Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cafes in Brighton

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Cocks is a good shout down by Splashpoint - only does Chicken though (of course.)

However he is shut until October I think as he has taken on a short term contract for Virgin Atlantic doing food in their clubhouse at Heathrow. He is also a bit unreliable as he relies on friends/family quite a lot I think so does shut randomly.

Always good food though and good selection of sides.

Bolton va va

Nov 20, 2012
Cafe Royale - top of Preston St.

Bella Bar Restaurant (it's a cafe ) - facing Morrisons on St James St

plus an Italian place a bit further up St james St on the opposite side for reasonably priced pasta type meals.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Cafe Royale - top of Preston St.

Bella Bar Restaurant (it's a cafe ) - facing Morrisons on St James St

plus an Italian place a bit further up St james St on the opposite side for reasonably priced pasta type meals.

Don't think that satisfies BensGrandads criteria.

"Is there a cafe or pub in Brighton where you can still buy a meal of meat and 3 veg"

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Well done for taking him to games. I'm sure he must enjoy them. It must be quite a pleasant ride along the coast on the 700 too. I'll have to try it one day.

It stops outside my work in the Portslade area of the harbour. Then comes all the way along, and quickly, to near my house close to The Steine. The annoying thing is that it isn't covered in my Brighton and Hove bus pass. :tantrum:

Bolton va va

Nov 20, 2012
Don't think that satisfies BensGrandads criteria.

"Is there a cafe or pub in Brighton where you can still buy a meal of meat and 3 veg"

Maybe the "Italian" is a bit over exotic but the Bella Bar ticks all the boxes. Last time I dined there, they'd run out of Yarkshire puddings for my roast ( & 3 veg ) meal & gave me a few extra roast potatos to compensate, & from my window seat I was able to watch a shoplifter being detained outside Morrisons . Ace

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Have decided that we will catch a train from Worthing about 4pm and walk down Trafalgar St and see what is available if nothing it will be Filletts.or Tiffanys near St Peters Church.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I suppose it's an illustration of how people's tastes have changed that it's difficult in a city with hundreds of places to eat to find somewhere that serves traditional meat and veg.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
It stops outside my work in the Portslade area of the harbour. Then comes all the way along, and quickly, to near my house close to The Steine. The annoying thing is that it isn't covered in my Brighton and Hove bus pass. :tantrum:

Whereas I presume if you were to take the the 49 it would be? It's a similar situ with the 17 in the Brighton & Hove conurbation too. I've watched countless individuals over the years, trying to use their Brighton & Hove bus pass getting on the bus between Patcham and Churchill Square, only to be told by the driver that it isn't valid on Stagecoach, so they have to wait for a 5/5A instead.

It makes sense I suppose, as both the 17 and 700 are primarily meant for the use of passengers travelling longer distances. Brighton & Hove buses are there to transport passengers within the city boundaries.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I suppose it's an illustration of how people's tastes have changed that it's difficult in a city with hundreds of places to eat to find somewhere that serves traditional meat and veg.

Very much so. In terms of eating out, the traditional meat and two veg option is becoming harder and harder to find.

Save that is from on a Sunday, when roast dinners are still very much, alive and kicking.

Jul 7, 2003
People were getting on the 700 at Shoreham and Porsllade last Tuesday and using their tickets as passes so getting free travel.

Think Brighton Lines means his B&H buses pass - not his Albion ticket which the 700 is valid on from Worthing.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
People were getting on the 700 at Shoreham and Porsllade last Tuesday and using their tickets as passes so getting free travel.

Yes any bus company will accept football tickets for travel within the dedicated free travel area, but other passes, (weekly tickets etc), are often only valid on the services of the bus company that issued the pass.

Jul 7, 2003
Yes any bus company will accept football tickets for travel within the dedicated free travel area, but other passes, (weekly tickets etc), are often only valid on the services of the bus company that issued the pass.

Not sure about that. Fairly sure Sussex Bus don't accept Albion tickets and don't think Metro do either - even though they are the owned by the same company as B&H.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not sure about that. Fairly sure Sussex Bus don't accept Albion tickets and don't think Metro do either - even though they are the owned by the same company as B&H.

You are correct neither do and in fact I sent an e mail to BHA asking this and that was the answer I received back that we do not have an arrangement with either company.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The Bevy does meals and has a free bus to matches. Don't know what it offers on match days though - there's a roast on Sunday but I think it's only that day. Pretty good value food though

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
You are correct neither do and in fact I sent an e mail to BHA asking this and that was the answer I received back that we do not have an arrangement with either company.

That's unfortunate. I must admit I thought that both companies did. Bearing in mind that the free travel zone extends as far north as Haywards Heath and Burgess Hill, and both MetroBus and SussexBus operate regular services from those towns into Brighton, I certainly think that they should accept Albion tickets for free travel.

Ok I know that fans can take a train, but not everybody lives close to a station.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here