Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Call for England to have its own national anthem

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
England [and Wales] cricket team have, for some time now, adopted Jerusalem which is sung before the start of play.

Has a reasonable amount of stirring passion - could do a job?

SteveTheSeagull

I AM A CRIPPLED ALICE FAN
Feb 14, 2015
England [and Wales] cricket team have, for some time now, adopted Jerusalem which is sung before the start of play.

Has a reasonable amount of stirring passion - could do a job?

Maybe the case but isn't it about time we moved away from religion in terms of a national anthem? Not exactly a religious country and Jerusalem is in Israel so i fail to see how it's connected to our country apart from being said in the entire song thrice . Nor are a royalist country (GSTQ) We live in more a secular country now.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
GSTQ is the anthem for the UK. Personally find it cringing when England play other home nations, and they have their anthem, and we don't. Keep the National anthem for when it is the UK. Land of Hope and Glory or Jerusalem for me. Much more inspiring

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
GSTQ is the anthem for the UK. Personally find it cringing when England play other home nations, and they have their anthem, and we don't. Keep the National anthem for when it is the UK. Land of Hope and Glory or Jerusalem for me. Much more inspiring
I find "I vow to thee, my country" even better than those. It's not about glory or power, directly. It's also nicely non specific about country or religion so people can sing it but not have to mean it about exactly the same thing.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
I find "I vow to thee, my country" even better than those. It's not about glory or power, directly. It's also nicely non specific about country or religion so people can sing it but not have to mean it about exactly the same thing.

Yes, didn't think of that, but agree, better than my suggestions

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

thats my favourite bit - when they have their own tin pot one played to keep them happy, then we play the daddy one.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
As a unionist and a firm believer in a our constitutional monarchy (I personally think there should be a vote every time the monarch dies), having a national anthem for England would be a brilliant thing. I also think there should be a parliament for England. But recognize the complications of having it, as that any English parliament would probably end up replacing the UK parliament in terms of power. I think each UK nation should have its own Parliament and then elect a UK government to deal with defense, forgin policy and and other national issues.

I'm a Brightonian first, then a sussexman, then English, then British, then European and finally a citizen of Earth.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here