Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can ANYONE explain the removal of PRINT AT HOME option...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
They have just commissioned a new system. They have a MAXIMUM of 30,500 tickets to process. The 'capacity planning' is not exactly difficult, is it??

Don't shoot the messenger.

If the club had any doubts on either their processes and/or the system itself to successfully perform c20k smartcard uploads then I'm glad they chose not to. P@H isn't a major issue for most, and most season ticket holders will have taken this option if they wanted to.

Do you mean charged by the credit card provider to the club or charged to the fan purchasing the ticket - I realise the second option was true as I printed at home, but surely MasterCard will charge BHAFC a percentage on my £32 it will pass onto the club.

Yes, but the club didn't charge fans buying tickets any sort of card-handling fee. I think we agree.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Yes, but the club didn't charge fans buying tickets any sort of card-handling fee. I think we agree.

Yes we do agree, my initial comment about the credit card fees was in answer to why the club charge a booking fee, its not just to cover postage and packing, I think we got on cross-purposes in the quotes.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I'm told that as the system is new, the club didn't want to take a chance with doing this for what would be a large volume of people. Apparently Derby have the same ticketing system as us and for the play-off game last May they also did the same - paper tickets for everyone. They now have confidence to load up to smart cards and we'll do the same when we're happy.

(I can't recall what was done for the low-volume Cheltenham game earlier this season)

If it was new for the Cheltenham game earlier in the season then its hardly new now considering that was 5 months ago or have we had yet another new system since then?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Maybe they have now realized that to have a successful print at home option you need a very high spec home printer or it doesn't work, so even more people having to visit the ticket office on match day to gain entry.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
(I can't recall what was done for the low-volume Cheltenham game earlier this season)

I don't think they offered STH the chance to buy their own seats did they? As you can't load random seats on to cards (only the fixed ST seat), it would have been paper tickets only, I guess.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I don't think they offered STH the chance to buy their own seats did they? As you can't load random seats on to cards (only the fixed ST seat), it would have been paper tickets only, I guess.

I was able to obtain my usual cheat for the Cheltenham game, but only because I got in quickly. You are right though as sections of the ground were not open for this game as ST holders in these areas obviously had to move,

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
New system that was not tested properly and implemented too early and now we are seeing the issues of this?

To a degree this is my take on it. Undoubtedly the testing was inadequate. People were finding production issues all day Friday from the absolute howler that [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] found, to the need to hard refresh Friends and Family (which then didn't associate or hold in memory the correct fan number so you then had to allocate owners separately) to some fairly comical error handling. And that's before the fact that clearly the SLAs for load testing the email system were either woeful or ignored.

However, there comes a point in any systems implementation where you have a choice (at least in any implementation that is going badly wrong, which this clearly was).

a) Abandon the whole thing, losing the money spent internally, starting off legal wranglings and leaving yourself needing to find another supplier who may be just as bad.
b) Put the system live "as is" with known issues that you can mitigate internally. Hope that these are all fixed by the first time it comes under serious usage
c) Continue to put back the implementation date until such point as certain conditions are met. With a (very) public facing client like the Albion and the fact that the ticket office redesign was already behind and recruitment on the pitch was being derided there may not have been much appetite for this at management level.

This is all my take on it from having spent a fair amount of time in the industry. However, if I was to have a cheeky tenner it would go on the fact that most of the development and testing will not have been done physically in the UK.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
I think that the long time delay between purchase payment confirmation and delivery of the pdf indicates a problem of converting the high number of tickets to pdf format. Whilst we are led to believe we have a super new ticket system, there is probably the need for heavy manual intervention by masses of apprentices/ minimum wage clerks converting the ticket to a pdf and then emailing it. Alternatively the club's licence for Adobe Acrobat has expired.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I think that the long time delay between purchase payment confirmation and delivery of the pdf indicates a problem of converting the high number of tickets to pdf format. Whilst we are led to believe we have a super new ticket system, there is probably the need for heavy manual intervention by masses of apprentices/ minimum wage clerks converting the ticket to a pdf and then emailing it. Alternatively the club's licence for Adobe Acrobat has expired.

It is an entirely predictable number though... they only have a maximum of 30,500 tickets to process.

I'm sorry but this is an utter #SHAMBLES. :nono:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It is an entirely predictable number though... they only have a maximum of 30,500 tickets to process.

I'm sorry but this is an utter #SHAMBLES. :nono:

Maximum of 23,000, in this manner. The 4,400 Arsenal tickets will be printed ones sent in one big batch, and just over 3,000 1901 club members have their seat added to their smart card...

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Maximum of 23,000, in this manner. The 4,400 Arsenal tickets will be printed ones sent in one big batch, and just over 3,000 1901 club members have their seat added to their smart card...

Indeed... I was being generous. As #PUZZLING as it is #SHAMBOLIC, that something so clearly defined and controllable could be screwed up to comprehensively. Impressive!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

It was paper tickets as only the East and West lower were open.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Yep, excellent impression of the ticketing software.

I'm looking forward to the binfest on Thursday when Cardiff away AND Sheffield Wednesday away are released for sale at the same time non-STH will be clamouring for Arse tickets

At least with away tickets, they ONLY have the option to post them out. Surely they can't SCREW that up?

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Is it becaue they've decided to limit the number of print at home tickets to a specific percentage (now reached), so as to limit the hold-ups at the turnstyles because of poorly printed bar-codes that don't scan?

I printed at home for the Millwall match.

When I got to the gate, I was told the print was too small for the scanner to read, and I had to go to the ticket office to get a 'proper' ticket.

There must be an explanation for this - why don't they just give it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here