Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Callum McManaman (Wigan)...

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
FFS...."got the ball" brigade again.

If I walk up to a player and "get the ball" off them, but at the same time pull out a pistol and shoot them in the head, that's not a foul, right? Cos I got the ball.

I am fairly sure concealing a gun in your kit isn't allowed! Where would you put it?

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
It was a bad tackle but in my opinion he went to kick the ball and his follow through got the player. Red card and 3 game but no more than that.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I just had to rewind Dave Whelan on SSN. And yes, he actually said "who knows, the lad might be playing in 2 weeks time."

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
No, I'm not a mind reader and I don't need to be one to see that you're clearly wrong on at least one point. First the ball was nowhere near where his foot came in - he had no right to make a challenge of that nature. Second, you clearly can't read. As I stated, from "what I saw on the highlights and NOT A COMPLETE PICTURE" he did not seem to care. The phrase "not a complete picture" is rather critical here. I'm certainly unaware as to whether the young man has made any statement of regret - he may have done so, but it hasn't been a high profile statement of regret.

Can't stand people like you that jump in all keyboards blazing without bothering to read.

If the ball was no where near then how did he make contact with ball! As for the tackle, he was entitled to go for the ball but not with the force or recklessness that appeared to happen.

As for your 'complete picture' analysis, how can you be shocked when you've only seen the highlights and there is nothing on there to suggest he wasn't affected. He certainly wasn't show walking around with a smile on his face or similar. For all I know he might not give a damn about the injured player but having only seen the highlights myself I couldn't arrive at that conclusion!!!!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If a Palace player had made that tackle yesterday 26,000 people would have been calling for a red card.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
If a Palace player had made that tackle yesterday 26,000 people would have been calling for a red card.

It's a red card every day of the week, regardless who makes the 'tackle', it's just a matter of whether the FA think a 3 match ban is sufficient punishment. I think 4 or 5 matches would suffice.

8564708205_8fbe228daf_o.gif

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
If the ball was no where near then how did he make contact with ball! As for the tackle, he was entitled to go for the ball but not with the force or recklessness that appeared to happen.

As for your 'complete picture' analysis, how can you be shocked when you've only seen the highlights and there is nothing on there to suggest he wasn't affected. He certainly wasn't show walking around with a smile on his face or similar. For all I know he might not give a damn about the injured player but having only seen the highlights myself I couldn't arrive at that conclusion!!!!

Which is the point I have included you fool. Please do get yourself some elementary lessons in the English language.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

And as for your assertion that he got the ball, if we are honest, he missed the ball. It was a pretty wild challenge. He may have grazed the ball, but he certainly didn't get the ball. It was a badly timed challenge and he should not have made it.

However, if that's a challenge you're happy with, then just in case you do play the game please can you introduce yourself as Drew from NSC at every match, as I'd like to avoid playing against you if possible.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Whether it was overenthusiasm or malicious intent, that was a truly dreadful challenge and I'd imagine the Premier League will adding on at least 1 match on top of the standard 3 match ban for serious foul play. Dave Whelan was foolish to come out and say what he did as it looks like he is defending the indefensible, but I suppose he feels duty bound to stick up for his club and there is a certain amount of 'old bloke thinking of football in a bygone age' about his remarks too.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
And as for your assertion that he got the ball, if we are honest, he missed the ball. It was a pretty wild challenge. He may have grazed the ball, but he certainly didn't get the ball. It was a badly timed challenge and he should not have made it.

However, if that's a challenge you're happy with, then just in case you do play the game please can you introduce yourself as Drew from NSC at every match, as I'd like to avoid playing against you if possible.

You say I need to learn english!! One minute he missed the ball and the next he may have grazed it. There is no may about it. Watch the video and you can see he caught the ball first. Not full contact but definitely the ball first. As for your rubbish about being happy with the tackle, where did I say that? Or for that matter, where did I imply that I was happy with that tackle. This all started because you announced you were shocked by his indifference based on no evidence whatsoever.

As for football, haven't played since tore the two cruciate ligaments in my right knee when I was 21.

Jimmy Grimble

Facing no charges.

Unreal.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
The FA are useless. No action taken.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Madness, how can he NOT be charged ?

So Ashley Barnes got a 7 match ban for a slight trip on the ref, yet McManaman gets nothing for potentially ending a players career in an incredibly reckless challenge ? Do the FA really know how to run this countries football ??

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
typical spineless response from the fa, what else do we expect. change rules to suit themselves. Just a question, they state can't add ban since incident seen by officials at time and no action taken. Barnes trip was obviously seen and action taken by official at time and sent off resulting in 4 game ban. They can add ban even though action taken at time. is this double standard??

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
It is a bouncing ball, which he plays at knee height. I am not sure what all the fuss is about.

This sort of thing happens dozens of times a game, he is unlucky that the oppo plants his leg in the firing line after he is committed to trying to kick the ball.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Knee high because that was how high the ball was. Are you suggesting that no one is allowed to kick a ball if it is off the ground!

So, you're a mind reader are you. From what I saw on the pitch there was no sign of him being indifferent. He stood not far away and one of his players stood with him.

As for the tackle, it was reckless but not malicious. He went for the ball, which he got and the follow through caused the injury. It was his first start in the premiership so this witch hunt is ridiculous and as for the comparison with Keane, that's a joke. Keane admitted in his book that he did Haaland deliberately as revenge.
First time i've seen this tackle and i agree with you. I can't see any intent to cause injury. He went for the ball. Right decision by the FA

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Talksport have just compared no action for that challenge and Barnes extended ban for attempting to trip a ref and said how ridiculous. This was a ridiculous high challenge but if such tackles are attempted there is even more need for them to be timed right and carried out correctly. This tackle wasn't on either count.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
First time i've seen this tackle and i agree with you. I can't see any intent to cause injury. He went for the ball. Right decision by the FA

are you being serious?? so for clarity if on Sunday Glenn Murray had tackled Ulloa like that you would have said it was fine he went for the ball? he may have missed the ball and caused serious injury but at least he went for the ball!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here