Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Buying goods from USA

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Anyone with much experience to share in buying goods from the USA from private sellers via internet? I'm thinking in terms of any import duty/VAT that might need to be paid.

I'm interested in possibly buying a used DAP and wondered what the extra costs mighty be.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
I pretty much stopped buying from the US on ebay, as you get caught on customs nigh on everytime now, as well as RM's admin fee. Just doesn't make it worth doing now.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
From recent experience on eBay, I think you pay 20% vat on purchases over $200. The seller can declare them at a lower price, but you're stuffed as far as compensation for loss or damage is concerned. If they're marked as a gift, NCV (no commercial value), no excise duty is charged.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I pretty much stopped buying from the US on ebay, as you get caught on customs nigh on everytime now, as well as RM's admin fee. Just doesn't make it worth doing now.
This

4 years Ago I was having bespoke pistons made for race engines, £450 landed cost For a set of 4.

January this year . . . . . £720

I bought a 1967 bass guitar 7-8 years ago and got done £200 import duty.

seems the couriers are the ones halping themselves the most, Parcelfarce are good compared to UPS and the like.

most of the EU is just as bad now If it's anything of any value.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here