Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Calde and the U18s

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
And that’s great, but then at what point would you rather experience/development over results?
Always, up until the point the results matter - first team, professional, competitive football, staying in premier league, qualifying for Europe etc - that matters. Until that point, don't give a shit about score line for u16s, u18s, u21s, u23s. They're just feeders for the for first team, either in players or in saleable assets.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Funnily I haven't seen one single post of the sort to which you allude.

Presumably those cheeky monkeys I have on ignore have done one of their legendary pile ins. :shrug:
If I pay a bit more toward Bozza's Windies holiday home, can I can I post 'sack the board' then drag my post up above yours? 😉

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The first two posts are critical of Calderons appointment?
I may have lost the plot. I found this thread confusing. It seemed as if the OP was implying the club had made a bad appointment, on a day we drew with Burnley, as if the two are related. All a fiction from the portals of my tiny mind. Apologies @Guinness Boy

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
As much as I don’t like to say this about a club legend, the 18s have won two all season and were just beaten 6-1 by a Norwich team who didn’t have a single point up to now.

Feels like a poor appointment. What say ye @AZ Gull ?
I think by putting any emphasis on results in youth football you disqualify your opinion via ignorance.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The first two posts are critical of Calderons appointment?
No they aren’t. I asked a question and tagged in the bloke on the board who knows the most about this group.

Firstly, while results are secondary, losing 6-1 to a team that’s lost every other game probably develops no one*. When I was coaching we had to move leagues and our secretary put us in a league that was too difficult. We lost most games and took one thrashing. I started to lose players and those who stayed had their heads drop and effort reduced. And the focus was on development with league tables not published.

A 6-1 result seems anomalous and we’ve only won twice all season. Are we playing De Zerbi tactics? Is the whole squad being utilised? I literally have no idea and tagged someone I thought would know.

Secondly, it matters because, with our business model, the Hinshelwood or Ferguson of two seasons time may be in that squad, or should be.

I’d suggest playing good but winning football would be part of our development path. I don’t think the subject is taboo just because it’s Saint Calde. If he did ever lose his job pretty much everyone on the board would put him up until he found something else and I’m not suggesting he deserves to lose it. I don’t watch U18s but I know someone on here who might 😉

*Of course the first team have also lost 6-1 this season (but to a very good Villa side) so it might be, and probably is, just part of the process.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
No they aren’t. I asked a question and tagged in the bloke on the board who knows the most about this group.

Firstly, while results are secondary, losing 6-1 to a team that’s lost every other game probably develops no one*. When I was coaching we had to move leagues and our secretary put us in a league that was too difficult. We lost most games and took one thrashing. I started to lose players and those who stayed had their heads drop and effort reduced. And the focus was on development with league tables not published.

A 6-1 result seems anomalous and we’ve only won twice all season. Are we playing De Zerbi tactics? Is the whole squad being utilised? I literally have no idea and tagged someone I thought would know.

Secondly, it matters because, with our business model, the Hinshelwood or Ferguson of two seasons time may be in that squad, or should be.

I’d suggest playing good but winning football would be part of our development path. I don’t think the subject is taboo just because it’s Saint Calde. If he did ever lose his job pretty much everyone on the board would put him up until he found something else and I’m not suggesting he deserves to lose it. I don’t watch U18s but I know someone on here who might 😉

*Of course the first team have also lost 6-1 this season (but to a very good Villa side) so it might be, and probably is, just part of the process.
Sure if you spoke to Hinshelwood or Fergie they would be able to talk about some of the absolute SHOEINGS they were on the wrong end of when they were academy players……….

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Maybe the mods can set up a new section of the forum where @Guinness Boy can give his opinions on other things he has not watched/seen or have any knowledge about?
That’s hilarious. You’ve consistently proved you know nothing about our club, our history or English football. If I wasn’t a mod I’d have you on ignore you drippy bore.

I can guarantee I know way more about that age group than you and, in fact more than a few others on here.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sure if you spoke to Hinshelwood or Fergie they would be able to talk about some of the absolute SHOEINGS they were on the wrong end of when they were academy players……….
How does it develop a striker if the team is routinely losing though? I remember listening to the person who sorts out loans discussing appropriate choice of loan clubs. Amongst many things, he said they typically wouldn’t send a ‘keeper to a club which is expected to do very well as they wouldn't get much development, more a middling to lower team where they’d see more action. I presume the reverse can be true for strikers?

I guess the sweet spot is mid-table?

el punal

Funnily I haven't seen one single post of the sort to which you allude.

Presumably those cheeky monkeys I have on ignore have done one of their legendary pile ins. :shrug:
Does that make you an ‘ignoraMASS’? :wink:

I shall now hide in some dark hole where you can’t find me. :thumbsup:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
How does it develop a striker if the team is routinely losing though? I remember listening to the person who sorts out loans discussing appropriate choice of loan clubs. Amongst many things, he said they typically wouldn’t send a ‘keeper to a club which is expected to do very well as they wouldn't get much development, more a middling to lower team where they’d see more action. I presume the reverse can be true for strikers?

Sounds like Lorenz was developing exponentially yesterday.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Isn’t the sweet spot simply some of the cohort eventually becoming valued members of the first team squad? With the others getting pro contracts elsewhere.

Some U18 team adversity may make it easier to see who still ticks the right boxes, in character and technically?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Isn’t the sweet spot simply some of the cohort eventually becoming valued members of the first team squad? With the others getting pro contracts elsewhere.

Some U18 team adversity may make it easier to see who still ticks the right boxes, in character and technically?
My sweet spot comment is more about the immediate requirements for the u18 training program.

But ultimately some making it to the first team squad is the aim. There’s also a seemingly lucrative side-hustle selling players who don’t quite make the Albion grade. On this note, The Athletic made a suggestion we are stock-piling young English keepers for this reason and the fact they have a premium attached to them. In theory a few side-hustles could fund the academy. I appreciate it’s not the u18 but we sold one guy who never made the grade for 10 million.

I agree some adversity is a good thing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here