Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Calvin Bassey Rangers full-back

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Does anyone believe that a player wouldn't improve in our set up? I think Ajax was the wrong move for him, he doesn't seem massively cultured but there are plenty of absolute carthorses who can be top PL defenders. He is a left footed defender who could cover CB and LB, we have a big vacancy in that position since Dan Burn left.
I would argue the number one skill any incoming CB needs to fit into an RDZ is ability on the ball, so he is starting with his ankles tied if that's one of his worst attributes. Doesn't matter about surging runs a la Webster, doesn't matter about physicality a la Duffy. We've moved on even from Potter. I'd argue that RDZ would even be more inclined to play a DM at CB than a carthorse (something Pep does regularly).

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I would argue the number one skill any incoming CB needs to fit into an RDZ is ability on the ball, so he is starting with his ankles tied if that's one of his worst attributes. Doesn't matter about surging runs a la Webster, doesn't matter about physicality a la Duffy. We've moved on even from Potter. I'd argue that RDZ would even be more inclined to play a DM at CB than a carthorse (something Pep does regularly).
Where it gets a bit weird is that his rangers passing stats were decent but it's just all fallen apart at Ajax. Maybe if we can get him at 10m plus add ons might be worth a very outside punt.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
No veltman was pretty highly regarded at Ajax, when he came to us they had an amazing squad so they were ok letting him go. You didn't see comments like I will drive him there more along the lines of we can let him go.

Now the Ajax team is rubbish. And this is their worst defender , a laughing stock.
Not true about Veltman. In the years before his transfer to us, the Ajax fans had been blaming him for red cards and a couple of high profile errors and ridiculing him in a similar way that English football fans have recently treated Maguire. There were complaints that he was being picked for the Netherlands with people saying that he was only selected because he was close to de Boer. He gave an interview about it after he'd been here a while, saying that it was a relief to get away from that kind of negativity and focus on his game. Seems unbelievable, as during his time with us, its hard to name many other EPL defenders who have been as clued up and consistently reliable as him.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not true about Veltman. In the years before his transfer to us, the Ajax fans had been blaming him for red cards and a couple of high profile errors and ridiculing him in a similar way that English football fans have recently treated Maguire. There were complaints that he was being picked for the Netherlands with people saying that he was only selected because he was close to de Boer. He gave an interview about it after he'd been here a while, saying that it was a relief to get away from that kind of negativity and focus on his game. Seems unbelievable, as during his time with us, its hard to name many other EPL defenders who have been as clued up and consistently reliable than him.
Our best shithouser….by a country mile too

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Where it gets a bit weird is that his rangers passing stats were decent but it's just all fallen apart at Ajax. Maybe if we can get him at 10m plus add ons might be worth a very outside punt.
My worry (and disclaimer: I was super excited about this LAST summer) is that being able to pass the ball for Rangers is certainly no firm proof you can do it at a higher level. Might just be his confidence is shot, but you'd worry about him fitting into our kamikaze back line currently.

Jul 7, 2003
Yes but this is veltman.

Read the comments about bassey ! General consensus 20m flushed down the bog. Poor under pressure , sloppy passing , a donkey in the Maguire mould.

I trust our recruitment team implicitly but I would be very surprised if these rumours are true.
I was only responding to the Veltman comment - nothing to do with Bassey.

Bracknell_Gull

Jul 4, 2011
Bracknell
I may be completely wrong here, but I seem to remember him playing DM quite a bit at Rangers too? I have to say I was always quite impressed by him during his time north of the border, and I base that mainly on Europa League appearances as I rarely bother with the Monkey Tennis League.

As others have said, I trust the recruitment team and if this is a player they think can add value (and European experience) who can play CB, LB and DM, then I think it could be a good shout. He certainly brings the physicality we lose should Moises depart this summer.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
It’s dipping a toe publicly so Chelsea can see we are prepared to look else should Colwell not be for sale

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Still think Hans Kraay wears the crown for all time shithousery in Brighton colours though!!!
True, I love that he took his shirt off and chucked it down when Mullery subbed him during a game but the next day was Mullery’s chauffeur for a trip to check out a player.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Not for me, Clive.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I looked at one of his showreels. I could not find any evidence that his passing is up to the high standard we need. Running into dead-ends and not passing at the correct time was however on show. I don’t think he has the vision or technique for Dezerbiball in an attacking sense.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We send decent defenders who are not quite good enough for us up to Scotland to improve Rangers' defence. I don't think it works the other way round!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Isn't this all just a little bit of history repeating?

:rave:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here