Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Cabinet reshuffle under way...

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The problem is, try and have a debate on the competence of this government with a "true blue" and all your get is "But Diane Abbott..." as if her gaffes whilst NOT IN GOVERNMENT excuse the multitude of gaffes by by multiple MPs IN GOVERNMENT.

Don't forget Jezzer, betrayed his country and led us to the dogs, all while in opposition.

It's quite incredible how much damage can be done in opposition. :dunce:

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The problem is, try and have a debate on the competence of this government with a "true blue" and all your get is "But Diane Abbott..." as if her gaffes whilst NOT IN GOVERNMENT excuse the multitude of gaffes by by multiple MPs IN GOVERNMENT.

Indeed.

Notwitshstanding (indeed because of) price rises in Europe, my earlier comment was triggered by the fact that were labour in they would, in contrast to Boris, now, be blamed by the (right wing elements of the) media just like they were over the sub prime mortgage crash (which happened in America and swept everyone else away).

Too much of the electorate seems no longer to be interested in what politicians say or do. There are two voting plackards up on my street (upcoming election). Both are for the greens. Both by over 60s professional women living alone. Both in 'the arts'. This is aspirational alignment - there is no evidence locally, or very much nationally, that a Green government delivers more for individuals and society. It may be possible they could and would but.....taking a wild punt like this seems odd. I'm minded of the man who had been let down in a series of relationships and declared that if the current one failed the next would be with a horse.

Equally I find it odd that an elector, having been repeatedly let down by one party, votes the same way again through tribal allegiance or some other type of self-identification. 'But, Jeremy Corbyn' seems to be sufficient reason for some to pull down the ceiling on themselves again.

I can only assume there are an awful lot of contented voters in the UK. Presumably this must be the case, and all the rancour is echo chamber stuff, but on this occasion the echo chamber is not people reinforcing niche views, but a noisy minority of the immutably left and immutably right, shouting at each other ??? Perhaps I'm one of them? My opposition to Corbyn would suggest not, but I have never voted for the blue contingent and can't ever see myself doing so. Oh well. :shrug:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
When you elect a clown expect a circus. As one of the comments in the Guardian article said - when you have a country more worried about Bake Off or Love Island this is what you end up with.

Boris has now reached the point where Trump said "I could shoot someone on 5th Avenue and not lose votes"

Fortunately, he did.

The tide will turn.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Don't forget Jezzer, betrayed his country and led us to the dogs, all whil in opposition.

It's quite incredible how much damage can be done in opposition. :dunce:

Boris my be responsible for thousands of needless deaths owing to his poor handling of Covid in the early stages, but we now have World Beating vaccination, and one can only imagine what state the country would be in now, had Corbyn won.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Indeed.

Notwitshstanding (indeed because of) price rises in Europe, my earlier comment was triggered by the fact that were labour in they would, in contrast to Boris, now, be blamed by the (right wing elements of the) media just like they were over the sub prime mortgage crash (which happened in America and swept everyone else away).

Too much of the electorate seems no longer to be interested in what politicians say or do. There are two voting plackards up on my street (upcoming election). Both are for the greens. Both by over 60s professional women living alone. Both in 'the arts'. This is aspirational alignment - there is no evidence locally, or very much nationally, that a Green government delivers more for individuals and society. It may be possible they could and would but.....taking a wild punt like this seems odd. I'm minded of the man who had been let down in a series of relationships and declared that if the current one failed the next would be with a horse.

Equally I find it odd that an elector, having been repeatedly let down by one party, votes the same way again through tribal allegiance or some other type of self-identification. 'But, Jeremy Corbyn' seems to be sufficient reason for some to pull down the ceiling on themselves again.

I can only assume there are an awful lot of contented voters in the UK. Presumably this must be the case, and all the rancour is echo chamber stuff, but on this occasion the echo chamber is not people reinforcing niche views, but a noisy minority of the immutably left and immutably right, shouting at each other ??? Perhaps I'm one of them? My opposition to Corbyn would suggest not, but I have never voted for the blue contingent and can't ever see myself doing so. Oh well. :shrug:

Agree entirely. I think you've also hit another nail on the head too with Corbyn. Whatever you say about his policies, he was divisive to not only the general electorate, but also to the Labour voters and the party still hasn't recovered. I find the narrative around the threat of "what it...?" from the opposition being worse that what's actually happening baffling.

I say that as someone who has voted Tory in the past (although not for over 20 years), but will likely not do so again on account of them being fundamentally abhorrent as a group now and SO far from anything I would consider morally agreeable or capable. Terrifyingly, this government makes May's government took competent, and Cameron's look like the peak of efficiency and I didn't like either.

I also think it's bizarre that its now frowned upon to change your mind on account of the tribalism you mentioned above.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Boris my be responsible for thousands of needless deaths owing to his poor handling of Covid in the early stages, but we now have World Beating vaccination, and one can only imagine what state the country would be in now, had Corbyn won.
Sorry HWT, the " World " has caught up with us now and we are out of the medals.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sorry HWT, the " World " has caught up with us now and we are out of the medals.

I think my facetious comment may have whooshed you. My comment was about confirmation bias, and how information is cherry picked to inform a perverse narrative.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Indeed. If Dianne Abbott or Jeremy Corbyn made any sort of minor error they were derided as " Not fit to govern " or a "liability" yet somehow actually lying to the electorate seems to be acceptable.

When you listen to PMQ's these days and hear Starmer dissecting Johnson and his government piece by piece and hearing Johnsons's avoidance, you realise, there really is no hope!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think my facetious comment may have whooshed you. My comment was about confirmation bias, and how information is cherry picked to inform a perverse narrative.
I know it was a Whoosh! Just pointing out that the last of The Emperor's New Clothes has been seen through. He is left with nothing now except an astonishing death rate.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Corbyn, whatever you think about him, would have at least made the effort to try to govern for the whole country.

Boris way more divisive. If you don't figure in his electoral calcualtions, he couldn;t care less

Both would have been two of the weaker PM's with weakest front benches in our history. Corbyn less bad than Boris though

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It was Gordon Brown wot started it, without his catastrophic handing of affairs we'd all be rich :mad:

Whatabout Ted Heath and the Three Day Week?

Brilliant band. Especially the difficult third album.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Whatabout Ted Heath and the Three Day Week?

Brilliant band. Especially the difficult third album.

I sat at a table next to him in a restaurant circa '97 near Salisbury . . .he recognised me and asked if I'd do a bass solo on one of his later projects, but I was a bit too busy at the time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here