Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calderon and Ankergren have signed their contract extensions

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I bet they ****ing did!
BHAFC ,the gift that keeps on giving.

I don't know what the contracts were, but I would be amazed if they weren't significantly lower than their previous ones (which I believe were lower than a lot of others). So we get two players that we know we can rely on if needed, will work hard and won't throw their toys out when not selected, and are proven to be good around the squad and developing young players. What's not to like ?

We can now focus recruitment and budget on the important signings.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Sounds like overkill to me. A year's wages to cover something that I can't recall ever happening, and if it did it could be rectified by the next match. Nah still not convinced it's not a waste of wages :shrug:

It could of course mean that we are not signing another keeper and Walton will go out on loan as we make do with two keepers.

It could have happened just before the Bournemouth game away last Autumn, when we got Al-Habsi on loan, and definitely happened in the 2011/12 season when Kuszczak got a poisoned finger on Polish international duty, Ankergren was taken ill at Huddersfield so Brezovan was in goal with no keeper on the bench.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It could have happened just before the Bournemouth game away last Autumn, when we got Al-Habsi on loan, and definitely happened in the 2011/12 season when Kuszczak got a poisoned finger on Polish international duty, Ankergren was taken ill at Huddersfield so Brezovan was in goal with no keeper on the bench.

I am only asking if it is worth paying a years wages to cover a very rare event for what would almost certainly only be one game where there could be a problem. Getting loan keepers really doesn't seem to be that difficult. So we risk maybe being without a keeper on the bench for one game and avoid having to pay a years salary to a guy to sit on his arse for 99.99% of the season. It just seems like a complete waste of money to me :shrug:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I am only asking if it is worth paying a years wages to cover what would almost certainly only be one game where there could be a problem. Getting loan keepers really doesn't seem to be that difficult. So we risk maybe being without a keeper on the bench for one game and avoid having to pay a years salary to a guy to sit on his arse for 99.99% of the season.

The club has three keepers. Hughton has already said he wants Walton to go out on loan to get experience. I doubt very much if Ankergren is sat on his backside at training. It's a very narrow minded attitude imo.

Edit to add that we got Al-Habsi on loan at the last minute and conceded three goals. It doesn't pay to get a keeper in on a quick loan who doesn't know his defence.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The club has three keepers. Hughton has already said he wants Walton to go out on loan to get experience. I doubt very much if Ankergren is sat on his backside at training. It's a very narrow minded attitude imo.

You are entitled to your opinion.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Many of us harp on here about the loss of that feel good thing with the club, its players and supporters. If anyone can bridge that gap its Calde. He really is a great ambassador for the club; probably one of the best pros we have ever had. The fact that he can still play a bit, in a number of positions, and give 110% every time lends me to think that this is a sensible move by the club. His performances at the end of last season were stronger than most of those who are undoubtedly paid more, and a one year deal is the least they should have offered him. Well done Calde.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here