Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calling all plumbers, calling all plumbers...

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
Ok I'll give it a go.

I think I've done remarkably well talking blokey, fixing stuff, (that isn't a bicycle) I've even pulled my shorts down so you can see the crack of my arse.
But now the sham is over and you can start calling me girls names, not to mention sticking another zero on the bill:-

How do you get the lid off one a cistern that's similar to this?, it won't just lift off.

View attachment 47240

You need to lift out the two 'buttons' that you push to flush the toilet - a bit of blu-tac might help as they should just lift out. Failing that jiggle them about until you manage to grip one between your thumb and index finger. There is a screw underneath the buttons that, well......unscrews and you can lift the lid off. Not sure if that necessary solves the drip problem but it just about exhausts my plumbing knowledge!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
My cistern is like that and the top lifts off.

There are a few different types of push button cistern, some the button twists round to unscrew and some the 2 buttons have to be prised up to find a screw.

But not sure why you want the lid off.

Put the kettle on Stat, tea 2 large sugars please, all this plumbing talk making me thirsty,i dont give free plumbing advice to everyone!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Ok I'll give it a go.

I think I've done remarkably well talking blokey, fixing stuff, (that isn't a bicycle) I've even pulled my shorts down so you can see the crack of my arse.
But now the sham is over and you can start calling me girls names, not to mention sticking another zero on the bill:-

How do you get the lid off one a cistern that's similar to this?, it won't just lift off.

View attachment 47240

You have to "dislocate" by pressing in one side of the flush and fingering about , I've never managed to do it however. If you Google it there will be instructions on how to (theoretically) do it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why do you want the lid off?
Look under the cistern

Look round the back of the toilet.
Why not, surely you've worked out the mentality of the person you are dealing with!!

I've just looked under the cistern and there is a dampness there, which is also around the big bit that goes through the wall.
That in turn is just above the skirting board, which seems to have a hole in it.

I assume we've found it.

Should I turn the water off that fills up the cistern, flush the chain then see if the drip is still coming through in the morning.

My cistern is like that and the top lifts off.
Nope just given it a proper brute force and ignorance go and the lid only comes an inch off the main unit.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Why not, surely you've worked out the mentality of the person you are dealing with!!

I've just looked under the cistern and there is a dampness there, which is also around the big bit that goes through the wall.
That in turn is just above the skirting board, which seems to have a hole in it.

I assume we've found it.

Should I turn the water off that fills up the cistern, flush the chain then see if the drip is still coming through in the morning.

Nope just given it a proper brute force and ignorance go and the lid only comes an inch off the main unit.

Turn the water off to the cistern, do you have a valve with a small slot? If so turn it a quarter of a turn with a flat screwdriver, flush the toilet.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Turn the water off to the cistern, do you have a valve with a small slot? If so turn it a quarter of a turn with a flat screwdriver, flush the toilet.
Rocking, I've done that.

I even had the good sense to do a wee first, lucky I'm a Brighton fan as we s*** where we want.

I'll let you stand down for now, fingers crossed we've identified the problem.
What we do next can keep for tomorrow and my day off on Friday.

Thanks.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Rocking, I've done that.

I even had the good sense to do a wee first, lucky I'm a Brighton fan as we s*** where we want.

I'll let you stand down for now, fingers crossed we've identified the problem.
What we do next can keep for tomorrow and my day off on Friday.

Thanks.

Glad to help out, but i would get a plumber in to sort this out, i would help but i am nowhere near West Sussex

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The dripping has stopped, t'is the toilet.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
You need to undo the bath waste and overflow(plug hole) clean and dry the fittings, put silicone sealant onto the bath around the waste hole and on the washer that fits under the waste hole.
Refit the bath waste and overflow, allow silicone to dry before running any water.

Have you checked the toilet?
???

Thanks and what about the toilet?
:facepalm::thumbsup:

The dripping has stopped, t'is the toilet.

:vuvu:
BN9 BHA- Newhaven's top plumber.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You can call me Mario - The Greatest Plumber Ever.

I eventually managed to get the cistern lid off, the hardest job.
I replaced the bottom entry quiet fill valve, and that seems to have stopped any drips.
I don't know what was wrong with the last one, all I know is I'm a plumbing god, and it's all me, me, me. :lol:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
You can call me Mario - The Greatest Plumber Ever.

I eventually managed to get the cistern lid off, the hardest job.
I replaced the bottom entry quiet fill valve, and that seems to have stopped any drips.
I don't know what was wrong with the last one, all I know is I'm a plumbing god, and it's all me, me, me. :lol:
:clap:
Bet you are glad you went to all that trouble taking the bath a basin wastes apart!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
:clap:
Bet you are glad you went to all that trouble taking the bath a basin wastes apart!
That's the best bit.

They were so gunked up the water now vanishes instantly, it's well lush.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here