Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Campaign to get Ding Dong the Witch is Dead to Number One

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
My kid is in year 1 at Infant's school. He has football club after school every Wednesday. It's run by AITC not the teachers, so you have to pay, but I'd much rather he was taught by a qualified coach than a young lady infant school teacher. What the teachers did help out with recently was the massive schools dance event at the Dome. Thanks to one of the teachers and the office manager he got to perform in front of a full Dome in excellent costumes that the teachers had made themselves. They also did the choreography. On the day they took 30 kids for a dress rehearsal in the morning then out for pizza for lunch. We then dropped them back to the teachers at 5.30. They helped them with the performance and with co-ordinating our tickets and were with the kids till we were reunited after the performance at 9.30pm.

At 6 he can read nearly a year ahead of target, can write brilliantly (in cursive script) and add up. All this in a tiny community Infants in the middle of a council estate and ALL due to the teachers at that school.

His teachers are an inspiration (and since they're all women there isn't a beard or cord jacket between them). You on the other hand are a small minded disgrace, a trolling Little Englander with the thought processes of a lobotomized super model.

Post of the Decade.

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
in 1974, teachers were not permitted to mark more than 3 errors in a pupil's work. If there were 53 errors, 50 went unrecorded, and the pupil didn't learn those 50 things.

Stop making shit up!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
in 1974, teachers were not permitted to mark more than 3 errors in a pupil's work. If there were 53 errors, 50 went unrecorded, and the pupil didn't learn those 50 things.

What an incredible, staggeringly paranoid and stupid comment. Not allowed by who? Who controls these teachers? Is it like those brain worms in Futurama?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
My kid is in year 1 at Infant's school. He has football club after school every Wednesday. It's run by AITC not the teachers, so you have to pay, but I'd much rather he was taught by a qualified coach than a young lady infant school teacher. What the teachers did help out with recently was the massive schools dance event at the Dome. Thanks to one of the teachers and the office manager he got to perform in front of a full Dome in excellent costumes that the teachers had made themselves. They also did the choreography. On the day they took 30 kids for a dress rehearsal in the morning then out for pizza for lunch. We then dropped them back to the teachers at 5.30. They helped them with the performance and with co-ordinating our tickets and were with the kids till we were reunited after the performance at 9.30pm.

At 6 he can read nearly a year ahead of target, can write brilliantly (in cursive script) and add up. All this in a tiny community Infants in the middle of a council estate and ALL due to the teachers at that school.

His teachers are an inspiration (and since they're all women there isn't a beard or cord jacket between them). You on the other hand are a small minded disgrace, a trolling Little Englander with the thought processes of a lobotomized super model.

Excellent post. A little long for our friend, though. He'll have given up after a line or two, and, rather unfortunately, will not have got as far as your uncannily accurate description of him.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012

Agreed. Teachers today do go a LOT further than the journeymen, alkies and social misfits that I remember.

I just wish they would teach the kids how to use grammar and spelling correctly. Syntax we'll leave for another day.

The STATE of some of the youthful posts on here. I do worry that we have a generation of woeful communicators with huge self esteem to deal with.

Ulloa

Banned
Feb 3, 2013
Agreed. Teachers today do go a LOT further than the journeymen, alkies and social misfits that I remember.

I just wish they would teach the kids how to use grammar and spelling correctly. Syntax we'll leave for another day.

The STATE of some of the youthful posts on here. I do worry that we have a generation of woeful communicators with huge self esteem to deal with.

Tony Blair education, education, education. Complete and utter shambles.

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
Tony Blair education, education, education. Complete and utter shambles.

..........and after that brief respite we are back to playing on insanity beach!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I take it you don't see how little after-school activity now takes place. When there is any after-school sport, it is always left to the same couple of decent ones amongst them. Do you have district school sports events down there at the weekend? How many teachers bother going? Up here it is a total disgrace.

The last one I went to, only ONE teacher turned up for my son's team. Others were supposed to be there but were no-shows. How do they keep their jobs? The one that did go was from my son's school, and is the same one who has to organise all the football matches, cricket matches, etc. The rest is down to parents helping out (and only after they get themselves a CRB). Teachers cannot even be arsed to go and watch. So yes, lazy.

I honestly fell so so sorry for you Pork Pie.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Stop making shit up!

No, I'm not making it up. My best friend was a teacher in 1974 and it was something we talked about. She was only allowed to mark 3 things wrong per piece of work. This was to prevent the poor little mites from losing confidence. Honestly. Those kids are now 40 years old, and are the parents of today's senior school kids and that is how long the education system has been in decline. Some of those kids are even teachers, or MPs, or running local government.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
No, I'm not making it up. My best friend was a teacher in 1974 and it was something we talked about. She was only allowed to mark 3 things wrong per piece of work. This was to prevent the poor little mites from losing confidence. Honestly. Those kids are now 40 years old, and are the parents of today's senior school kids and that is how long the education system has been in decline. Some of those kids are even teachers, or MPs, or running local government.

If you cover a students work in red pen it is rather overwhelming and demoralising which means they don't take any notice of any of it. If you highlight some key areas for that student to focus on then they are more likely to respond to the feedback given and their work will improve. If a child cannot write a coherent sentence their is little point in correcting their lack of correctly formed paragraphs. Perhaps this is what your friend was talking about? I would be very surprised if she wasn't allowed to make more than three corrections. It is more likely that she was asked to give the student three areas to work on that would most benefit their learning.

If I am wrong perhaps you could ask your 'friend' who told her she was not allowed to mark any more than 3 things wrong. Was it the headmaster? government initiative? Education department?

I would suggest that if some of those kids are teachers, MP's and running local government perhaps it was a successful initiative and should be reintroduced.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Which legislation stipulated that all teachers were only allowed to mark three things as 'wrong' in 1974?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
If you cover a students work in red pen it is rather overwhelming and demoralising which means they don't take any notice of any of it. If you highlight some key areas for that student to focus on then they are more likely to respond to the feedback given and their work will improve. If a child cannot write a coherent sentence their is little point in correcting their lack of correctly formed paragraphs. Perhaps this is what your friend was talking about? I would be very surprised if she wasn't allowed to make more than three corrections. It is more likely that she was asked to give the student three areas to work on that would most benefit their learning.

If I am wrong perhaps you could ask your 'friend' who told her she was not allowed to mark any more than 3 things wrong. Was it the headmaster? government initiative? Education department?

I would suggest that if some of those kids are teachers, MP's and running local government perhaps it was a successful initiative and should be reintroduced.

Agreed. And if a teacher is setting work where a student is getting 53 things 'wrong' (in the teacher's view) then that teacher is not setting work that is developmentally appropriate.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I downloaded Ding, Dong the Witch is Dead to help make the voices of those hurt by Thatcherism to be heard above all the sycophantic eulogising of Margaret Thatcher in the media at the moment.

You know what, I responded to the main thread on Monday with something along the lines of "Won't shed a tear, but don't feel like celebrating" but since the amount of rhetoric and history rewriting, I feel like more than celebrating, I've bought the MP3 and considered wearing a 'Rust in Peace' t shirt to the office. Not proud of it but there you go....

Oh, and it's number 1 at Amazon and iTunes and 2 at play.com - I think we can assume a top 10 position has been safely secured.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here