Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Campaign to get Ding Dong the Witch is Dead to Number One

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
It's nothing more than good manners, whoever has died. But good manners seem to be old-school, old-fashioned and uncool, these days! :smile:

Maybe you didn't read the rest of my post. I'm very happy to show good manners to people I meet or know (or indeed to people like you on message boards, at least in so far as it's reciprocated), but why should I show good manners towards the decomposing corpse of a public figure I despised, and who did so much damage in their life (in my view)?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
1365449970-people-gather-in-brixton-to-celebrate-the-death-of-margaret-thatcher_1942783.jpg

sums it all up really

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
I'm not disputing those facts - but as I've said that's how people you know personally benefited from her economic policies as opposed to a wider-ranging evaluation of her. My issue is with you saying that because you were there - and you've illustrated it beautifully with a very specific example.

On your actual argument though, before the Thatcher era you didn't NEED to get on the property ladder in this country to the extent that one does now, so by increasing the number of owners and thus driving prices up (and not replacing the council stock therefore leaving non-owners much more at the mercy of private landlords), it just became harder. I don't know how much knowledge you have on life for a first-time buyer now, but you need at LEAST 15-20k deposit to buy a very basic ex-council house on a very poor value mortgage. Given that you are probably paying £800 per month in rent (as a couple), I fail to see how that is much different from how you say it was in the 70's. But minus the much more accessible and affordable decent social housing for those unable to do so in the meantime.

Absolutely agree with you. I doubt my son will ever be able to buy his own house. We've just returned from abroad and had to start all over again, as first-time buyers. We had to put down at 60k deposit. He'll never get that kind of money together, not even if he borrows it from the rich uncle we don't know exists. When we were young marrieds in 1978, to own your own house was a dream and we felt lucky to be able to follow that dream. Most people lived in Council Houses or rented other private accommodation. Someone quite close to me bought their Council House for £13,000 and sold it for £39,000 about 2 or 3 years later and used that huge profit to buy bigger and better houses. Houses they couldn't actually afford to run because their wages were low, which was why they were in a Council House in the first place. Eventually, they had to trade down to smaller and smaller properties until they had to sell up altogether and rent a house. Now they're back in a Council House. In the meantime, as you say, my son will have to pay rent to a buy-to-letter until he retires and have nothing at the end. Just like so many others.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Here's an idea. Instead of wasting time and money on social media juvenilia, why don't those who are so concerned about Fatcher's Bwitain do something constructive to make the world a marginally better place?

Do some voluntary work. Donate a quid to charity. Call on an elderly neighbour. Pick up some litter that isn't yours. Join a campaigning group that will make a difference to your immediate locality, the UK, or somewhere overseas. Think about running for office in local government.

Or just spend hours Tweeting, posting snide comments on messageboards, and buying downloads that you think will "make a point".

Well said. Billy Bragg made the point yesterday that her death is merely a footnote reminding us of her legacy and that we'd be better off concentrating on activism now rather than celebrating an old woman's death. Seems to be the right answer to me.

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
Well said. Billy Bragg made the point yesterday that her death is merely a footnote reminding us of her legacy and that we'd be better off concentrating on activism now rather than celebrating an old woman's death. Seems to be the right answer to me.

yes yes, we know...............just let us have a few days of fun, the newly found piousness on this board is puke-inducing.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Sadly not, we don't have a workforce with the skills needed. Tony Blair sent the working class to university, now they all think they are too good to do such work with their degrees in politics, sports science and drama.

There is truth to this. It is ridiculous trying to send everyone to university. If everyone goes to university, who is going to clean the toilets, service tractors, cut people's hair or do any of the host of other jobs which don't need a university education? To be a check-out girl used to be a fall-back option for anyone who left school with few examination passes. About 10 years ago or so, even Tesco check-out girls couldn't get jobs there unless they had 5 GCSEs grade 3 or above. (I don't know what it's like now.) The drive for more and more examination results is an idealogical idea with little practical use, which has resulted in people being over-qualified to do the more practical and lower-paid jobs, which, as you say, they feel is beneath them. (Let's not go into whether those qualifications are actually worth the intellectual paper they are written on.)

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Yes they did, they just turned a blind eye because of the charity dollars. Sickening. Same way they turned a blind eye to Dennis Thatcers dodgy business associations.

I doubt very much whether Thatcher or other bigwigs had a clue as to Savile's distasteful hobbies. I don't suppose anyone bothered to waste their time telling them about any rumours which were doing the rounds, as there was no proof at the time.

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Even then, people were talking of 'stories' and 'rumours'; something her security network would have been onto in a flash. The Sunday Mirror pulled out of running an exposé in 1981 due to what he threatened them with. How did he manage that, one supposes?

If you really believe 'no-one knew' - even in the murky shadows, it would be an almighty failing by the security services.

... which explains a lot.

He was a social climber and conman par excellence.

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
I doubt very much whether Thatcher or other bigwigs had a clue as to Savile's distasteful hobbies. I don't suppose anyone bothered to waste their time telling them about any rumours which were doing the rounds, as there was no proof at the time.

ok, but thats just plain naive.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
yes yes, we know...............just let us have a few days of fun, the newly found piousness on this board is puke-inducing.

I did celebrate myself when I heard. I was in Brixton that night and could fully understand why many of the people there were overjoyed. Just happened to think Billy Bragg was quite right about the activism. Certainly not meaning to be pious or lecture anyone. Maybe it was a memo to myself!

Flex Your Head

Rip to an old lady
END OF

People who use 'end of' at the end of their posts and conversations sound like such arses. It's the equivalent of saying, "I'm right, you're wrong, I'm not listening anymore ner ner nerrrrrr... I'm so blinkered and narrow-minded that I can not even contemplate the notion of listening to a differing point of view ner ner ner not listening ner ner nerrrrrrrr..."

Just sayin', like.

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
I did celebrate myself when I heard. I was in Brixton that night and could fully understand why many of the people there were overjoyed. Just happened to think Billy Bragg was quite right about the activism. Certainly not meaning to be pious or lecture anyone. Maybe it was a memo to myself!

that wasn't directed at you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here