Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Campaign to get Ding Dong the Witch is Dead to Number One

Jul 7, 2003
Bolton
Yes, and and even less than 40% of the electorate, given that there's always a proportion who don't turn out.
So in 1979 the Tories got 43.9% on a 75.98% turnout, so that's 33.4% of people who could have voted for her who actually did.
in 1983 the equivalent figure works out at 30.8%
in 1987 it was 31.8%

So never more than a third of people voted for her. Hardly the triumphant ringing endorsement you'd imagine from her acolytes on here.

I cant believe people peddle this kind of revisionist crap - look at me i can do maths. The 1983 and 87 elections were landslide victories in any serious analyst's view. In a three party and more system no one will ever get more than 50% of the vote as the majority of people will never change the way they vote but thatcher, like blair in 1997, was successful in dominating the middle ground of voters who will change their vote. By your logic we probably havent had a legitimate prime minister since stanley baldwin in 1931.

The Cardinal

Bishop of Withdean
Sep 2, 2008
St Peters
I cant believe people peddle this kind of revisionist crap - look at me i can do maths. The 1983 and 87 elections were landslide victories in any serious analyst's view. In a three party and more system no one will ever get more than 50% of the vote as the majority of people will never change the way they vote but thatcher, like blair in 1997, was successful in dominating the middle ground of voters who will change their vote. By your logic we probably havent had a legitimate prime minister since stanley baldwin in 1931.

Soistes is stating the truth. Obviously that is too difficult a concept for some.

Jul 7, 2003
Bolton
Its not the truth though is it. The statement made was that the sixty odd percent who didnt vote for her opposed her.that isnt the truth. Our elections are not decided on percentage of vote but on seats in the house of commons. And by that standard she had an overwhelming majority of popular support.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
I cant believe people peddle this kind of revisionist crap - look at me i can do maths. /QUOTE]

It's arithmetic, not maths, but yes, I can do it. And yes it shows that never more than 1/3 of the eligible population voted for her. It's true that this also applies to other parties and other governments, but that's not the point. The point is that no-one can claim that Thatcher was supported by anything like a majority. She wasn't.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
I cant believe people peddle this kind of revisionist crap - look at me i can do maths. /QUOTE]

It's arithmetic, not maths, but yes, I can do it. And yes it shows that never more than 1/3 of the eligible population voted for her. It's true that this also applies to other parties and other governments, but that's not the point. The point is that no-one can claim that Thatcher was supported by anything like a majority. She wasn't.

I don't know how many people actually voted for her.
What I do know is that I have never spoken to anyone that liked the odious, arrogant, power-mad, crooked, lying bitch.
So hopefully they will buy the song to highlight, to those who seem to have forgotten, just how evil she was.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Arithmetic is a branch of mathematics ? Albeit a basic one.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I don't know how many people actually voted for her.
What I do know is that I have never spoken to anyone that liked the odious, arrogant, power-mad, crooked, lying bitch.
So hopefully they will buy the song to highlight, to those who seem to have forgotten, just how evil she was.

Maybe elton can rewrite/re release Candle in the wind as a tribute for her and we can see which song gets higher in the charts. This would surely be the only true measure of her popularity.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Here's the thing.

You live (and presumably have lived for some time) in a country in which a majority of the population re-elected her TWICE.

She was never voted for by a majority of the population; less than a third ever voted for her. More than half those who voted didn't vote for her, plus millions didn't vote at all.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
She was never voted for by a majority of the population; less than a third ever voted for her. More than half those who voted didn't vote for her, plus millions didn't vote at all.

And why didn't they bother to vote, if she was doing so much damage? If you don't take up the option to have your democratic say, you don't really have many grounds for complaint IMHO.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
And why didn't they bother to vote, if she was doing so much damage? If you don't take up the option to have your democratic say, you don't really have many grounds for complaint IMHO.

It's a valid point. However, it doesn't knock down the specific point that is being made to refute TWOCHOICESTom's contention that a majority of the population re-elected Thatcher twice. In some ways, John Major had a stronger claim, with 14 million people voting Tory in 1992, higher than Thatcher achieved in any of her three General Election victories.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Why? isn't relevant - the fact is only a minority of the population voted for her. Some people maybe don't vote because they don't think any of the parties are any good, but mostly I suspect a lot of people just don't bother - same as they don't bother to vote in any elections.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here