Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can any techie heads help Pleeease? :-)

This afternoon I installed Windows service pack two. Since then, I've been unable to enable my Norton auto protect. Everytime I check the godam box and click "ok" it remains showing off. When I go back to the options box, it's gone back to being unchecked There's no sign of Norton in the lower tray either. I can access Norton and do a manual scan via the desktop ikon though....I'm confused....Come on boyz n girlz...who's got the answer?? ???

larus

Don't know the answer, but I know that a lot of companies have held off SP2 due to 'funnies' (that's a technical term, in case you're confused :lolol: ).

Have you searched on the Norton site at all, or on Google for XP SP2 NORTON etc.? That may help.

Mr Fridge

Oct 13, 2004
1.SP2 contains its own firewall and this may be interfering with the system swithc them off and see what happens.

2. It may be a faulty update of the virus protection update files.

Go to
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/download.html
and download the intelligent updater to update Norton.

Try this one first.

If that's no good then try switch off the windows firewall.
You should get a little shield in the tray down on your taskbar sort of windowsy coulred one.

If not go to start/control panel windows security centre

Mr Fridge said:
1.SP2 contains its own firewall and this may be interfering with the system swithc them off and see what happens.

2. It may be a faulty update of the virus protection update files.

Go to
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/download.html
and download the intelligent updater to update Norton.

Try this one first.

If that's no good then try switch off the windows firewall.
You should get a little shield in the tray down on your taskbar sort of windowsy coulred one.

If not go to start/control panel windows security centre

I've tried both the above plus I had a look around the Symantec site. No luck! :-( When I ran a check from Symantic's site on what protection I had, it showed me as being protected though. The auto protect is still showing as being off. Everytime I log on I get a message from the security centre ikon on the bottom taskbar saying " Norton is installed, but it's status is unknown".....Any more idea's folks? :)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
hate to say it, the obvious solution is to not install SP2...

Mr Fridge

Oct 13, 2004
Ok lets find out if its SP2 that's at fault in the first place and not soemthing else.

Use system restore to go back to a time you know it did work (you will again need to use intelligent updater to update norton as it will be confused and will have a warning sign-up on its sheild.) but IU suhould get rid of that.

start/all progs/access/system tools/system restore.

Choose a date where you know it worked and restore.

If after applying IU after the restore it still does not work then re do above but choose un do last update to reinstall sp 2.

If this does not work the only option left is to uninstall the corrupt version of Norton (completely including deleting any system files) and reinstall it.

Many thanks to Mr Fridge and others for their assistance. After many hours of tearing my hair out and cursing, I've finally cracked it! Ticking two boxes in the system config utility has sorted the problem! And for good measure I've also dumped the crock of crap that is XP service pack two.

Am I boring you?...Do you give a toss?....Didn't think so. :) Time to attack a bottle of merlot in celebration!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Can anybody help a computer novice.

I wrote a number of letters this afternoon and saved them on a floppy disc. Went to look at one this evening and it said 'Drive A cannot be accessed as the disc has not be formated.

Can I open this disc to read and save the letters before formatting the disc. Have tried opening it through My Computer that doesnt work either.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mr Fridge

Oct 13, 2004
BensGrandad said:
Can anybody help a computer novice.

I wrote a number of letters this afternoon and saved them on a floppy disc. Went to look at one this evening and it said 'Drive A cannot be accessed as the disc has not be formated.

Can I open this disc to read and save the letters before formatting the disc. Have tried opening it through My Computer that doesnt work either.

Any help would be appreciated.

No, try it on another computer first (opening the letters) if not then all is lost on that disk.

Never just back-up in one place always back-up in more than 1.

Besides you should not be using floppy as the main back-up tool any more. Flash drives are bigger, cheaper and more reliable and smaller in physical size than a floppy disk let alone the 177 disks a single 256mb flash drive replaces.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Hi BensGrandad,
Why don't you get a GMail account and use that as a backup device? It's like having a new 1gb hard drive attached and if you right click on a file and choose "Send To" the GMail account will be available to upload to. Dead easy.

Publisher's Description:
GMail Drive creates a virtual filesystem on top of your Google GMail account and enables you to save and retrieve files stored on your GMail account directly from inside Windows Explorer. GMail Drive literally adds a new drive to your computer under the My Computer folder, where you can create new folders, copy and drag'n'drop files to.

http://fileforum.betanews.com/sendfile/1097807577/1/gmailfs_102.zip

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here