Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calling All Ex-Pats

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
I have a villa in Moraira, Spain, on the Costa Blanca. Many ExPats here receive UK TV, including me. Most of the residents here receive their TV in either of two ways.
1. Through a UK address with the receiver NOT plugged into the telephone line.
2. Through cable supplied by 'companies' with massive satellite dishes who 'distribute' the pictures here in Spain.

Sky have been aware that massive amounts of people across Europe are employing these tactics to receive their english (UK) TV. Unfortunately for expats agreements are in place between Sky and other satellite picture suppliers across Europe that they don't infringe on each others patch. In other words if you are in Spain you pay the Spanish supplier for your TV, which of course is in Spanish, likewise in France, Greece, italy etc.

This move is going to really annoy a lot of expats, you WILL loose your english TV. On the other side though it is unlikely that foreign expats in the UK will loose theirs (ie Poles for example). The reason? Foreign companies never obey the letter of the law quite like UK companies who are hounded by the UK government to obey European agreements to the letter! The UK is always dutifully obedient (unless of course it is politically unimportant (like the prisoner vote issue). Brits will be disenfranchised far more than any other european national group.

sometimes it sucks to be British doesn't it!

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I have a villa in Moraira, Spain, on the Costa Blanca. Many ExPats here receive UK TV, including me. Most of the residents here receive their TV in either of two ways.
1. Through a UK address with the receiver NOT plugged into the telephone line.
2. Through cable supplied by 'companies' with massive satellite dishes who 'distribute' the pictures here in Spain.

Sky have been aware that massive amounts of people across Europe are employing these tactics to receive their english (UK) TV. Unfortunately for expats agreements are in place between Sky and other satellite picture suppliers across Europe that they don't infringe on each others patch. In other words if you are in Spain you pay the Spanish supplier for your TV, which of course is in Spanish, likewise in France, Greece, italy etc.

This move is going to really annoy a lot of expats, you WILL loose your english TV. On the other side though it is unlikely that foreign expats in the UK will loose theirs (ie Poles for example). The reason? Foreign companies never obey the letter of the law quite like UK companies who are hounded by the UK government to obey European agreements to the letter! The UK is always dutifulyl obedient (unless of course it is politically unimportant (like the prisoner vote issue). Brits will be disenfranchised far more than any other european national group.

sometimes it sucks to be British doesn't it!

I have literally just booked a holiday in a villa on the Costa Blanca for me, wife & 2 kids next summer. Kids will be 3 and 6 by then. One reason for booking was it had uk tv for the kids to keep them quiet in the morning while we packed for day trips / sweated out the vino. Should I be taking a shit load of DVDs now?

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
I have literally just booked a holiday in a villa on the Costa Blanca for me, wife & 2 kids next summer. Kids will be 3 and 6 by then. One reason for booking was it had uk tv for the kids to keep them quiet in the morning while we packed for day trips / sweated out the vino. Should I be taking a shit load of DVDs now?

short answer.......yes

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not ideal but we will still be able to watch on a PC via a VPN using catch up tv and iplayer, just have to get the biggest PC screen available.

Those really really big dishes have to be secured on a concrete base and although the cost to fit is quite high, but will they still receive??

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove

If you do, remember your pathetic weight allowance on the plane!

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Not ideal but we will still be able to watch on a PC via a VPN using catch up tv and iplayer, just have to get the biggest PC screen available.

Those really really big dishes have to be secured on a concrete base and although the cost to fit is quite high, but will they still receive??

Can't get iplayer from abroad. At least, I never could, no matter what tricks I tried.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Eutelsat 28A at 28.5°E

Just re-position your dish for Freesat, doesn't have to come of the Astra sats.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Looks like all is not lost, from SES owners of astra satellites.
ASTRA 2F - SES.com

The European beam will carry the free to air channels that can currently be picked up as well on Freesat. All the decent channels will be on the UK spot beam.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I lived in Greece for many years, as I said earlier, and lost the BBC. I could have received BBC if I'd bought a dish 4m wide.

Some ex pats in Cyprus are now using 3.5m dishes , in the past they could get away with a 1.8m dish.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
So the same problem for every satellite received service? Freesat included :down:

Freesat channels are on Astra and Eutelsat. Eutelsat 28A (formerly known as Eurobird 1) is coming to the end of it's life and Eutelsat 28B (formerly W2M) is already parked at 28.5E ready to take over. Ex pats in southern France and Spain who pay a Sky subscription for any of or all the Sports , Movies and Entertainment packages will be screwed.

sant andreu

Dec 18, 2011
I live in Spain and for a while have been looking forward to seeing the Leeds game with a Spanish Leeds supporting friend.
We are planning to go to an Irish bar where they have Sky. Does all the above mean our plans for next Friday are screwed and we will have to stay home and sort out some internet stream?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I live in Spain and for a while have been looking forward to seeing the Leeds game with a Spanish Leeds supporting friend.
We are planning to go to an Irish bar where they have Sky. Does all the above mean our plans for next Friday are screwed and we will have to stay home and sort out some internet stream?

You should be alright , the replacement satellite is still being tested at another location , it then has to moved across which could take a week and then a few more tests will take place before switchover. The switchover normally takes place in the early hours of the morning and the latest reports suggest it will be done mid November rather than the beginning.

sant andreu

Dec 18, 2011
You should be alright , the replacement satellite is still being tested at another location , it then has to moved across which could take a week and then a few more tests will take place before switchover. The switchover normally takes place in the early hours of the morning and the latest reports suggest it will be done mid November rather than the beginning.
great, thanks for helping me to keep my calm!
All the same, what a bunch of barseturds Sky are! (despite them bringing me my team to a nearby screen, they will then take it away!)

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
recently I've lost bbc1 & bbc2,very stange normally it's channel 5 i lose in the evenings

been like it for 3 or 4 days,found a way round it,watch bbc oxford,can't get south east and can pick up bbc2 NI,not the others

anyone else with any problems

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here