were disappointed because we didn't play as well as we had been and were 0-1 down, but we had more possession than them, more shots on target and won more tackles. It was only the lateness of our goal that makes people assume that we got something we didn't deserve.

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville

Recency bias. Just as a 1-1 draw seems better if you come from behind to take the point, it feels depressing if you had the lead but couldn't keep it. So Palace's season feels positive because they started badly but improved while Albion's feels disappointing because we started well but fell away. Also Palace used to be a one-man team but are now a two-man team although one of the two isn't their player.

Actually, that's harsh. Olise and Eze are two gambles on Championship players that look to have paid off, while our gamble on Maupay keeps on being a source of frustration. Palace also have more striker options whereas we just have Maupay and Welbeck. That said, the amount that Palace pay in wages is eye-watering, and you wouldn't really say that Benteke or Edouard are justifying theirs.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Recency bias. Just as a 1-1 draw seems better if you come from behind to take the point, it feels depressing if you had the lead but couldn't keep it. So Palace's season feels positive because they started badly but improved while Albion's feels disappointing because we started well but fell away. Also Palace used to be a one-man team but are now a two-man team although one of the two isn't their player.

Actually, that's harsh. Olise and Eze are two gambles on Championship players that look to have paid off, while our gamble on Maupay keeps on being a source of frustration. Palace also have more striker options whereas we just have Maupay and Welbeck. That said, the amount that Palace pay in wages is eye-watering, and you wouldn't really say that Benteke or Edouard are justifying theirs.

In fairness he has scored 2 more than Trossard.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Earlier this season Brighton were on fire and many football fans, including myself, watched some brilliant football being played by your team. It may hurt to say it but you deserved your high place in the league. Your manager was being eyed up by bigger clubs and deservedly so.

On the other hand Palace were favourites to be relegated and for two reasons, the need to replace the bulk of our ageing squad and the questionable hiring of a manager who hadn’t exactly set the world on fire, both being valid concerns.
I
As of yesterday, Viera’s palace are now seen in the media as an exciting bunch of skillfull youngsters, whilst the pundits are all saying Brighton are in a rut and are desperate for a striker. Our fans are excited about this season and on here it’s all doom and gloom.

Yet both teams have won and drawn exactly the same number of times and you’ve only lost one more because we’ve got a game in hand. Chances are, Palace won’t win on Monday at Arsenal, so our record after 30 games will be exactly the same as yours bar goal difference.

Football fans are weird. :)

You’ve just got to hope for him that he’s gone to the right ground :moo:

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Earlier this season Brighton were on fire and many football fans, including myself, watched some brilliant football being played by your team. It may hurt to say it but you deserved your high place in the league. Your manager was being eyed up by bigger clubs and deservedly so.

On the other hand Palace were favourites to be relegated and for two reasons, the need to replace the bulk of our ageing squad and the questionable hiring of a manager who hadn’t exactly set the world on fire, both being valid concerns.
I
As of yesterday, Viera’s palace are now seen in the media as an exciting bunch of skillfull youngsters, whilst the pundits are all saying Brighton are in a rut and are desperate for a striker. Our fans are excited about this season and on here it’s all doom and gloom.

Yet both teams have won and drawn exactly the same number of times and you’ve only lost one more because we’ve got a game in hand. Chances are, Palace won’t win on Monday at Arsenal, so our record after 30 games will be exactly the same as yours bar goal difference.

Football fans are weird. :)

Basically our players have over achieved in the first half of the season and Palace's have been under achieving for quite some time. Palace have arguably the better individual players but it's only Vieira that's been able to get them playing a tune. If Brighton had had the likes of Eze, Gallagher, Ayew, Kouyate, (f*ck Zaha) and even Benteke, Potter would have Brighton comfortably in the top 10 maybe even top 7.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
This.

Also, context.

Such as the spread of results. Win ten, draw ten, then lose ten, then after game 30 you're going to feel quite down. Lose ten, draw ten, then win ten and you're going to be in a very positive place. Our run isn't too much different from the former - we won 4 of our first 5 league games. This was followed by drawing three in a row four times (first three interspersed with losses, last one bookeneded with a couple of wins), and then recently had a run of 6 losses.
Palace's longest losing streak is three in a row (once), their longest drawing run is 4 in a row (once). Outside of that, their wins, draws and losses are pretty evenly spread out across the year.

It's also a factor of who those results were against. Leeds are the only teams currently below you that have beaten Palace, villa may have been when theyr met, I'm not sure what the table was like. But every other loss they've suffered have been Chelsea, Liverpool, Man U, Tottenham. Those are 'expected' losses - they are all currently top 6, fighting for top 4. Brighton have lost to teams below them like Villa (twice! - although they are now above us), Burnley, Newcastle, and Everton. Palace also have wins against Man City and Tottenham, whereas our biggest win is against midtable Wolves.

Palace have also got an FA cup semi-final to look forward to, a run that has given them 4 more victories, so have combined league and cup 7 homes wins for the majority of their fans to enjoy, almost twice as many as the bulk of our fans have seen.

Am I the reason we've won these last two?!

You're all welcome!

larus

I’d like your non-furtive/hidden agenda view on my take:

1. Viera was only bedding in last summer, he’s good.

2. BBS and Holmesdale are full of moaners and pro/anti Parish warfare, player haters. Genuinely it’s given me great fun since the Pardew era. It’s only abated in the last 6 months due to Viera and Gallagher.

3. Gallagher is the difference. I can’t see Chelsea being mugs and loaning/selling him next season.

4. For 15 years it seems your owners relentlessly buy or borrow pace at FB, on the wing and up front **.

When they strayed from this, eg Number 9’s other than Muzza, it led to a string of transfer blunders costing eye watering fees and wages.

** This works, full stop. Especially allied with having about 10 managers in a row who play the counter attacking game. Pardew and FDB the stand out lemons.

I envied your counter attacking game over the years, we’re light years away from winning at the Emptihad or WHL.

5. But despite of all that, there was spiteful warfare on BBS and Holmesdale, due to the stacks of home losses and losing runs.

In summary - perhaps we’re more alike than anyone would admit?

Your view on all that, please.

:lolol:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
We sold Burn at the same time as Dunk and Webster got injured. Our defence had a massive hole blown through it. Dunk is now back and dominating games, and Webster will be back in shortly.

Potter has also hit upon a fantastic midfield with Mwepu, Bissouma and Caicedo providing muscle and energy in abundance.

We should now finish above Palace, good season though they are having.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
We sold Burn at the same time as Dunk and Webster got injured. Our defence had a massive hole blown through it. Dunk is now back and dominating games, and Webster will be back in shortly.

Potter has also hit upon a fantastic midfield with Mwepu, Bissouma and Caicedo providing muscle and energy in abundance.

Don't you just know they are going to win the FA Cup :ffsparr:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

This post was all going so well until the last sentence.
We're a little bit buoyant after claiming north London. But we've got six games to go. Palace have got seven. Nothing is set in stone. Let's try and enjoy it but, note, we will be without Bissouma for the next two games. Most on here think that's OK, because they're convinced he's on the beach with his big move in mind. I, on the other hand, think we'll miss him but, boy, do I enjoy Caicedo and Mwepu in midfield, and that's without mentioning Ali Mac.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
This post was all going so well until the last sentence.

We're a little bit buoyant after claiming north London. But we've got six games to go. Palace have got seven.

Blimey, it’s not that often we agree about a post. :)

I certainly wouldn’t call which of our respective clubs will finish on top at this point in the season.

As an aside, and in the spirit of the thread, we have, this season, both of our teams neck and neck for a top 10 finish!

We are now both clubs that have have the ability to disrupt the established the EPL cartel regularly, albeit playing different styles of entertaining football.

Long may it continue.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Blimey, it’s not that often we agree about a post. :)

I certainly wouldn’t call which of our respective clubs will finish on top at this point in the season.

As an aside, and in the spirit of the thread, we have, this season, both of our teams neck and neck for a top 10 finish!

We are now both clubs that have have the ability to disrupt the established the EPL cartel regularly, albeit playing different styles of entertaining football.

Long may it continue.

I usually agree with your posts. What have mine done to generate disagreement? :kiss:
I'd like you to win tomorrow. Nobody could back Chelsea currently. And Palace fans are far, far more pleasant than Chelsea fans -- whether they be of the old money, nouveau riche or salt of the earth variety.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here