Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Campervan thingie - help pls!

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Cheers - a lot to go do some research about. :)
We got our van from Sussex Campervans up near Horsham. They build vans to order. I'm not suggesting going there specifically, but there are quite a few companies that re happy to talk you through the options and process.

Technology is also moving on, and there are EV based vans now available, although still with a relatively limited number of base vans to work with, and most vans will come with solar and lithium / lifepo4 batteries as standard.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
We have just had an addition to the family and my partner mentioned that she'd quite like to buy a camper van/mobile home (not a caravan) so that we can do long weekends/a week (or maybe 2?) in the UK and near continent with the little one, instead of braving airports and planes with a screaming child. Like an idiot, I said "yes, that sounds like a good idea" - As mitigation, I have only the fact that the perpetual extreme tiredness has fuddled my rationality.

One small problem. I know nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing about said vehicles. Thinking about the various things I need to research: how the f do I get power to it? how do we cook? how do we shower? what the f do I do with shit and piss? what facilities do I look for on a site that we might visit? is it legal to just park it anywhere? which models are reliable? As I said I know nothing about any of this. The only thing I do know is that it'll need to sleep 3, in two beds (and for a couple of years, it'll need to be able to sleep a baby/toddler).

I'm sure that some of you do know stuff. Any tips welcome...

Whilst totally not what your partner will want to hear but travelling with a baby/toddler is a doddle. Ditch the camper van and go on holiday outside of high season while you can. When your little one(s) get to school age is the time for a camper in my opinion.

Last edited:

Bansko Seagull

Bansko Seagull
May 6, 2009
Worthing, West Sussex
We bought a 6 berth Chausson Flash 03 in 2019 and have never looked back. It has proved brilliant for away games as we build little holidays around them. Initially we only stayed on campsites but there are various apps which show pubs and car parks which allow overnight stays and we tend to now do this. Last summer we took the ferry across to the Hook of Holland and drove to the north of Denmark and across to Stockholm. This year we have already done Everton and Stoke away and are planning a trip across to Poland this summer before our daughter takes it to a festival.
You need to consider where you can store it and make sure it is within legal limits for driving on a standard driving licence. There is a small camper van place at Plummers Plain and the owner gave us great advice when we were looking and we always go there for our habitation checks and any repairs.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
We bought a 6 berth Chausson Flash 03 in 2019 and have never looked back. It has proved brilliant for away games as we build little holidays around them. Initially we only stayed on campsites but there are various apps which show pubs and car parks which allow overnight stays and we tend to now do this. Last summer we took the ferry across to the Hook of Holland and drove to the north of Denmark and across to Stockholm. This year we have already done Everton and Stoke away and are planning a trip across to Poland this summer before our daughter takes it to a festival.
You need to consider where you can store it and make sure it is within legal limits for driving on a standard driving licence. There is a small camper van place at Plummers Plain and the owner gave us great advice when we were looking and we always go there for our habitation checks and any repairs.
That's a nice van. We spend August bank holiday most years down at West Bay with Bournemouth & Poole dive club and some of the members there have beautiful vans, all in the 80k+ new though. Not what I'd like to be driving down a narrow road in Western Ireland or Cornwall.

Perfect for them, as they're all pretty much retired and can use the van frequently enough to get the value as you certainly have it would seem.

Once I retire I would like to do the Grand European tour with Mr Laz (she's my wife now) in a slightly larger 2 berth van, with a shower, fixed bed etc. I see so many accounts of trips all over the continent, and it really appeals to me. I just need to get to retirement age with enough pension and health left to make it happen!

Aug 1, 2006
If I hadn't been sleep deprived due to parenting an 8-week old, I rather think I may have responded similarly...
I tried that and my wife bought one on ebay whilst I was at work. T25 Vw - was a pain in the arse but kept for 8 years and some really great memories so in the end she knew best as is so often the case. T25s don't depreciate btw, but they also are not worth v much. Get a water cooled one with good interior and a powerful engine. Westfalia best.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
We have just had an addition to the family and my partner mentioned that she'd quite like to buy a camper van/mobile home (not a caravan) so that we can do long weekends/a week (or maybe 2?) in the UK and near continent with the little one, instead of braving airports and planes with a screaming child. Like an idiot, I said "yes, that sounds like a good idea" - As mitigation, I have only the fact that the perpetual extreme tiredness has fuddled my rationality.

One small problem. I know nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing about said vehicles. Thinking about the various things I need to research: how the f do I get power to it? how do we cook? how do we shower? what the f do I do with shit and piss? what facilities do I look for on a site that we might visit? is it legal to just park it anywhere? which models are reliable? As I said I know nothing about any of this. The only thing I do know is that it'll need to sleep 3, in two beds (and for a couple of years, it'll need to be able to sleep a baby/toddler).

I'm sure that some of you do know stuff. Any tips welcome...
My mate has one and has one with a Euro 6 engine compliant for ULEZ, when it eventually spreads out to the M25 boundaries.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
That's a nice van. We spend August bank holiday most years down at West Bay with Bournemouth & Poole dive club and some of the members there have beautiful vans, all in the 80k+ new though. Not what I'd like to be driving down a narrow road in Western Ireland or Cornwall.

Perfect for them, as they're all pretty much retired and can use the van frequently enough to get the value as you certainly have it would seem.

Once I retire I would like to do the Grand European tour with Mr Laz (she's my wife now) in a slightly larger 2 berth van, with a shower, fixed bed etc. I see so many accounts of trips all over the continent, and it really appeals to me. I just need to get to retirement age with enough pension and health left to make it happen!
If you were in the market for one of these "...slightly larger 2 berth van, with a shower, fixed bed etc..." what would you be looking at? The very limited research I've done so far this afternoon points me to a VW Grand California as soemthing to look at. A shower and a proper-ish loo is pretty much a must (for me, not for her).

Though I may be trying the "£85k? that's a lot of B&B's you know" line later anyway.

AndyH

Mar 10, 2012
Out of interest looked up the model to see what it looked like - first one I saw on auto trader - very good with the number plate https://www.autotrader.co.uk/motorhome-details/202305197549270?advertising-location=at_motorhomes

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I won a Motorhome from a Pret A Manger scratch card …it said “WIN A BAGEL”.
Go Away GIF

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Whilst totally not what your partner will want to hear but travelling with a baby/toddler is a doddle. Ditch the camper van and go on holiday outside of high season while you can. When your little one(s) get to school age is the time for a camper in my opinion.

Is the answer. With two young kids, a nice estate you can pack everything in (even bikes with a rack if needed) and then choose hotels, B&Bs, Apartments etc along the way. When my kids were small I found these two saw me through

e2425c54959a900f59f201e411c7d9af_755106.jpg

Jaguar-XType_2008_Universals_162533936_1.jpg

but these days you have some great choices

ABT_RS6-LE_Presse-1.jpg

bestestates115.jpg

1_912998_sl.jpg

But if you don't fancy that awkward chat with her indoors and you're already sold on driving a van with a bucket to shit in :wink:

Last edited:

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
What's the fuel economy.like on that? Looks really spacious

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Fair comment.
With me I would be doing the driving, cleaning it etc etc. I prefer renting a cottage in the countryside for a holiday, with a shower. :smile:
A shower that doesn't work usually

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
A shower that doesn't work usually
Ha, ha funny you should say that.
Went to a holiday home 2 years back in the middle of the Kent countryside, the shower kept going hot and cold. I had a word with the property owner…..”how can I put this, the fancy looking shower is shite” :smile: He showed me the boiler (combi) the water was pumped from a spring.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here