Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Camera advice

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Hi clever people. I want to buy a camera that is simple to use, has lots of mexapixels and a good optical zoom. This is very reduced apparently. Is it any good?

Canon EOS 2000D DSLR Camera and EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Lens - Black​

Technical note, I break cameras. The last one opened while in the case so the zoom mechanism was buggered. But I take lots of pix. Mostly outdoors, scenery, usual amateur bolleaux.

Ta. HWT

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Canera advice: if buying a Canon EOS, be sure to buy the official Canon EOS camera strap accessory. This will help swiftly identify you to your mugger, thus saving you both valuable time in your busy schedules :thumbsup:
Canera, you say? ???

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So is anyone going to help me out, or are you all just sitting back, tittering, while I'm mocked by the tartan prankster?

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I don’t know the 2000D in particular but any Canon camera of recent vintage will serve you well, especially if, like me, you’re a keen amateur rather than have pretentions to become a pro. There’s a huge selection of used lenses available at a decent price. I have the Canon M50 which I bought in a Black Friday deal a year or two back for about £400. It’s a mirrorless camera, small and light and versatile — and recommended. The 2000D is bigger, and I’m sure would be fine. As for whether it’s a good deal, it depends what price you’re being asked for it, plus what lenses etc it comes with.

Added - sorry, you’ve mentioned the lens which is nothing special I believe but perfectly adequate for everyday photography. If you buy a Canon, the usual advice is to buy the 'nifty fifty' - the 50mm f1.8 which is cheap but high quality. It’s the one I have on my camera by default.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I don’t know the 2000D in particular but any Canon camera of recent vintage will serve you well, especially if, like me, you’re a keen amateur rather than have pretentions to become a pro. There’s a huge selection of used lenses available at a decent price. I have the Canon M50 which I bought in a Black Friday deal a year or two back for about £400. It’s a mirrorless camera, small and light and versatile — and recommended. The 2000D is bigger, and I’m sure would be fine. As for whether it’s a good deal, it depends what price you’re being asked for it, plus what lenses etc it comes with.
Cheers! It is this

1700246434289.png

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Hi clever people. I want to buy a camera that is simple to use, has lots of mexapixels and a good optical zoom. This is very reduced apparently. Is it any good?

Technical note, I break cameras. The last one opened while in the case so the zoom mechanism was buggered. But I take lots of pix. Mostly outdoors, scenery, usual amateur bolleaux.

Ta. HWT
New role at Frictionless Bar?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Hi clever people. I want to buy a camera that is simple to use, has lots of mexapixels and a good optical zoom.

55mm at the long end isn't much zoom. Fine for many, but just check it's enough for you.

Last edited:

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Well, I’m no expert but if that’s around your budget, I’m sure it would be a very decent camera that you’ll get good results from, especially if you shoot in RAW and use Photoshop or Lightroom or one of the other editors to polish up the pictures afterwards. That said, the enduring truth is that the quality of your results is massively more dependent on the photographer and looking for good subjects and good compositions, rather than having the best kit. The best advice I’d offer is to check out YouTube, both for reviews and, if you buy it, tutorials. So many people buy expensive kit and then treat it like a point and shoot camera, always on Auto mode. That’s a waste of money. If you’re buying a DSLR, spend at least a day or two in front of your computer, watching tutorials aimed at your camera, and making notes. Then watch some aimed at improving composition etc.That time is a better investment than anything you shell out money-wise.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
55mm at the long end isn't much zoo. Fine for many, but just check it's enough for you.
No, it’s not long enough if you want to take a wide range of shots but it’s fine for starting off on, and learning your way round the camera. A good buy is the Canon 55-250mm which you can pick up used for £100-150, and would complement the 18-55 very nicely.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Ta. HWT
You won't go far wrong with any Canon. This model should do all you want, and more if you use the various settings, ie speed, aperture or manual.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

Ta. HWT
Very similar to my set up including the Image Stabilising lens - tbh have been meaning to sell my Canon EOS, with a 55mm and a 300mm IS lens for years but haven’t got round to it - mainly used it for birding photography but got too much carrying around with scope etc - good luck - that is a very reasonable price (but I’d make sure I got a written condition guarantee if you are buying online.)

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing

Ta. HWT
I don't know much about SLR type cameras but if you were looking for a versatile easy to use camera with large zoom and small enough to put in a pocket then i would heartily recommend a panasonic lumix. Although, reading your whole post, if you break cameras maybe one in your pocket is not such a good idea!

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
55mm at the long end isn't much zoo. Fine for many, but just check it's enough for you.
Without looking it up, is it a full frame or cropped sensor?
I have a cropped sensor Fuji and the 18-55 lens is a great range. It’d be a bit short on full frame, though.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I assume cropped. Something like 1.5 * full frame?
Without wanting to confuse HWT, it’s an APS-C with a crop factor of 1.6. Means that a 100mm lens will behave like a 160mm lens. I like this on my M50. It means (for instance) that my 55-250mm lens is more like 80-400mm.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well, I’m no expert but if that’s around your budget, I’m sure it would be a very decent camera that you’ll get good results from, especially if you shoot in RAW and use Photoshop or Lightroom or one of the other editors to polish up the pictures afterwards. That said, the enduring truth is that the quality of your results is massively more dependent on the photographer and looking for good subjects and good compositions, rather than having the best kit. The best advice I’d offer is to check out YouTube, both for reviews and, if you buy it, tutorials. So many people buy expensive kit and then treat it like a point and shoot camera, always on Auto mode. That’s a waste of money. If you’re buying a DSLR, spend at least a day or two in front of your computer, watching tutorials aimed at your camera, and making notes. Then watch some aimed at improving composition etc.That time is a better investment than anything you shell out money-wise.
Cheers. Appreciated :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I don't know much about SLR type cameras but if you were looking for a versatile easy to use camera with large zoom and small enough to put in a pocket then i would heartily recommend a panasonic lumix. Although, reading your whole post, if you break cameras maybe one in your pocket is not such a good idea!
I broke my Panasonic lumix :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here