Campaign to get Ding Dong the Witch is Dead to Number One

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
If you cover a students work in red pen it is rather overwhelming and demoralising which means they don't take any notice of any of it. If you highlight some key areas for that student to focus on then they are more likely to respond to the feedback given and their work will improve. If a child cannot write a coherent sentence their is little point in correcting their lack of correctly formed paragraphs. Perhaps this is what your friend was talking about? I would be very surprised if she wasn't allowed to make more than three corrections. It is more likely that she was asked to give the student three areas to work on that would most benefit their learning.

If I am wrong perhaps you could ask your 'friend' who told her she was not allowed to mark any more than 3 things wrong. Was it the headmaster? government initiative? Education department?

I would suggest that if some of those kids are teachers, MP's and running local government perhaps it was a successful initiative and should be reintroduced.

Yes, this.

It won't get through, though. She knows best. You might as well bang your head repeatedly against a brick wall.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
To be honest, given some of the stuff she posts in the early hours, i think she needs help from someone far more qualified than me or you.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I speak from experience when I say I had far more than 3 red marks on my English homework back in 1974 on a regular basis.

No you're wrong. TEACHERS WEREN'T ALLOWED TO DO THIS!!! Haven't you been taking any notice of [MENTION=14198]HovaGirl[/MENTION]?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I speak from experience when I say I had far more than 3 red marks on my English homework back in 1974 on a regular basis.

I can only assume that your teacher was a renegade maverick, a lone warrior for sanity and common-sense, unwilling to put up with that soft-bellied liberalism that blighted the education of millions of your peers. Count yourself lucky.

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
Compromise version of 'Ding Dong' to be sung by Leonard Cohen

12-04-13

A COMPROMISE has been reached to help Britain solve its Ding Dong the Witch is Dead problem.

Rub. Your eyes. Get out. Of bed.

With the BBC under right-wing pressure to ban the song, the broadcaster suggested a version sung by Leonard Cohen, the Canadian music poet.

A spokesman said: “The composers of ‘Ding Dong’ intended it to be triumphalist and optimistic. A witch was dead. A wicked witch.

“But while Margaret Thatcher left a divisive legacy, there is no evidence the Wicked Witch of the East took what she felt were the necessary though difficult steps to liberalise the Oz economy.

“She was just horrible and the Munchkins were right to dance around in the way they did.”

He added: “In order to reflect the true nature of Britain’s relationship with Lady Thatcher, a Leonard Cohen version would reflect great joy while at the same time being utterly depressing.

“A bit like The Saturdays doing First We Take Manhattan.”

The corporation said it could also offer a double speed version that would make Cohen sound like an old, wise Munchkin. Like the mayor, or the one with the glasses.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Compromise version of 'Ding Dong' to be sung by Leonard Cohen

12-04-13

A COMPROMISE has been reached to help Britain solve its Ding Dong the Witch is Dead problem.

Rub. Your eyes. Get out. Of bed.

With the BBC under right-wing pressure to ban the song, the broadcaster suggested a version sung by Leonard Cohen, the Canadian music poet.

A spokesman said: “The composers of ‘Ding Dong’ intended it to be triumphalist and optimistic. A witch was dead. A wicked witch.

“But while Margaret Thatcher left a divisive legacy, there is no evidence the Wicked Witch of the East took what she felt were the necessary though difficult steps to liberalise the Oz economy.

“She was just horrible and the Munchkins were right to dance around in the way they did.”

He added: “In order to reflect the true nature of Britain’s relationship with Lady Thatcher, a Leonard Cohen version would reflect great joy while at the same time being utterly depressing.

“A bit like The Saturdays doing First We Take Manhattan.”

The corporation said it could also offer a double speed version that would make Cohen sound like an old, wise Munchkin. Like the mayor, or the one with the glasses.

I would prefer it as a Cohen dirge to be honest. Sort of like "Suzanne"

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
If you cover a students (punctuation) work in red pen it is rather overwhelming and demoralising which means they don't take any notice of any of it. If you highlight some key areas for that student to focus on then they are more likely to respond to the feedback given and their work will improve. If a child cannot write a coherent sentence their (grammar) is little point in correcting their (grammar) lack of correctly formed paragraphs. Perhaps this is what your friend was talking about? I would be very surprised if she wasn't allowed to make more than three corrections. It is more likely that she was asked to give the student three areas to work on that would most benefit their learning.

If I am wrong perhaps you could ask your 'friend' who told her she was not allowed to mark any more than 3 things wrong. Was it the headmaster? government initiative? Education department?

I would suggest that if some of those kids are teachers, MP's (apostrophe?) and running local government perhaps it was a successful initiative and should be reintroduced.

See me!

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012

Your mission, should you choose to accept, is to do this on every thread. There are so many dullards and imbeciles that post on here without the first idea of grammar, prose, spelling or context.

Sort them out Mr.Dickhead

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Your mission, should you choose to accept, is to do this on every thread. There are so many dullards and imbeciles that post on here without the first idea of grammar, prose, spelling or context.

Sort them out Mr.Dickhead (space)

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

Sort them out Mr.Dickhead

Don't forget the space between the full stop and the capital D here [MENTION=15297]Dick Head[/MENTION]

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Who could have predicted that the mere mention of education would turn this thread into a grammar and spelling thread?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports