Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Calvin Bassey Rangers full-back

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
It would be nice to have a right back as good as Pervis was on the left last year, but in terms of players in the squad who can play there, playing Lamptey on the wrong side has been our only option to rest our first choice left back. At right back we have Lamptey, Veltman, Milner, Webster & Gross. Odel Offiah is a centre back who has repurposed in both full back positions, but even he is right footed. We desperately need another left back.
Imari Samuels. England u-20s, looks fantastic in the U21s.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Loaning our youngsters out is what we do - no reason to expect anything different this season.
Absolutely, just looks likely some who featured last year will go out loan, so be interesting to see who.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I've actually slept on this and really fancy it. I don't think he'll be coming as first choice CB but I was super excited about him joining last Summer and as first reserve LCB and LB I think he's just the ticket. He'll be really eager to prove people wrong after his disastrous big money move.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Fans always nail it, reading that it makes you wonder why we want him.
Indeed. I watched Ajax games with my Ajax mate last season purely to take the piss out of bassey. Absolute clown performances for them. I'm getting absolutely destroyed now we are in for him.

But I still trust Brighton scouts more than my own eyes (or Ajax fans!!)

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Absolutely, based on fan opinion it's insane that we kept faith with Solly March, Deniz Undav, Danny Welbeck, Billy Gilmour, Jason Steele, Pascal Gross and Adam Webster. Should have got rid immediately.

(Unless you're being sarcastic and we're actually agreeing, in which case, nothing to see here)

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

Those same fans couldn't wait to see the back of Veltman.

A big issue of Bassey's is a loss of confidence because of abuse he received from his own fans.

He started the season well, looking at his whoscored player ratings for the season, but after the world cup break his form dipped.

From what our players say about De Zerbi, he is great at building confidence, so I'm optimistic that Bassey could be a decent addition.

Garyoldfan

Jun 14, 2023
Absolutely, based on fan opinion it's insane that we kept faith with Solly March, Deniz Undav, Danny Welbeck, Billy Gilmour, Jason Steele, Pascal Gross and Adam Webster. Should have got rid immediately.

(Unless you're being sarcastic and we're actually agreeing, in which case, nothing to see here)
Undav isn’t over the line yet !

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Consensus seems to be that Bassey is very athletic, strong runner and can put in great crosses and long balls. But his press resistance and short passing under pressure is poor.

Which begs the question if he can cope with De Zerbiball as we currently know it.

Or perhaps more interestingly, is he a contingency option for teams who try to sit back and catch us on the break? Powerful runner who can zip a ball over the top…

Bracknell_Gull

Jul 4, 2011
Bracknell
I mentioned back in June when this rumour resurfaced that I thought we may be in for him as he could play DM. The guy is a proper physical specimen and would provide some of the much needed physicality we are potentially losing if/when Moises leaves.

If a player can fill in at DM, LCB and LB, with the amount of games we are looking this season, I think that the versatility he offers alone is worth the punt (especially if we can take an unwanted player off their hands at a cheaper price than we might normally expect)

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
If he’s not for sale not sure why it’s ‘complicated’ :laugh:
It’s surely complicated because Chelsea want something we have, namely Caicedo. If tough for Chelsea to progress those talks when they won’t answer the phone to our Colwill enquiries.

It’s complicated for Fab because mentioning this obvious point explicitly will upset Caicedo’s agents which he is not in the business of doing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here