Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cameron - the shrimp in China

David Cameron, a leader from a small nation group across the World, one which doesn't figure in anything particular but once stuck their oars in all over the show - is presently pontificating at the Chinese a little bit.

The Chinese, being all so very polite - are apparently suffering our representative, even though I don't think they really give much of a shit about him actually. They are quite powerful nowadays, and Britain is pretty insignificant.

I wonder if telling them how they ought to behave, is a good policy to work from when they are your hosts? Do the British people 'expect him to' raise these issues? And after invading Iraq and going along with everything Israel and USA do, is Britain in any position to point pointedly at anyone?
Keeping schtum, of course I realise, could be seen as going along with everything China do, too.

BBC News - David Cameron urges China to embrace democracy

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I understand the sentiment, but aren't we something like the 8th biggest economy in the world ourselves? Not that we export anything to China at the moment compared to the flow coming the other way.

I must admit, anyone who expects a British PM to dwell too long on human rights issues in China is living in a dreamworld. He's paying lip service to it, because he has to. There is nothing we can do about that on our own, and it'll be the same with every other visiting western premier. Even the Americans will tread carefully in China.

KLF

Albion Boleh!
Oct 27, 2004
Living next door to Gully
I must admit, anyone who expects a British PM to dwell too long on human rights issues in China is living in a dreamworld. He's paying lip service to it, because he has to. There is nothing we can do about that on our own, and it'll be the same with every other visiting western premier. Even the Americans will tread carefully in China.

This.

China is far too important to the UK economy these days to be upsetting them on principle Yes, in an ideal world we would not have any dealings with them because of their human rights record, but this will never happen. Anyway, we don't exactly berate the US for theirs do we?!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I have no particular grudge against him, but why laud the signings of these trade deals e.g. the Rolls Ryoce one, a being a result of this visit - these things would have been signed and sealed long before. He doesn't just turn up in China, and the airline suddenly decides to spend £750m on engines. Makes it seem seem very insincere, shallow and staged for the media.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
If the Chineses asked him to stick broom handles up his arse to ensure trade with Britain he'd do it.
It doesn't matter who's in charge they'd all be on their hands & knees begging to China for more trade.
Our country's in the shitter & we need their money simple as that

brightonandhove567

crawleytownfan
Apr 17, 2008
He has offended me yes by doubling my tuition fees! Other things like taking away m housing allowance ect although it doesn't apply to me very annoying.

WANKER! I hate him.

This.

China is far too important to the UK economy these days to be upsetting them on principle Yes, in an ideal world we would not have any dealings with them because of their human rights record, but this will never happen. Anyway, we don't exactly berate the US for theirs do we?!

Truth. Though GWBush just gave his support for 'waterboarding' which we call "torture".
The Geneva Convention doesn't have much say nowadays, and America had belittled the whole 'United Nations' organization by brushing them aside about 'WMD's and taking up war with Iraq and allowing their leader to be hanged.

I'd heard mention of Brazil as 8th World Economy, but wonder what such stats mean to us. I worry we are heading down the league in World Economy.

I have no particular grudge against him, but why laud the signings of these trade deals e.g. the Rolls Ryoce one, a being a result of this visit - these things would have been signed and sealed long before. He doesn't just turn up in China, and the airline suddenly decides to spend £750m on engines. Makes it seem seem very insincere, shallow and staged for the media.

Word.
I heard something to that effect earlier in the week too, where it was mentioned that deals were already done and their being highlighted for his visit is just trying to paint a prettier picture for him.
On the other hand though, I still hope he DOES do something successful for Britain - just because he's a Conservative I don't want him to fall flat while being a representative for all of us.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God

True, a lot of work will have been done but emerging countries like India and China still place a lot of importance on political support. The PM's prescence could well have sealed the deal.

tricky

Jul 7, 2003
Reigate
Well I know we do export something to china that is worth quite a lot to the chinese, and that is scientific expertise. The chinese work very hard to bring our experts over there and certainly value our contribution - so its not a completly one way relationship.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
He has offended me yes by doubling my tuition fees! Other things like taking away m housing allowance ect although it doesn't apply to me very annoying.

WANKER! I hate him.

It's about time students paid more towards something that partially benefits them. I have to agree with Paskman that hate is rather strong - I would suggest that is reserved for the really bad people of the world such as murders, rapists and dictators.

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
It's about time students paid more towards something that partially benefits them. I have to agree with Paskman that hate is rather strong - I would suggest that is reserved for the really bad people of the world such as murders, rapists and dictators.

Bit radical that Westdene - suggesting that people pay a bit towards their education! Agree that hate should be reserved for the really evil people in the World - but I would add to your list Andy Johnson and Rachid Harkouk:thumbsup:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Tories - you seem to be struggling with the concept that WHOEVER is PM in this country always gets dog's abuse - Major had it, Blair had it, Brown had it, now it's Cheesy Dave's turn to get both barrels. It is the way of things, get used to it.

Last edited:

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
Could he not be the "Prawn in China"? At least there could be some classy jokes about him talking "Prawn Balls" or other simillar chinese food related gags. You know - as soon as you have completed one trade agreement with the Chinese you want another:wink:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
If the Chineses asked him to stick broom handles up his arse to ensure trade with Britain he'd do it.
It doesn't matter who's in charge they'd all be on their hands & knees begging to China for more trade.
Our country's in the shitter & we need their money simple as that

Yes but India would do the same now. The is fact a lot of countries round the World don't give a damn what Westerners think and frankly can you blame them. For example we had a war with the Chinese not so long ago as they didn't like us exploiting their opium trade. The Americans are legendary for changing sides when it suits them financially.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here