Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Campaign to get Ding Dong the Witch is Dead to Number One

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Maybe you didn't read the rest of my post. I'm very happy to show good manners to people I meet or know (or indeed to people like you on message boards, at least in so far as it's reciprocated), but why should I show good manners towards the decomposing corpse of a public figure I despised, and who did so much damage in their life (in my view)?

Because if they're dead, they can't hear you. Their life is over. Done. They are dust. Better to stay silent than protest to someone who has gone.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
The only positive that I can see coming out of the sad passing of an old lady is that the floating middle ground voter will be disgusted enough by the behaviour of the left that they vote Tory at the next election.

Talk of egging hearses and smearing a dead old lady with paedophile rumours should do the trick.

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
ok, but thats just plain naive.

I think it's naive to expect people of consequence to have any interest whatsoever in Savile's private life. The public face was his charity work and that was what brought him into contact with the elite. The private face was rumour. We know the truth now, after 40 years, but they didn't know it then, whatever the rumours were. And the rumours were mostly going round the BBC, not Westminster or Buckingham Palace.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I confess I really don’t understand the argument that one should “show respect” to someone that’s died etc.

Of course, I’m happy to show respect towards people that I know or come across in everyday life (in the expectation that they’ll show reciprocal respect towards me etc), and that’s just day-to-day politeness.

However, I don’t feel any general obligation of respect towards some distant public figure, unless that respect has been earned in some way. So, in that case, I’d be happy to show respect towards a public figure who has done something that I admire, or who lives in a way that I regard as admirable, or who has contributed something out of the ordinary to society (Gandhi, Nelson Mandela etc, or umpteen great artists and musicians). In the case of someone whose ideology I despise, and whose activities and life’s work have, in my view, been harmful rather than beneficial, I feel no such obligation of respect, and that doesn’t change just because they are dead.

Indeed, on balance, even if am going to be respectful to anyone (which I’m not in the case of Thatcher), I’m more inclined to do it when they’re alive than when they are a decomposing corpse.

So I feel absolutely no compunction in expressing disrespect towards a dead Thatcher, and I don’t think that makes me a bad person, or in need of reflecting on my actions or any other of the pompous suggestions found in the “outraged of Hove” posts on here.

As far as the campaign for the Judy Garland song goes, I think that’s an excellent and quite amusing, tongue-in-cheek way for people like me who hated Thatcher and all she stood for and did, to express their disrespect in a fairly low key way, and remind the world how many people really did and still do detest her, without going out on the streets and demonstrating etc (that sort of thing is more relevant when it might make a difference to something in real time, e.g, poll tax demo, anti-Iraq war etc)

And, just to be clear, I’m not some youthful know-nothing, who didn’t experience the 70s and 80s (although why that should preclude someone from having a considered view is beyond me) – I did live through it as an educated adult, and I’ve looked at and considered the evidence on both sides of the argument. All things considered, I still want to show my disrespect in some way. Sorry about that.

It's a "this" from me

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
We did it once. We can do it again. But it will take the right kind of national and global economic conditions and the right political mindset to do it. And the people will have to be courageous while it is being done.

Being devils advocate, would the minimum wage (fantastic by the way) stand in the way? Surely we couldn't compete against the likes of India/China? The higher-end market (pay more but get higher quality) is almost entirely cornered by Germany isn't it?

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
I think it's naive to expect people of consequence to have any interest whatsoever in Savile's private life. The public face was his charity work and that was what brought him into contact with the elite. The private face was rumour. We know the truth now, after 40 years, but they didn't know it then, whatever the rumours were. And the rumours were mostly going round the BBC, not Westminster or Buckingham Palace.

I'm sorry, that is just plain wrong. Look, just stop replying to my posts, I will do the same to yours.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
yes yes, we know...............just let us have a few days of fun, the newly found piousness on this board is puke-inducing.

Exactly. People are perfectly capable of having fun and taking the p**s in parts of their life, while contributing to society, engaging in activism, holding down a worthwhile job, setting up a soup kitchen, donating a kidney, running a marathon in monkey suit .... in other parts.
The point is, she's dead. That's reminded lots of us that we hated what she stood for and what she did, and letting off a bit of (occasionally funny) steam on a message board, or through daft posters or parties or whatever, is a perfectly valid way to express that.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I doubt very much whether Thatcher or other bigwigs had a clue as to Savile's distasteful hobbies. I don't suppose anyone bothered to waste their time telling them about any rumours which were doing the rounds, as there was no proof at the time.

You really honestly believe that? You think the security services would let anyone near her without checking him out first - especially with the rumours? Blimey.

He was a social climber and conman par excellence.

True. But that's not the issue here.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Being devils advocate, would the minimum wage (fantastic by the way) stand in the way? Surely we couldn't compete against the likes of India/China? The higher-end market (pay more but get higher quality) is almost entirely cornered by Germany isn't it?

The minimum wage is a marvellous ideal, but it is impractical. Yes, wages should not be too low, but the reality is, that some companies (small ones, mostly) don't have an awful lot of spare cash or profits knocking around with which to pay high wages. The lower the wages, the more people they can employ. If the company is constrained by the minimum wage, that knocks one other job, or more, on the head. So what has happened is that there is a growing black market economy, where some companies employ people for less than the minimum wage, usually foreigners glad of any wage higher than they would get in their own country, and these wages are not declared and they don't pay tax on them. Hotels and restaurants are particularly infamous for this kind of black market economy and I think it's spread to other jobs, such as building, etc.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
HOFFMAN_bw-archive_149.jpg

How about that one, sum it up as well?

No

i thought my picture was much more relevant to a bunch of manipulated spotty teenagers and the ridiculous idea of downloading a song to get to No.1.

but please carry on

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
No

i thought my picture was much more relevant to a bunch of manipulated spotty teenagers and the ridiculous idea of downloading a song to get to No.1.

but please carry on

Ok so images for you don't have any context? How do you know that those kids parents weren't involved in the Brixton riots, i don't know that for sure do you?

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
What winds me up is that most people 'celebrating' her death are under 30 and are just jumping on a bandwagon. She dragged the country into the modern era but people trot out the same couple of arguments, "created lots of unemployment", "closed the mines". Question them further than that and they haven't a ****ing clue what they're talking about.

She did ruffle a few feathers along the way, but VERY MUCH THIS ^^^

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
One rule.
One people.
One Thatcher.

i.e. The people of Great Britain beat Thatcher.

Well, not really: the original referred to Hitler: Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Führer
and is translated as: "one people, one empire, one leader".

This poster is making a clear, if simplistic, analogy between Thatcher and Hitler (even if they got the Volk and Reich bit the wrong way round).

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Even then, people were talking of 'stories' and 'rumours'; something her security network would have been onto in a flash. The Sunday Mirror pulled out of running an exposé in 1981 due to what he threatened them with. How did he manage that, one supposes?

If you really believe 'no-one knew' - even in the murky shadows, it would be an almighty failing by the security services.

... which explains a lot.
Says the man who has shown support on here for the nonce Pete Townsend.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here